testtest

Springfield Armory XD-E

Thanks for the link, Mike. I have the XD-E in 9mm. I really like it. I prefer hammer fired over striker. I know, I am old fashioned, but then again I am old. The DA is smooth but a little stiff as the article pointed out and the SA is really nice. I have the same holster that the author used. I like the setup and think SA hit a homerun with this one.

Let me say a few things I really like about my XDe. First of all, I like the hammer and the da/sa trigger, plus I like the ability to choose my first shot. By that I mean I can decock and let it go to da, or I can carry it ‘locked And loaded’ where the first shot would be sa. Or, I can carry it decocked and if the need arises, I can pull the hammer back manually and it goes to sa. It is extremely versatile, it works flawlessly, and it is accurate. I can’t think of more you can ask of a firearm.

I recently purchased a 9mm 3.8 that I will say performs as intended without issue. It could be the bottom of my carry guns for concealment esp. OWB. Having said that my new found ability to drill what I'm looking at with the HST 147gr makes concealment a very small issue. IWB isn't an issue for concealment but I like OWB for this gun. I do like the similarity to a 1911. While I have no complaints I'm not sure the 3.8 is for someone looking for the new small easy to conceal gun but if you would like a slightly larger yet conceivable gun this is worth a look. I do realize the review was for the 3.3 but I thought I might offer a brief opinion on the 3.8

Last edited:
I am a new member, but previously pasted at XDTalk. I purchased my XDE 9mm last year and added the Streamlight TLR-6 Laser/Light Combo and an IWB holster from Neptune Concealment in Tampa, FL.

I would like to add a Red Dot, either the Burris Fast Fire lll, Sig Romeo Zero, or Vortex Venom. Has anyone else mounted a Red Dot on their XDE, whose mount did you use. or did you have the slide milled?

I would prefer the Sig Romeo 0 because of its smaller footprint. I know that EGW has a mounting plate for the Burris or Vortes, but cannot find anything for the Sig Romeo 0. I think that Neptune Concealment can modify my holster for the Red Dot fit.

I haven't done any of the measurements on those red dots, but the problem you may run into is that they are wider than the slide. Being a single stack gun, it's a little narrower than your average semi auto. You'd have to get the slide milled, and then likely get a proper adapter plate made as well. Might want to look at the red dot options for the Hellcat - they are likely a smaller footprint.

Personally, unless you are a machinist and can do this your self, i'd buy a gun setup for a red dot already. Just my two cents worth.

I haven't done any of the measurements on those red dots, but the problem you may run into is that they are wider than the slide. Being a single stack gun, it's a little narrower than your average semi auto. You'd have to get the slide milled, and then likely get a proper adapter plate made as well. Might want to look at the red dot options for the Hellcat - they are likely a smaller footprint.

Personally, unless you are a machinist and can do this your self, i'd buy a gun setup for a red dot already. Just my two cents worth.

Thanks for the reply. I have looked at all the dimensions for both the Red Dot and the Mounting Plates for non-OSP firearms. The Sig Sauer Romeo Zero footprint is similar to the Shield Red Dot that suggested for the Springfield Hellcat.

The Romeo Zero at 0.93" is narrower than the Burris or the Vortex. The Mounting Plate has a slight overhang on the slide. That should not interfere with handling. You do need to compensate for the height differential if you try to co-witness.

I have considered having someone mill the slide. Shops quote from $200.00 on up to mill and then refinish the slide.

Using the Mounting Plate with prices ranging from $50.00 to $100.00 is the more economical way to approach this. I have a PX4 Storm with a Burris FastFire Red Dot mounted this way. I modified a Kydex OWB holster to allow for the Red Dot and it works really well.

It takes a little practice to compensate for the height differential when using the Mounting Plate. A pistol with the Red Dot will assist in finding that sweet spot on the target and improve accuracy and repeatability in my opinion.

Please be safe in this time of Social Distancing!

Thanks for the reply. I have looked at all the dimensions for both the Red Dot and the Mounting Plates for non-OSP firearms. The Sig Sauer Romeo Zero footprint is similar to the Shield Red Dot that suggested for the Springfield Hellcat.

The Romeo Zero at 0.93" is narrower than the Burris or the Vortex. The Mounting Plate has a slight overhang on the slide. That should not interfere with handling. You do need to compensate for the height differential if you try to co-witness.

I have considered having someone mill the slide. Shops quote from $200.00 on up to mill and then refinish the slide.

Using the Mounting Plate with prices ranging from $50.00 to $100.00 is the more economical way to approach this. I have a PX4 Storm with a Burris FastFire Red Dot mounted this way. I modified a Kydex OWB holster to allow for the Red Dot and it works really well.

It takes a little practice to compensate for the height differential when using the Mounting Plate. A pistol with the Red Dot will assist in finding that sweet spot on the target and improve accuracy and repeatability in my opinion.

Please be safe in this time of Social Distancing!

Every setup I've seen uses the adapter place in conjunction with the cutout on the slide. If you're taking about just have a couple of holes tapped and using an adapter plate, that is going to put the red dot at a height that may or may not work. It may not have enough adjustment to zero and the further away from the barrel you get the optic, the more it's going to be off at every distance other than the exact one you zero it at. Just something to think about. I'm no gunsmith, but I'd talk it through with somebody before you spend a lot of money disfiguring an innocent gun. ;)

Back