testtest

Staying Safe Around Mountain Lions & What To Do if You Encounter One

Cougars are classified as game animals in Washington. They can be hunted with centerfire .22 caliber (so no rim fire). Although the state eliminated hound hunting here 1996 and success rates have decreased. I have seen two in my life and neither were close distance. Got to hear one scream at night though (never saw it) and that will raise the hairs on the neck when your hiking out of your hunting spot in the dark (well headlamp). Love that I get to live in an area with such an amazing animal.

Urbanization does cause issues but livestock ranching has driven a lot of predator population reduction and reduction in other species (wild horses). I think people tend to leave that aspect out of the conversation. They also did it with a lot of government support.

We have the Florida Panther which is endangered due to shrinking habitat and roadkills. The biologists have brought some cougars in from out west in hopes they will breed. They range over several hundred square miles. Biologists tell me they will kill a yearling deer about every 3 days so they have to range over a large area for game. We noticibly get one in our neighborhood every few years. We can usually tell as the deer become unusually skittish and we will hear a scream now and again. I have seen their tracks by the creek and have had one close encounter when cruising my property on my Gator. We live adjacent to a half million acre state forest. These cats are magnificent creatures. I have never heard of one attacking a human, but they are shy of people and have plenty deer, hogs, rabbits, turkeys, etc.

Missouri dept. of conservation until very recently has denied the presence of mountain lions/cougars in the state of Missouri for decades. I'm not sure why. My mom's cousins were seeing them in southern Mo. in the 50s and 60s. When they would report it the game agents would tell them they were seeing something else, like Bobcats. :rolleyes:
I guess with the advent of cell phones eventually people started getting pictures of the big cats and the dept. of conservation could no longer deny it. I've never heard of anyone being attacked by one here though. But these rednecks would probably kill them if they see them. We recently started having more and more black bear sightings too. They travel a long way. I was more worried about the hillbillies killing them than any issue caused by the bears.

As for the cougars, god knows they are welcome to take out some of these deer. You can't swing a dead black bear without hitting a deer around here.

That's solid info that applies to any big cat. Just don't panic. When an encounter starts you still have a very good liklihood of walking away.

I live where the jaguars are. They're no risk because they are too good at avoiding humans. And there is a very low chance of seeing the others.

In this case the mother sounds like she thought the hiker was looking for food. This was a motherly aggression rather than a predatory one.

Missouri dept. of conservation until very recently has denied the presence of mountain lions/cougars in the state of Missouri for decades. I'm not sure why. My mom's cousins were seeing them in southern Mo. in the 50s and 60s. When they would report it the game agents would tell them they were seeing something else, like Bobcats. :rolleyes:
I guess with the advent of cell phones eventually people started getting pictures of the big cats and the dept. of conservation could no longer deny it. I've never heard of anyone being attacked by one here though. But these rednecks would probably kill them if they see them. We recently started having more and more black bear sightings too. They travel a long way. I was more worried about the hillbillies killing them than any issue caused by the bears.

As for the cougars, god knows they are welcome to take out some of these deer. You can't swing a dead black bear without hitting a deer around here.
We have had the same thing happening here in Southern Illinois. Several sightings were made and reported but the Dept. of Conservation made the same statements about nothing like that around here. I saw my first track in 1970. Now a few confirmed reports have been made and it has changed to , " They are just passing through."

Right.

We have had the same thing happening here in Southern Illinois. Several sightings were made and reported but the Dept. of Conservation made the same statements about nothing like that around here. I saw my first track in 1970. Now a few confirmed reports have been made and it has changed to , " They are just passing through."

Right.
Same here in Kentucky. Per DNR there “are none in Ky” AND “we get reports all the time”😳. Both comments from the SAME person on the same phone all after the neighbor and I saw one.

They've even turned up in Omaha was really does not seem like it would be Mountain Lion Habitat to me.
FB_IMG_1652940288978.jpg

I walked right up on homegirl here one night at work. For whatever reason this place used live catch traps for all their mouse traps and they would feed the mice to this bobcat.

When I found her she was curled up next to the chicken coop because it was heated.

She didn't seem to least bit perturbed that I was there.

I remember reading that adding “eyes” to the back of your hat/cover will keep cats from attacking you, as they usually attack from behind, when they think they are not seen!

I remember reading that adding “eyes” to the back of your hat/cover will keep cats from attacking you, as they usually attack from behind, when they think they are not seen!
They put a face on the back of hats in India in very rural areas where the grass is taller than people, as they know a Tiger prefers to attack from the back. From their statements, it does work very well.

All the animals once roamed all the world but were killed off. Many animals went extinct and others were killed to almost extinction and are protected. Hunting with correct management, those animals and people will be fine.

No different than swimming in the ocean and you get hit by a shark, that is their world and humans are the intruders.

The bottom line is, be fully aware of your surroundings at all times and do not have them associate you as a food source with food, garbage etc.

Back