testtest

Suggestions Wanted for 1911 Replacement Grips

The wider thumb relief for the magazine release is referred to as a "big scoop". If that is the style you want, do a search on Amazon or the internet using "big scoop G10 grips".

I tried the big scoop style and didn't like them, but it's a personal choice.
I think before I jump into the big scoop I’m going to just try to imagine what that might be like, maybe I just need the regular scoop. Or I need to suspend my self from the ceiling by my thumbs to try to lengthen them.

I look at guys like Hickok45 on his YouTube channel who is 6 foot 8 and has thumbs so long he could reach over and adjust focus on the camera while he’s releasing the slide on the gun he’s holding. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think before I jump into the big scoop I’m going to just try to imagine what that might be like, maybe I just need the regular scoop. Or I need to suspend my self from the ceiling by my thumbs to try to lengthen them.

I look at guys like Hickok45 on his YouTube channel who is 6 foot 8 and has thumbs so long he could reach over and adjust focus on the camera while he’s releasing the slide on the gun he’s holding. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
let me make you feel more self aware
my wife is just 5 foot tall and has small hands...she holds and shoots the 1967, 1911 colt with pac gripes very very well
just saying :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Try some tape on the front strap (talon grips or generic sand-paper skateboard grip tape)...might be enough to get you where you want to be without an investment. Cheap and removable if you don't like it. Some previous pics on this thread had some exhibited....

Try some tape on the front strap (talon grips or generic sand-paper skateboard grip tape)...might be enough to get you where you want to be without an investment. Cheap and removable if you don't like it. Some previous pics on this thread had some exhibited....
Talon grips work quite well for me. Pictured on my mil-spec in a previous post.

I went thru several grips g10 stock I end up with this look which I love the feel and looks buffalo bone
IMG_0108.jpeg

I like VZ grips and have them on other pistols but I also have some LOK grips and find that they are just as well made for less $. So I went with these from LOK for this 1911 and am completely satisfied. This particular style is called Roughneck.

DW Valor.jpg

I went with Magpul. Don't know they are considered slim, but they certainly aren't bigger. They have the wide scoop and were only $20. And they come in a few different colors

Given my anatomy I just wonder if the scoop is all I need. I like the size of the stock grips overall, a lot actually. I just threw out the slimmer grip thing because it was all I could think of, not knowing grips like this existed.

I live a sheltered life. 😆

Given my anatomy I just wonder if the scoop is all I need. I like the size of the stock grips overall, a lot actually. I just threw out the slimmer grip thing because it was all I could think of, not knowing grips like this existed.

I live a sheltered life. 😆
Well, if it makes you feel better, I didn't even know about these. I was asking about grips in a Facebook group, and someone recommended these. And they were only $20 so I figured I would try them. I really just wanted something with better grip.

I actually don't have a problem with size, I have big hands, like, palm a basketball big, but I actually really do like the scoop.

So to stir up an older and rather boring thread that I started, I solved the grip issue where my weird thumb couldn't quite hit the mag release since my knuckle is too wide: a 12" rat tail file on the rosewood grip and some fretboard oil to seal it once I was done. Sometimes the answer is right in your toolbox. It looks like it's lined up a little too high but it's actually just right.

Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving!

Grip Solution.jpg

Last edited:
So to stir up an older and rather boring thread that I started, I solved the grip issue where my weird thumb couldn't quite hit the mag release since my knuckle is too wide: a 12" rat tail file on the rosewood grip and some fretboard oil to seal it once I was done. Sometimes the answer is right in your toolbox. It looks like it's lined up a little too high but it's actually just right.

Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving!

View attachment 47556
you need to get to the patent office come Monday, and get that patent right...

or else someone's gonna steal your idea, and make a gazillion dollars.

the solace in having a tool box if only for that once in a blue moon idea or project.

Back