testtest

States with 10 round restriction on mags...........

billjr

Alpha
Hello to everyone, this is my first post other then a couple of responses. I'm a 73 y/o from Connecticut waiting for my permit. I've completed all testing, applications and fingerprints but it can take 4-6 weeks here. So my very first question, I would love to get a Springfield XD-M Elite 3.8" 9mm compact. The issue is it ships with 2, 14 rd mags (Connecticut has a 10 rd max on their mags). Apparently SA does offer a 10 rd mag that will fit this, but there's no package set up this way. I talked with our gun shop here and he said they will not even ship the 14 rd set to Ct. If I could get one I could just remove the mag well and buy 10 rd mags. Is there any legal way to either purchase the gun minus any mags, or have the set changed by the seller to substitute the 14 rd mags with 10 rd mags? This seems like such a nice conceal carry in that setup with the nice short grip, 10 rd mags would be perfect. Anyway just curious if anyone else has ever addressed an issue like this. Thanks for any help or advice.

Bill

Hello to everyone, this is my first post other then a couple of responses. I'm a 73 y/o from Connecticut waiting for my permit. I've completed all testing, applications and fingerprints but it can take 4-6 weeks here. So my very first question, I would love to get a Springfield XD-M Elite 3.8" 9mm compact. The issue is it ships with 2, 14 rd mags (Connecticut has a 10 rd max on their mags). Apparently SA does offer a 10 rd mag that will fit this, but there's no package set up this way. I talked with our gun shop here and he said they will not even ship the 14 rd set to Ct. If I could get one I could just remove the mag well and buy 10 rd mags. Is there any legal way to either purchase the gun minus any mags, or have the set changed by the seller to substitute the 14 rd mags with 10 rd mags? This seems like such a nice conceal carry in that setup with the nice short grip, 10 rd mags would be perfect. Anyway just curious if anyone else has ever addressed an issue like this. Thanks for any help or advice.

Bill
Hi Bill it would probably be easier to move to a state without all those draconian laws. I lived in Connecticut for 54 years. It so nice to live in a state that believes in the 2A. I live in Kentucky now.
Welcome to the forum.

Wish I could Keystone, but it's a little to late for me and my wife to move at this point. I too should have moved long ago, it just keeps getting worse here with everything, not just the 2A. Thanks for the welcome....where abouts in Ct did you live?
Grew up in West Hartford, lived in Middletown 24 years and then a few years very close to Newtown. A few miles from Sandy Hook.

Hi Bill it would probably be easier to move to a state without all those draconian laws. I lived in Connecticut for 54 years. It so nice to live in a state that believes in the 2A. I live in Kentucky now.
Welcome to the forum.
This. 👆👆
Welcome Bill. I too left Haddam and Old Saybrook for greener pastures long ago.
i think you’ll have to find a private seller on the mags

Bill
You could have a gun ordered from a local gun store or have one transferred to the store from an online purchase and tell the store to keep the non-compliant mags because they are allowed to handle, own, & sell them to non prohibited people such as law enforcement or they can sell them out of state. Avoid the big box stores because it will probably be against store policy even though this process is legal. I would definitely speak to a different store then the one you talked to initially. When I lived in Massachusetts this was one way of buying non-compliant guns and having the store them make pass the state requirements, sometimes this meant things like pinning the mags or welding a flash hider.

Last edited:
Keystone and Killer, If you can imagine, it's only gotten worse here. Plus you guys lived up North in nice rural areas. I'm down here in Norwalk, 20 mins from NY state line. As you might imagine we're starting to get the people leaving NY in droves here. You both without a doubt make a smart choice, but I'm sure you know that.

You could have a gun ordered from a local gun store or have one transferred to the store from an online purchase and tell the store to keep the non-compliant mags because they are allowed to handle, own, & sell them to non prohibited people such as law enforcement or they can sell them out of state. Avoid the big box stores because it will probably be against store policy even though this process is legal. I would definitely speak to a different store then the one you talked to initially. When I lived in Massachusetts this was one way of buying non-compliant guns and having the store them make pass the state requirements, sometimes this meant things like pinning the mags or welding a flash hider.

Keystone and Killer, If you can imagine, it's only gotten worse here. Plus you guys lived up North in nice rural areas. I'm down here in Norwalk, 20 mins from NY state line. As you might imagine we're starting to get the people leaving NY in droves here. You both without a doubt make a smart choice, but I'm sure you know that.
Bill Kentucky is not up “North” more mid west but I get what you’re saying.
Sandy Hook opened the door for Connecticut to do what they did along with the current administration.
It’s hard to fathom that CT is known as the constitution state but in reality it’s the tax you to death state.

OK, that makes sense to me. If the information I've read on SA websites is correct it should just be a magazine swap out. The local gun store I know is hesitant to receive a new gun (I still have trouble saying "gun", in the Army that meant 25 pushups, haha). Once I get my permit I will try what you mentioned at a store upstate, in fact I'll take a printout of the SA web site that shows the 10 rd mag that indicates it's for XD's and XD-M's. I never thought of the exception for the 10 rd limitation having the exceptions you mentioned, I did in fact read them but it just didn't register. Thank you for taking the time to respond with that very helpful information.

I also appreciate all the responses and pleasant people here who have responded with their helpful and informative information.

Bill

Bill Kentucky is not up “North” more mid west but I get what you’re saying.
Sandy Hook opened the door for Connecticut to do what they did along with the current administration.
It’s hard to fathom that CT is known as the constitution state but in reality it’s the tax you to death state.
No, lol, I meant you lived up North of me when you lived in Ct. I'm older but that part of my mind still functions...somewhat, haha. I agree Sandy Hook sure turned things loose here. Taxes PLUS they're not following the Constitution and 2A.

Hi Bill and welcome to the forum. Living in MA, we have the same moronic law here. You have an interesting scenario as the lowly, licensed civilians here would never get out of a store with a mag over 10 rounds. (unless pre ban) Not knowing anything about CT laws, I would hope your local gun store would never put you in that situation of taking ownership of something that is banned. They must have something in play for situations like that. In my state, the authorities are looking for an excuse to revoke and confiscate. Make sure you study your states laws and remember the person selling to you is most likely not an expert with law interpretation. Good luck with you new permit.

No, lol, I meant you lived up North of me when you lived in Ct. I'm older but that part of my mind still functions...somewhat, haha. I agree Sandy Hook sure turned things loose here. Taxes PLUS they're not following the Constitution and 2A.
That was my bad so with CT being so small you must live on the coast or close to it, Connecticut is a beautiful state but it’s so sad that it’s impossible to afford to live there. Good luck with your magazine issue and getting your permit. The state makes EVERYTHING very difficult.

Back