testtest

Suggestions for changes/improvements on my 1911

PAGunGuy

Master Class
Hi all

I have a Kimber Custom II LW in 45ACP.

I absolutely love it. I shoot it better than anything else I have. It shoots better than I do.

BEFORE the long story here's the cliff's notes version for my ADD friends...I want a black magwell and stainless mainspring housing

I bought it for my 45 birthday a few years ago. When I got it, it was considerably more than I have ever spend on a gun. I got it to be an occasional range toy and a keep to hand down to the kiddos some day. I was turning 45, I wanted a 45 and it had to be a 1911. This was right when Springfield released the Ronin and I loved it. I loved the two tone with the wood grips. I was able to find a Ronin but then I discovered the Kimber and found it in stock. SO I grabbed it.

Stock pic for illustration purposes

I never planned on carrying this gun, or, very rarely. I did get nice leather holster (most I ever spent on a holster, too) and it carries great.

It has since become a regular part of my rotation...will actual probably carry it today - well be at Kraynak's in Hermitage for the day if anyone else will be there by chance. I pretty much always use it when I am doing security for church.

So I have noticed there is one thing I wanted/want to change. I want to improve the grip situation. The front strap is smooth, and the wooden grips, while look great IMO, aren't practical for real shooting. The gun jumps a bit in your hands. Also, if I am ever in a bad situation, I want to do quicker mag loads.

So, after two trips back and forth to Kimber due to an issues with the grip screw bushings, I swapped the grips out for Magpuls (for now). They do work a lot better.
But now it is just two toned, black (or blued) and grey/aluminum. I want to stay with that look.

Here's how it is now

So besides the front grip tape, I want to add a Magwell and a new mainspring housing. But, here's where I am struggling. To keep the color theme, I want a grey/stainless mainspring housing but a black maxwell.

I for a little more grip, I am going to add some grip tape to the front strap, I grey.

But I want a grey/stainless, arched mainspring housing with some grip pattern on it, and a black/blued magwell.

Search as might, I can't find anyone who offers this combo. And I really can't find an arched, stainless magwell with any god grip texture, and I really can't find a company that makes just a separate black or blued magwell. I have found the back Magwell by Wison Combat that just goes under the grips and is held on by the grip screws. I am considering going with this I just don't know about the quality, plus you need to modify the back of the grips a bit to make the magwell fit.

https://wilsoncombat.com/magazine-well-blue.html

Any advice where I can find what I am looking for?

If it’s Wilson Combat, it’s top notch.

You could also get one of their checkered frontstrap panels that also fit under your grips, instead of chintzy grip tape. They come in blued or stainless.
I'll look into the front strap, hadn't thought of that

I really like having magwells on my 1911's. Several of mine came with the magwell new.

Not exactly what you specify but Hogue makes magwell grips with the magwell integral to the grips. I bought a set for my Colt Commander. Grips came with a curved mainspring housing and a new mainspring. It makes my Commander more functional as a carry gun.

Chen and Wilson Combat seem to be the standard for drop in magwells for 1911's.

Good luck with your project.

www.edbrown.com

this is where i get nearly all my 1911 parts.

but there are so many others.

Thunder Mountain, Wilson Combat, etc.

you will not get a 1 piece MSH/magwell the way you want it. you will have to buy 2 separate parts.

if i recall, you were told this on the 1911 forum.

Dawson Precision offers their Ice Magwell in Blue and aluminum.

Z_1911_Ice_Magwell_Std__05952.1432926724.jpg

They also sell an Aluminum mainspring housing for the ICE separately- in Blue or silver arched or flat options.

https://dawsonprecision.com/mainspr...at-light-weight-aluminum-by-dawson-precision/

877_source_1439407640.jpg

They’re pretty nice…I added one to my RO Compact and liked it…unfortunately, no pics of it before it moved on…

Thanks. see they also make it in stainless. And it's only $10. Of course the maxwell is now out of stock. Once that it is back in I will probably order both

www.edbrown.com

this is where i get nearly all my 1911 parts.

but there are so many others.

Thunder Mountain, Wilson Combat, etc.

you will not get a 1 piece MSH/magwell the way you want it. you will have to buy 2 separate parts.

if i recall, you were told this on the 1911 forum.
I don't think I'm o the 1911 forum? If I did post on it, I don't remember that. I don't even remember joining.

But the issue is I can't find a site that has both parts, the way I want, separate. Specifically, I can't find the mainspring housing. I want it in stainless/aluminum, whatever...grey color, but I want like a checkered grip. The only I have found just have vertical lines

Dawson Precision offers their Ice Magwell in Blue and aluminum.

Z_1911_Ice_Magwell_Std__05952.1432926724.jpg

They also sell an Aluminum mainspring housing for the ICE separately- in Blue or silver arched or flat options.

https://dawsonprecision.com/mainspr...at-light-weight-aluminum-by-dawson-precision/

877_source_1439407640.jpg
Thanks

I don't think I'm o the 1911 forum? If I did post on it, I don't remember that. I don't even remember joining.

But the issue is I can't find a site that has both parts, the way I want, separate. Specifically, I can't find the mainspring housing. I want it in stainless/aluminum, whatever...grey color, but I want like a checkered grip. The only I have found just have vertical lines
hmm...maybe it was here then, but i know i read it somewheres.

the one i read was the guy, wanted a SS Back strap (MSH) yet a black magwell, all 1 piece.....which is not out there, to get that, one must buy 2 individual pieces.

i just came back from checking my Sig STX, in the same price range as my 2 Dan Wesson 1911's

it came from the factory with a SS MSH, and a magwell, SS as well, and these are 2 individual pieces.

one can buy either an entirely all black or SS set up as 1 piece, just not 1 piece with 2 different finishes.

if it wasn't you i recall, my bad, but I DID read this or much like this, some time ago.

see..?? even in the like that @shanneba provided you, all 1 color (or finish)

even my link to Ed Brown, where i get all my 1911 parts from, same thing, all 1 color set up for MAH and magwell

Back