testtest

Springfield Armory XD OSP Slide - Review

Chase: 4.5/5

Longer version: it's pretty damn great. Sure, I could have picked up a Palmetto Dagger with an optics ready slide and optics height sights, but I already had the XD and a bunch of mags (not limited to 10rds, but I digress.)

So money wise, you're into the optics ready slide and Crimson Trace optic for $400. They offer the slide with different mounting plates without an optic for less, each plate running $25.

Fitment is spot on, because it's made by Springfield Armory. They know how to make an XD slide because it goes on their pistol. It should be spot on - and it is. The slide is currently for 9mm only, but that could change. If your barrel is hammered they do offer a slide and barrel combo as well.

Updates: to help with working around an optic the serrations are different than my original XD slide. They are wider and seem deeper cut. They may not actually be deeper, but that's why I said may be. I love the new fixed sights. Super bright by themselves. They'd be great just to shoot without the red dot switched on. I'll get to that later when I talk about the Crimson Trace optic itself. All the functions of the XD still work including the round indicator on top of the slide. Again - it's made by Springfield so they thought of it. Hardware is standard torx, I had the small size required.

The optic. I went with the included Crimson Trace instead of opting for a Holosun plate or other brand because of the price point. This isn't my EDC. It doesn't get the fancy pants jewelry.

The good: the optic is "always on". Meaning I can't forget to turn it on, and likewise won't forget to turn it off. The included hood sets the ambient light sensor to it's low low low nearly off brightness level so the battery should last quite awhile. Crimson Trace had a guesstimate, but because YMMV, it's not worth even trying to remember how long they think it'll last. The finish on the optic is exactly the same black as the slide, so thats cool. The glass is clean and clear out of the box. I did have to adjust the dot position with the included suuuuuper tiny Allen wrenches. I'll do it again when I zero it.

The bad: the battery on the underside of the optic doesn't have a cover, so maybe oil can get to it? Maybe. Also bad - it's always on. See above. Maybe for the price point shake awake wasn't in the cards. But it's a $130 red dot. Get over your stupid BMW self. You fools pay for them signals and don't use them.

The ugly: the elevation and left/right are backwards. That's fun. No instructions are included on the optic.

Final thoughts: see the chase I cut to on line 1. Oh yeah, I had to Dremel the hell out of my BlackHawk!!!!! holster. Taller sights were hitting their heads. Oh yeah, what's dumber than a GlockLife guy? The one standing behind him.

PXL_20220810_015030830.jpg

PXL_20220810_015059452.jpg

PXL_20220810_015045469.jpg

PXL_20220810_015125026.jpg

PXL_20220810_015053174.jpg

Chase: 4.5/5

Longer version: it's pretty damn great. Sure, I could have picked up a Palmetto Dagger with an optics ready slide and optics height sights, but I already had the XD and a bunch of mags (not limited to 10rds, but I digress.)

So money wise, you're into the optics ready slide and Crimson Trace optic for $400. They offer the slide with different mounting plates without an optic for less, each plate running $25.

Fitment is spot on, because it's made by Springfield Armory. They know how to make an XD slide because it goes on their pistol. It should be spot on - and it is. The slide is currently for 9mm only, but that could change. If your barrel is hammered they do offer a slide and barrel combo as well.

Updates: to help with working around an optic the serrations are different than my original XD slide. They are wider and seem deeper cut. They may not actually be deeper, but that's why I said may be. I love the new fixed sights. Super bright by themselves. They'd be great just to shoot without the red dot switched on. I'll get to that later when I talk about the Crimson Trace optic itself. All the functions of the XD still work including the round indicator on top of the slide. Again - it's made by Springfield so they thought of it. Hardware is standard torx, I had the small size required.

The optic. I went with the included Crimson Trace instead of opting for a Holosun plate or other brand because of the price point. This isn't my EDC. It doesn't get the fancy pants jewelry.

The good: the optic is "always on". Meaning I can't forget to turn it on, and likewise won't forget to turn it off. The included hood sets the ambient light sensor to it's low low low nearly off brightness level so the battery should last quite awhile. Crimson Trace had a guesstimate, but because YMMV, it's not worth even trying to remember how long they think it'll last. The finish on the optic is exactly the same black as the slide, so thats cool. The glass is clean and clear out of the box. I did have to adjust the dot position with the included suuuuuper tiny Allen wrenches. I'll do it again when I zero it.

The bad: the battery on the underside of the optic doesn't have a cover, so maybe oil can get to it? Maybe. Also bad - it's always on. See above. Maybe for the price point shake awake wasn't in the cards. But it's a $130 red dot. Get over your stupid BMW self. You fools pay for them signals and don't use them.

The ugly: the elevation and left/right are backwards. That's fun. No instructions are included on the optic.

Final thoughts: see the chase I cut to on line 1. Oh yeah, I had to Dremel the hell out of my BlackHawk!!!!! holster. Taller sights were hitting their heads. Oh yeah, what's dumber than a GlockLife guy? The one standing behind him.

PXL_20220810_015059452.jpg

PXL_20220810_015045469.jpg

PXL_20220810_015125026.jpg

PXL_20220810_015053174.jpg

On your 2nd to last statement the answer is anything with a grip safety! I like my xdm's, but hate the grip safety! I have 1 ct mrd and haven't replaced the battery yet. Might be a different model?

Back