testtest

Steel vs. Polymer Guide Rods

Interesting as when he reached out to Walther he was asked to buy another at $50. That is why we went steel.

Correct is was what held the captured spring assembly together.
I'm sorry but my bit of OCD is still a bit leery of polymer in that location that takes such a beating in use.

Sounds like he reached out to Walther before they were aware and did something about the problem. It is strange they asked him to buy one though as I know a few guys who Walther sent them to for free.

The rod itself takes very little beating. The spring takes most of it.

Does the Apex trigger in the SDVE go back and hit a wall..then break ? I'm no trigger snob, but i have one that has just been taking up space in the safe for yrs because the trigger sucks so bad.
The Apex trigger is much smoother than the original SDVE trigger, hits a wall, then breaks cleanly. It is a significant upgrade from the original trigger. I consider the Apex to be a "good" trigger. Some reviewers make it out to be the best trigger ever made, but I think that is mainly due to the stock SDVE trigger being so bad.

The Apex trigger is much smoother than the original SDVE trigger, hits a wall, then breaks cleanly. It is a significant upgrade from the original trigger. I consider the Apex to be a "good" trigger. Some reviewers make it out to be the best trigger ever made, but I think that is mainly due to the stock SDVE trigger being so bad.
Thanks.. I think i'm gonna try to install one in mine.. I have nothing to lose if i screw it up..lol.

I was all set to put one in my main Shield until I tried my buddy's. The difference to me was marginal at best. The main advantage seemed to be getting rid of the stupid hinged trigger that came on the Shield. That didn't prove to be enough of an upgrade for me to make the swap. I shoot that Shield very well, even with the stupid trigger.

Perhaps by now you have gotten far enough along in the thread to see where I responded to the person who addressed this ?
I’m saying they both do. The 9 and the 380.

With 380s polymer guide rods are common. I won’t but anything with more gusto that a 380 that has a plastic guide rod. I failed to check the 9EZ before I bought it.

I’m saying they both do. The 9 and the 380.

With 380s polymer guide rods are common. I won’t but anything with more gusto that a 380 that has a plastic guide rod. I failed to check the 9EZ before I bought it.
If it's a carry gun I am most likely going to replace a polymer guide rod in any gun.

Are there SS rods available anywhere for the EZs ?

If it's a carry gun I am most likely going to replace a polymer guide rod in any gun.

Are there SS rods available anywhere for the EZs ?
That I couldn’t tell you. I’ve never been a big S&W polymer fan. I only bought that 9EZ to try to convince the wife to step up from her 380ez. That didn’t happen so I just sold it off.

That I couldn’t tell you. I’ve never been a big S&W polymer fan. I only bought that 9EZ to try to convince the wife to step up from her 380ez. That didn’t happen so I just sold it off.
I got my dad the EZ .380 before there was such a thing as the EZ9. He is 82 years old and can no longer rack any of his semi autos. In fact he gave me all his 1911s because he can't rack them or comfortably shoot them anymore. He can rack the EZ .380 pretty easily and the problems that were so prevalent in this gun when they first came out, (which is when I bought his) his hasn't exhibited any problems and we have over 1000 rounds through it now. Neither him or I were ever fans of even the 9mm, much less the .380. We both have always shot and owned .45s. I still very much prefer them. He shoots the .380 pretty well and keeps it loaded with quality SD rounds. Sadly I think his mental faculties have largely rendered him incapable of truly defending himself should the need arise. He still keeps the EZ close to him for comfort, but I have given my mother, also a fine shooter for many, many years, a nice revolver ( Colt Diamondback .38 sp ) and since she always favored the old Maks she has my Russian 9x18 Makarov. She also knows her way around the BPS which she has handy.

Dad mentioned upgrading to the EZ9 a few months back, but between his physical and mental condition and the fact that a 9mm isn't going to gain him any advantage at the kind of distances he would encounter I gently nudged him away from the idea.

I got my dad the EZ .380 before there was such a thing as the EZ9. He is 82 years old and can no longer rack any of his semi autos. In fact he gave me all his 1911s because he can't rack them or comfortably shoot them anymore. He can rack the EZ .380 pretty easily and the problems that were so prevalent in this gun when they first came out, (which is when I bought his) his hasn't exhibited any problems and we have over 1000 rounds through it now. Neither him or I were ever fans of even the 9mm, much less the .380. We both have always shot and owned .45s. I still very much prefer them. He shoots the .380 pretty well and keeps it loaded with quality SD rounds. Sadly I think his mental faculties have largely rendered him incapable of truly defending himself should the need arise. He still keeps the EZ close to him for comfort, but I have given my mother, also a fine shooter for many, many years, a nice revolver ( Colt Diamondback .38 sp ) and since she always favored the old Maks she has my Russian 9x18 Makarov. She also knows her way around the BPS which she has handy.

Dad mentioned upgrading to the EZ9 a few months back, but between his physical and mental condition and the fact that a 9mm isn't going to gain him any advantage at the kind of distances he would encounter I gently nudged him away from the idea.
Sorry to hear this about your dad, I know it can be tough at times

Sorry to hear this about your dad, I know it can be tough at times
Thanks buddy. It is tough watching the strongest, most brutal man you ever met become a feeble old man doddering around in between dizzy spells. He beat cancer twice and has outlived every male member of his family that we can geneologically date, which is the 1700s some time. He breathes through a hole in his neck and talks with a vibrating machine. All that and for the last 5 or 6 years he has had blocked up carotids, only one of which is suitable for stents due to excessive scar tissue from his surgeries. Meaning that he is getting about 20% of the oxygen to his brain that he is supposed to be getting.

Growing up my dad was a scary guy. Even all my friends were afraid of him. He was raised by a domineering mother in a poor family on the south side of St. Louis and that's just the way he was. He mellowed dramatically after his kids were raised, but those tough, early years growing up made me the man I am and prepared me to handle anything stupid enough to come my way. My sister still holds all that against him, but I never for a second blamed him for anything. He was tough but he took his job as a father very seriously and everything he did was to prepare his kids for the kind of tough life he had growing up.

Anyway, it's going to be very tough to lose him.

Back