testtest

Stainless vs Black finish

All of my "woods" guns are now stainless steel. Range guns and carry guns not so much. While I own rifles like Marlin 39s, they only go to the range, never hunting anymore. The single exception is my Ruger .44 magnum carbine. Long camping and hunting trips offer too many chances for rust and trying to clean a rifle in a tent when its raining just doesn't work for me. My carry guns are protected and well taken care of so I don't worry about them.

Shotguns are a forced choice. Other than some Ruger Red Labels and a Browning single barrel trap gun, stainless steel doesn't show up. But, shotguns are usually for day trips so the problem is less.

In the end, it is all about personal preference.

All of my "woods" guns are now stainless steel. Range guns and carry guns not so much. While I own rifles like Marlin 39s, they only go to the range, never hunting anymore. The single exception is my Ruger .44 magnum carbine. Long camping and hunting trips offer too many chances for rust and trying to clean a rifle in a tent when its raining just doesn't work for me. My carry guns are protected and well taken care of so I don't worry about them.

Shotguns are a forced choice. Other than some Ruger Red Labels and a Browning single barrel trap gun, stainless steel doesn't show up. But, shotguns are usually for day trips so the problem is less.

In the end, it is all about personal preference.
While my “nice day” shotguns are Beretta 686’s...my foul weather shotguns are Benelli autos (M1S90). Their surface treatment is very rust resistant, chrome lined bore prevents worries there...

I try to go with a matte finish on my rifles, my hunting rifles. Now a lot of companies are cerakoting their barrels which I like. I wish I would have known that Bergara was and had gotten one of theirs.... oh well. Like Hans said there are finishes that are really good at corrosion. The Duty Treat on my DW is one of my favorites although it’s supposedly picky about what you clean it with.

Back