testtest

Staccato drop test failure

ECS686

Custom
Just an FYI Ben Stoeger did a drop test on his new Staccato with a primed case and it failed. It did not drop the hammer so it was firing pin inertia

I’m not an in the weeds 1911 smith but know my 70 series has a titanium firing pin and stiffer FP springs that is supposed to help prevent this.

Anyone else have experience with Staccato? I know the U.S. Marahals Service SOG runs Staccato and I don’t believe they had this in their testing.

Anyway thoughts? Other than don’t drop it or a Sig reference

Just an FYI Ben Stoeger did a drop test on his new Staccato with a primed case and it failed. It did not drop the hammer so it was firing pin inertia

I’m not an in the weeds 1911 smith but know my 70 series has a titanium firing pin and stiffer FP springs that is supposed to help prevent this.

Anyone else have experience with Staccato? I know the U.S. Marahals Service SOG runs Staccato and I don’t believe they had this in their testing.

Anyway thoughts? Other than don’t drop it or a Sig reference

Wow, for one thing…..I would NEVER drop any gun on the concrete PERIOD….. especially a high dollar one…this guy must have a screw loose or something to do this to his gun just for a video to get reactions……for one, how do you know he didn’t change things on this pistol…..to me this is staged….

Wow, for one thing…..I would NEVER drop any gun on the concrete PERIOD….. especially a high dollar one…this guy must have a screw loose or something to do this to his gun just for a video to get reactions……for one, how do you know he didn’t change things on this pistol…..to me this is staged….
Supposedly he never changed anything. He is a champion USPSA guy (or was apparently USPSA banned him for calling them in some drama more how he did it than doing supposedly but I don’t follow that BS to care)

He does a lot of classes and testing on stuff but I will admit some get out off with some of his content or way he’s out personal disagreements out there.

That said I feel most of his content is spot on as far as what he shows as far as any beef he has or other shave that’s between them.

My grandma lived to be 99 and have all her teeth because she mixed her own business so that’s sort of how I try to be LOL

Have never heard of this from any source, much less one I personally trust. Not familiar enough with Staccato to know if they use a firing pin safety but I assume no. So that makes me initially skeptical, but with no block..., anything mechanical can have defects and can fail, sooooo there should be a bit of benefit of the doubt here.

However, unless he knew for certain it was going to happen it seems a bit much to drop an expensive pistol on concrete for a video, especially if nothing were to happen except he damages his pistol. Not much of a video there.

If he had no prior knowledge of a fault thst would cause it in most cases, either factory stock, or induced, then it's exceeding odd how the one in a million drop fire would happen while filming that one essential take before the pistol is FUBARed.

Put me in the skeptical camp.

Last edited:
Have never heard of this from any source, much less one I personally trust. Not familiar enough with Staccato to know if they use a firing pin safety but I assume no. So that makes me initially skeptical, but with no block..., anything mechanical can have defects and can fail, sooooo there should be a bit of benefit of the doubt here.

However, unless he knew for certain it was going to happen it seems a bit much to drop an expensive pistol on concrete for a video, especially if nothing were to happen except he damages his pistol. Not much of a video there.

If he had no prior knowledge of a fault thst would cause it in most cases, either factory stock, or induced, then it's exceeding odd how the one in a million drop fire would happen while filming that one essential take before the pistol is FUBARed.

Put me in the skeptical camp.
Stoegers does a lot of testing I believe he has a few thousand rounds through it. It is more of a business so dropping something like that is normal A lot of folks go beyond beta testing (look at Aaron Cowan dropping pretty expensive Red Dots)

So while we wouldn’t do it there is some value so we know or can look into it.

Just posted for conversation and for from anyone familiar to add their experience in.

Makes no difference to me. While I am not likely to get into the 2011 game, this wouldn't keep me from buying or using one. CZ's are not drop-safe, either. My M1 .30-cal & M1A are certainly not drop safe (I know...rifles...but the risk of chambering a round with that floating pin is always in the back of my mind). I wonder if we know how many firearms are not "drop-safe". The number might surprise us. Go ahead Annihilator, post your Glock Perfection gif/meme!

Makes no difference to me. While I am not likely to get into the 2011 game, this wouldn't keep me from buying or using one. CZ's are not drop-safe, either. My M1 .30-cal & M1A are certainly not drop safe (I know...rifles...but the risk of chambering a round with that floating pin is always in the back of my mind). I wonder if we know how many firearms are not "drop-safe". The number might surprise us. Go ahead Annihilator, post your Glock Perfection gif/meme!
1716765865298.jpeg

Back