Springfield Armory’s M1A Squad Scout

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member

Shooting a New Rifle

Feature By: Mike Venturino

Springfield Armory’s M1A Squad Scout

1664583858080.png

If I ever get to the point where I'm willing/able to spend over 1k on a gun, the M1A Squad Scout or the full-size M1A would be my first purchase. There Firstline program makes these rifles more affordable, but only the polymer models are currently offered. I'm sure the polymer models are excellent guns, but I've always preferred the wooden models.

If I ever get to the point where I'm willing/able to spend over 1k on a gun, the M1A Squad Scout or the full-size M1A would be my first purchase. There Firstline program makes these rifles more affordable, but only the polymer models are currently offered. I'm sure the polymer models are excellent guns, but I've always preferred the wooden models.
www.lrbarms.com

Get the Minelli GI Contour with hardware installed. $356.95 + shipping. I bought this one a year or so ago, at the time the M1A Loaded was only available locally with the glass stock.

Today I see M1A's all over my area with both walnut stocks and/or glass stocks.

The actual stock fit perfectly, but the wooden handguard needed an hour with a dremel tool to fit it properly...pretty easy. The wood handguard gives it a killer appearance, imo. I guess the handguard is moot for the Scout model, though.

Hey Shooters!

Moderator: Please feel free to assign this to another group.

I have a new, unfired scout squad that I've carefully cleaned.

One thing: I cannot remove the gas plug!! This is to say I've put as much pressure on it as I am comfortable. Do I run the risk of breaking something if I twist it harder? I work on cars a lot, and would like to think I have a sense of what is too hard.

Thanks!

G

Hey Shooters!

Moderator: Please feel free to assign this to another group.

I have a new, unfired scout squad that I've carefully cleaned.

One thing: I cannot remove the gas plug!! This is to say I've put as much pressure on it as I am comfortable. Do I run the risk of breaking something if I twist it harder? I work on cars a lot, and would like to think I have a sense of what is too hard.

Thanks!

G
Mine took a lot of force. Like a lot. Bench vise.

I followed these instructions from another forum and it worked. I cut and pasted it below
————————-
What you need to do until you can do better is get a large crescent wrench and pad the jaws with duct tape to keep from marring the finish on your rifle and use it to support the gas tube assembly so that it doesn't torque on the barrel while you are twisting on the gas tube plug. You can do the same thing if you have a bench mounted vise by padding the jaws of the vise and use the vise to hold the gas tube assembly while you put pressure on the hex headed gas tube nut.

When you get a chance get the proper tool from Brownell's or wherever suites you best.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=25087/Product/M14-M1A-GAS-CYLINDER-WRENCH

Mine took a lot of force. Like a lot. Bench vise.

I followed these instructions from another forum and it worked. I cut and pasted it below
————————-
What you need to do until you can do better is get a large crescent wrench and pad the jaws with duct tape to keep from marring the finish on your rifle and use it to support the gas tube assembly so that it doesn't torque on the barrel while you are twisting on the gas tube plug. You can do the same thing if you have a bench mounted vise by padding the jaws of the vise and use the vise to hold the gas tube assembly while you put pressure on the hex headed gas tube nut.

When you get a chance get the proper tool from Brownell's or wherever suites you best.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=25087/Product/M14-M1A-GAS-CYLINDER-WRENCH
Thanks, KillerFord1977!

I have the wrench you recommend and will follow-your suggestions!

Regards,

G

The 18" Scout was my first, last and favorite SAI M1A.
It started out in one of those USGI synthetic stocks with the black krinkle paint that would chip and peel off, and it ended up bedded in a Boyd's Walnut stock with a bunch of National Match upgrades - all of this work was performed by SAI's custom shop, and it was well on it's way to being transformed into a NM Bush M1A - all that was left to do was remove the scout mount and replace the hand guard.

Here it is right before I was lured to the EBR dark side in 2004.

img13.jpg

I highly recommend field stripping your new rifle, cleaning it, de-burring as needed, polishing the chamber with a chamber brush, and greasing the rifle BEFORE firing the first shot out of your new rifle.

Hey,
New to this forum. Found it by accident trying to research a Springfield Amory rifle I have. Question to anyone who might have some info on this. I have a Springfield Amory M1A "Bush" rifle. (similar to the Squad/Scout) Born in 1987, pretty much all military contract parts (which was the case on these early ones from what I have read). 18 or 18 1/2" barrel. 5 line stamping with a 5 digit serial number. I even have the born on certificate 12-3-87 with broken Brooks seal numbered to the rifle. The stock is a SA newer replacement, (Fiberglass camo stock was one ugly dog).
Trying to get more information on this rifle, maybe old advertisements etc.. cannot find much. I contacted SA and all they could find was when it was shipped and that it had a Camo fiberglass stock.
I have the original box and sleeve it was shipped in too, have had it since I bought it new back in 1987. But the Bush model itself seems to be scarce or rare. Have not been able to bring one up for sale on most of the site forums out there.
Any info would be great, at the very least good conversation on an unusual early model.
Thanks,

Attachments

• IMG_1641.JPG
    IMG_1641.JPG
    904.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1687 (2).jpg
    IMG_1687 (2).jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1645 (2).jpg
    IMG_1645 (2).jpg
    947.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1636.JPG
    IMG_1636.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
IMG_1014.JPG

I did some trading earlier this month and now have a Scout in my collection after a 14 year hiatus... it came in the chassis stock and the only change that I have made so far has been installing a hooded gas lock front sight and a DC Vortex flash hider so I can use my Wind Talker suppressor on it.

Here it is pictured above my Socom length rifle, also equipped with a DC Vortex flash hider on an improved gas lock front sight base.

IMG_1018.JPG

Back