testtest

Stopping A Bear Attack: Bear Defense is More Difficult Than You Think

BET7

Ronin
Founding Member
Tips and skills helpful if encountering a Bear attack. Good article, I learned somethings I didn't know. I do have Black Bear in my area, in fact on evening, a 300+ pounder walked about 5 feet from my screened back door. If there was any food close by, it could have been through the screen within seconds and basically in my lap. Fortunately, it wandered towards my detached garage, and when I remotely close the garage door, it jumped a 4 foot stone wall and was into the neighbors back yard withing seconds. Closing the door startled it enough to get it moving on it's way.

!

Tips and skills helpful if encountering a Bear attack. Good article, I learned somethings I didn't know. I do have Black Bear in my area, in fact on evening, a 300+ pounder walked about 5 feet from my screened back door. If there was any food close by, it could have been through the screen within seconds and basically in my lap. Fortunately, it wandered towards my detached garage, and when I remotely close the garage door, it jumped a 4 foot stone wall and was into the neighbors back yard withing seconds. Closing the door startled it enough to get it moving on it's way.

!
1602869050456.jpeg

One of the targets I use when I’m going to practice with my Taurus 44 magnum is a bear. In a real life situation with a bear coming at me I’m sure hitting the nose would be an absolutely lucky shot.
View attachment 11164
With a charging Bear the adrenaline would be through the roof however that being said I always wondered where would be the best area to shoot to either disable enough to slow it down to get away or permanently put it down, I’ve always heard the front skull cap is very thick protecting the brain, correct me if I’m wrong.

I shoot at an indoor range and drawing from a holster is not allowed...period. That was picking the revolver up from the table and shooting. The target was at 10 yards. That was extremely good shooting for me which is why I took a picture of it.

This sentence within the article needed a cite: "Many bears have been shot in the head with the bullet glancing off, making a nasty cut, but not stopping the bear."

I've seen .45 Auto penetration demonstrations. There is no doubt in my mind that standard pressure 230 grain ball ammo will through-and-through penetrate any bear's skull.

My idea of the best any bear hunting/defense weapon is an original Marlin 1895 chambered for the incredibly powerful .45/70 gov't. If I could find an original 1895, I'd buy it.

Shoulder fired weapons are close to useless when slung over a shoulder. Bears can sprint at lightning speed.

Large caliber revolvers are powerful. However, they have limitations. They are heavy. They can be inconvenient to carry. They take longer to get their lead dealing end pointed at a charging bruin. Their recoil makes accurate follow-up shots problematic. And revolvers take far too long to reload.

I used to own a 6" Model 29 for bear defense. I sold it. No regrets.

I've finally realized that my Springfield Armory TRP .45 Auto loaded with 230 grain Fed HST LE +P is my best bear defense.

BTW, when I'm big game hunting in bear habitat, I never carry a handgun. When I'm in thick stuff, my rifle is in my hands.

Not with 357mag, but I will shoot him in the ass with 3.5 barrel S&W 460. After that it would feel like he just awaken in the prison shower room on his first day.

The question is why you'd take that shot it being a very low % shot as depicted in the chart. Better wait until the bear moves to a better profile.

Would you take that same shot with a .308/30-06?

Last edited:
The reason I asked about taking the rear shot with a .308/.30-06 is those two rifle cartridges have the same or more ft.lbs energy (power) as a .460 S&W.

Alot of folks might not take the same shot with a rifle of a certain power capability when they think one of the "Uber-powerful" handgun cartridges would be OK.

Again waiting to take a better shot is better IMO.

Last edited:
There are a couple of "issues" with the article IMO.

#1 - The Gunsite target is much too high to accurately depict a charging griz.

#2 - I don't know how fast the Gunsite cart draws the target towards the shooter but a grizzly can charge at 35 mph. So the cart should rush the shooter at Gunsite at that speed. And the shooter should have to draw their handgun once they notice the target (which should be moving already).

#3 - More likely than not, a griz encounter is suden and at close range & come from varied angles so Gunsite should have the shooter with their back/angled to the target and the target should be rushing when the shooter turns.

Lucky people she was distracted by the boar. Pretty amazing with her that close & not going ballistic with those folks right in front of her.

My .02

Last edited:
Back