testtest

Suggestions Wanted for 1911 Replacement Grips

PaulieDC

Elite
I do love the look and feel of my 1911 RO Operator, but because I have wide palms and short stubby fingers, I can't quite reach the slide stop or even the mag release button without turning the firearm slightly to reach it. Slightly thinner grips would help, but I'm clueless on what brands people like, etc. Kinda hate to lose the logo (goofy, I know) but handling is more important.

I'd rather ask my peers in the forum instead of googling this one, lol. Thanks!

1911-range-officer-operator-45-acp-3.jpg

I do love the look and feel of my 1911 RO Operator, but because I have wide palms and short stubby fingers, I can't quite reach the slide stop or even the mag release button without turning the firearm slightly to reach it. Slightly thinner grips would help, but I'm clueless on what brands people like, etc. Kinda hate to lose the logo (goofy, I know) but handling is more important.

I'd rather ask my peers in the forum instead of googling this one, lol. Thanks!

View attachment 43634
What kind of look are you going for ?
Traditional wood ? More modern ? Fake ivory ?

I have some grips from this place on a Hi power and like them.
They do 1911’s as well in a bunch of styles

What kind of look are you going for ?
Traditional wood ? More modern ? Fake ivory ?
That probably would have been good info for me to include, lol. I guess I'm not sure, I love the cocobolo look, but I did find these on the SA site:

Different look but I like it. So I guess my answer is traditional wood or more modern is fine. Anyone use these G10s? Love/hate?

I edited the post to show the slim line.

Wow, the choices! I'll definitely find something here, and I like the idea of that wide thumb slot. The VZ 320 and Operator Slim choices are exactly what I was looking for. Now to try and decide on the color... easy problem! ;)

I like this grip that I got from Harrison Custom.
IMG_5334.jpeg

You may have to change out the grip bushings if you are going with a slim grip I like to use challis bushings because they don’t bind up the way traditional bushings do. You can get Challis bushings from Harrison Custom.

I would also look at a grip screw bushing extractor tool. This will save you mangling the old bushings with a screwdriver.

I edited the post to show the slim line.

This is what I came here to suggest. I have the VZ 10-8 Operators on my Baer.

You can get some off-brand G10’s—Cool Hand, I think is the mfg—on Amazon. I tried their Wilson-style Starburst on my RO Compact. I liked them.

I actually picked up a set of these. They're regular size, but with the thumb cutout for easier access to the slide/mag release. G10 style grips.

1694717875685.png

They also make some with a more aggressive thumb cutout as well - see the below picture.

1694717960471.png

I have either VZ or Cool Hand G10 grips on my Springfield 1911 pistols. I don't have big hands, but the oem wood grips make the pistols move around in my hands to much. And I ding up wood grips quickly whereas the G10 withstand most firearms chemicals and light contact damage. They can be fairly easily repaired with a 3M Scotch pad, or the "aggressive texture" lessened with the 3M pad.

Amazon used to have a large selection of Cool Hand G10 grips but the availability seems to have dwindled lately. Sad because Cool Hand offered the best prices and options at a much better price than VZ.

The wider thumb relief for the magazine release is referred to as a "big scoop". If that is the style you want, do a search on Amazon or the internet using "big scoop G10 grips".

I tried the big scoop style and didn't like them, but it's a personal choice.

Stoner CNC.com is another company that makes nice 1911 G10 grips in both standard width and thin grips.

Changing the bushings standard to thin or vice versa isn't hard. Challis Grips.com makes a specialty tool that makes bushing removal easy, but it's not inexpensive. A flat head screw driver will work but if not seated correctly will damage the bushings for removal or installation. I use a small reverse thread 'easy out' tool to remove the bushings and a flat head screw driver to install. Loctite the bushings to secure them.

Last edited:
Back