testtest

Springfield Prodigy Torture Test: Did It Survive 10K Rounds?

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled “Springfield Prodigy Torture Test: Did It Survive 10K Rounds?” and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/springfield-prodigy-torture-test-review/.

A few things came to mind as I watched this video… It was, and I mean this constructively, extremely tedious for this viewer, I really don’t need to see all 10,000 rounds fired, I have confidence that if you tell me that’s what you’re going to do as a professional, that’s what will happen. What I did want to know was the concluding thoughts after the trial, so I fast forwarded through most of the footage to learn about that. Two, in this day and age, when ammo has been so hard to come by, and until recently, very costly, I cringe when I see someone run through 10,000 rounds of it gratuitously. I know…I know…there was a purpose in mind, but did you need 10K rounds to accomplish that and with just one model? Based on everything available out there in the media about this new offering from Springfield, I would have really have preferred to see some testing with the 5” version, which I’ve learned and witnessed is the model exhibiting most of the problems, i.e., choking on fodder and failing to return to battery. Thirdly, I have XXL hands, and as a result have always struggled with the safety mechanism on the 1911’s. The standard grip of which being so small in my hands that the mass of my support grip can override the pressure of my strong hand on the safety and will inadvertently lock the pistol up…most disconcertingly. A double stack 1911 style frame, on the other hand, can mitigate this. So, I was excited about the Prodigy, particularly the 5” or full sized version. But, with the price of a ticket being ~ $1,500, maybe I’ll just wait until the version 2 comes along. Just thinking 🤔

I love the idea of the Prodigy and I was thinking that it would be my first 1911 in 9mm. However, nearly every gun store I visit has stated that the Prodigys have been problematic and that I should wait for the next "batch". That does not seem to be the case with the tested gun. Thoughts? I'm really itching to buy one and this testing makes me want to pull the trigger (pun intended). Thanks!

I love the idea of the Prodigy and I was thinking that it would be my first 1911 in 9mm. However, nearly every gun store I visit has stated that the Prodigys have been problematic and that I should wait for the next "batch". That does not seem to be the case with the tested gun. Thoughts? I'm really itching to buy one and this testing makes me want to pull the trigger (pun intended). Thanks!
I trust opinions from gun store employees maybe only slightly more than YouTube reviewers.

My 4.25" Prodigy has been excellent and trouble-free.

I hear that. They have just been so uniform in saying there has been trouble with them. Great to hear that yours has been great.
I'm far from the exception. Check out the 'Prodigy' thread on here for a deeper dive into the topic. Not denying that some folks had legit issues when they were first released. And some had minor issues that were easily fixed with a stronger recoil spring, etc. But I'd also say some of the reported "issues" were clearly user-induced. And many, myself included, have had no problems at all.

For those who have had experienced any real issues they couldn't resolve on their own, all the reports I've seen are that Springfield made it right, and that their Prodigies came back running perfectly.

Last edited:

I love the idea too, just wish theyd offer in additional calibers. Not everyone choses to shoot 9mm. Some can handle more powerful cartridges and enjoy shooting them. Theres no flavor when its only 9mm, just vanilla. Sick of everyone and their 9mm hype. I hear it all the time with these rookies, oh i gotta have a Staccato! If you goin to shoot 9mm just shoot what dept gives you. why pay 3700 bucks for 9mm. For that get what you want.

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled “Springfield Prodigy Torture Test: Did It Survive 10K Rounds?” and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/springfield-prodigy-torture-test-review/.

good afternoon,
New to the forum and a long time admirer of Springfield's firearms. I own most of the XD lines and a couple hellcats and was really excited to purchase the Prodigy. I grew up on 1911 platforms so this one was something I was looking forward to. A mechanical safety is something I've always gravitated towards. So this is where I have to ask for some help. I have run a couple hundred rounds through my Prodigy and am finding that about every 50 rounds or so mid magazine the firearm cycles fine and chambers the next round but the trigger fails to reset. I then have to rerack and it runs fine. Some on the this forum have indicated that may be operator error. Could be that as I also spent years with Glocks my trigger finger release and reset can be very short if at all. So am I doing something wrong or is it the firearm? I also mounted a Holoson 507 and the firearm is wonderfully accurate so I would love to not send it back but I am continuing to carry my Hellcat RDP with the wasp until I feel comfortable. thanks much

I'm far from the exception. Check out the 'Prodigy' thread on here for a deeper dive into the topic. Not denying that some folks had legit issues when they were first released. And some had minor issues that were easily fixed with a stronger recoil spring, etc. But I'd also say some of the reported "issues" were clearly user-induced. And many, myself included, have had no problems at all.

For those who have had experienced any real issues they couldn't resolve on their own, all the reports I've seen are that Springfield made it right, and that their Prodigies came back running perfectly.
I had a similar story; I had 15ish malfunctions my first 100 rounds. Put a heavier recoil spring in (5 inch version) and have since had zero issues, and it shoots like a dream.

Ok good to know and good point. In my experience, Springfield has always stood behind their products. I guess I'm going to have to pick one up!

I think hardly a day goes by…someone doesn’t have something bad or negative so say about something on the interwebs.
I read the reviews, I knew the issues.
Bought one anyways, I’ve always had really good luck with stuff like this.
Luck ran out, issue after issue, SA took outstanding care of me.
Issue free since.

I’ve got a newer Harley M8 motor’s touring bike. You can read hundreds upon hundreds of stories of issues with them since introduced.

You know what you barely read? Thousands upon thousands of zero issues…

My Prodigy is 22K in serial number, I’ve read a couple dozen different reports of issues.
What makes me laugh each time is… buy a brand new gun…then Macguyver it yourself, get new mags, get new spring, get new this and that… instead of use the warranty as intended.
I’m not opposed to any of my own work…but damn, give the manufacturer a chance to make it right.

"At 5,000 rounds, the gun received another solid fieldstrip cleaning and lubrication, and I also replaced the recoil spring"
Why was the recoil spring replaced at 5,000 rds? Is this something that we as shooters need to expect to do if we have a Prodigy?
Thanks

Im pretty sure the industry has enough 9mms. Wish they'd pull their heads out and build in real cartridge. Once they build a 10mm or 45 ill buy it. I quit shooting BB guns 30 yrs ago.

Yeah yeah yeah, 10mm good ,9mm bad, Yada Yada Yada. Me he man only shoot cannons, no shoot most popular police and military caliber in world.

Got to love those who feel in order to make thier case they must denigrate some other choices.

Last edited:
"At 5,000 rounds, the gun received another solid fieldstrip cleaning and lubrication, and I also replaced the recoil spring"
Why was the recoil spring replaced at 5,000 rds? Is this something that we as shooters need to expect to do if we have a Prodigy?
Thanks
I think if you do a little research…you’re going to find that recoil springs, depending on several factors, are recommended replacement at anywhere to 2K to 10K rounds.
Zero issue with replacing it at 5K

I think if you do a little research…you’re going to find that recoil springs, depending on several factors, are recommended replacement at anywhere to 2K to 10K rounds.
Zero issue with replacing it at 5K
Yes Sir, that is correct. But if I know this going into it, I personally would go to a different gun. I had and loved a Sig 1911 but after less than 2000 rds the recoil spring started to fail. In my profession. I would not take/carry a pistol that I had to keep records of how many rounds I fired though it just to make sure I replaced the spring before it failed. I could consider replacing after 10,000 rds but not much less than that.

Yeah yeah yeah, 10mm good ,9mm bad, Yada Yada Yada. Me he man only shoot cannons, no shoot most popular police and military caliber in world.

Got to love those who feel in order to make thier case they must denigrate some other choices.

Well to be clear he was only stating his desire for them to produce in other calibers. You attacked his view. Personally I agree the market is flooded with 9mm's. As for being most popular doesnt necessarily mean the best. Remember many things in LE/Military are lowest bidder. And the military went to 9mm not because it was better but because it was NATO. Read up on why military went away from 38 to 45. My 2 cents worth.

Back