testtest

Stripped star head optic plate screw

Bought a hellcat pro yesterday. Asked the store to mount the optic for me, they politely refuse. I used the hardware that came with rhe pistol and now one of the screw heads is stripped and I can't remove it so I can fit the optic. Any ideas? I'd rather not have this sent to springfield for something thing so simple.

Bought a hellcat pro yesterday. Asked the store to mount the optic for me, they politely refuse. I used the hardware that came with rhe pistol and now one of the screw heads is stripped and I can't remove it so I can fit the optic. Any ideas? I'd rather not have this sent to springfield for something thing so simple.
Can you drop a pic in here so we can see how bad and what is left?

if you have Go-Jo or other sort of workmans hand cleaner, that has a "gritty feel" to it, due to the pumice.

it has to have that pumice in it............

get some on the tip of the screwdriver, and see if that'll give you some "grip" in the stripped screw.

if you know an auto mechanic, maybe he has "valve lapping" compound, see if he can give you a "dollop" of it.......does the same thing as the pumice hand soap.

Attachments

• 20230925_095346.jpg
    20230925_095346.jpg
    892.2 KB · Views: 96
Yeah, I'm pretty sour about it. Got this, chiefly for my wife and was pretty excites to get it all set up and because the guy at the store didn't want to fit the optic and the tool that came with it wasn't exactly milled, we now have this. I'm trusting everything will work out, however, it's not exactly the best 1st impression I'm getting with springfield; being polite.

Did you attempt the removal with a drill, impact driver, or hand Torx-driver?

My recommendation would be to call Springfield Customer service for help removing them so you don't run the chance of damaging the slide. I'm sure you could just remove the slide assembly and send that by itself instead of sending the whole pistol.

Springfield Armory Customer Service: (800) 680-6866

Did you attempt the removal with a drill, impact driver, or hand Torx-driver?

My recommendation would be to call Springfield Customer service for help removing them so you don't run the chance of damaging the slide. I'm sure you could just remove the slide assembly and send that by itself instead of sending the whole pistol.

Springfield Armory Customer Service: (800) 680-6866
The OP says he used the provided wrenches…

I have a similar issue with the torx heads of a Holsun AMES. The issue, in my opinion has to do with the Chinese screws they put on our costly purchases. In the AMES case, the Torx head has a slightly oversized hole that is too loose around even the commercial grade tools (ie - Snapon, Matco, Cornwell, etc). The sad part is it is hard to find American made hardware any more.

Back