testtest

Suppressing the M1A

Classified

Professional
Founding Member
There have been many random responses about suppressing the M1A, in order to keep from reposting in random threads I am going to put the little I know here and let the rest of the crew chime in.

Starting with the muzzle.
One needs to get the appropriate adapter (5/8x24).

Working our way back, the gas plug needs to be replaced with an adjustable gas plug.

This is not necessary but i recommend a TiNi piston from Sadlack. This is because a suppressor seems to induce more fouling and moisture.

The can itself should be for the caliber, otherwise performance will suffer. Running subs, the M1A is more quiet than a 22lr, this is with an Elite Iron Bravo.

Be sure to follow the instructions for adjusting the gas plug, but be ready to revisit adjustment once the can has been attached for the first time. Recoil and shell ejection may feel off/much lighter without the can but it will be right back once the can is on.

Haha looks like alot of extra money. May hold off on getting a can for the M1A now, but i'm still definitely interested.

It can be. In my case the gas plug was cut too long and timing was off. Instead of sending it back I just went ahead with the adjustable plug and one thing lead to another.

Saint .308 is way easier to suppress 😉😉
Agreed, but its like saying, "2020 Challengers are easier to turbo than a 1971 Challenger."

Dont know about you, but I would rather have the 71.
1636432369534.png

Last edited:
It's easier to suppress the M14 type than you think.

The gas system is self adjusting, but an extra volume gas plug is nice. If you go with Smith Enterprise kit for the 22" & 18" barrels you will need a DC Vortex made to accept their Wind Talker suppressor. You will also need a gas lock front sight base made for the barrel length you are running. I recommend using an M3 Breech shield to deflect blow back.
550894_490755767608283_1129010242_n.jpg

It's easier to suppress the M14 type than you think.

The gas system is self adjusting, but an extra volume gas plug is nice. If you go with Smith Enterprise kit for the 22" & 18" barrels you will need a DC Vortex made to accept their Wind Talker suppressor. You will also need a gas lock front sight base made for the barrel length you are running. I recommend using an M3 Breech shield to deflect blow back.View attachment 21972
In case anyone is curious the breech shield can be found at:
https://www.keepshooting.com/m14-blank-fire-attachment-kit.html

So I’ve only been to the range 3 times with my M1A and every time I shoot this gun it gets better and better and that’s nothing when I take it out of the gun bag and I’m instantly surrounded by older shooters that love the look of this iconic battle rifle. I’m not opposed to what others want to do to their guns but for me making changes to my guns especially this one won’t happen.

So I’ve only been to the range 3 times with my M1A and every time I shoot this gun it gets better and better and that’s nothing when I take it out of the gun bag and I’m instantly surrounded by older shooters that love the look of this iconic battle rifle. I’m not opposed to what others want to do to their guns but for me making changes to my guns especially this one won’t happen.
So you shoot iron sights only, that's cool.

The 16.25" can be suppressed, but you have to replace the factory combination gas lock front sight base muzzle device with a new gas lock front sight base from SEI plus the muzzle device that works with your suppressor. I use a Smith Enterprise suppressor and their muzzle devices, but you can use what you like. You will want to use SEI stubby gas plug to avoid any potential clearance issues.

Attachments

• IMG_7241.JPG
    IMG_7241.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 20
  • WT-CQB-16.JPG
    WT-CQB-16.JPG
    387.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3668.1.JPG
    IMG_3668.1.JPG
    199.1 KB · Views: 22
The 16.25" can be suppressed, but you have to replace the factory combination gas lock front sight base muzzle device with a new gas lock front sight base from SEI plus the muzzle device that works with your suppressor. I use a Smith Enterprise suppressor and their muzzle devices, but you can use what you like. You will want to use SEI stubby gas plug to avoid any potential clearance issues.
Thank you so much!

Here in Illinois we don't have to contemplate such worries. 😢
There’s the advantage you get for living under a communist gov’t ‘ cause they know best for ya🙄. I left 38 years ago because I got tired of the commicrats in Chicago running the state-and it gets worse continually. I do find it interesting that to be a governor in Illinois you have to enroll in a prison program when you leave office 😊-darn shame they don’t lock those morons up BEFORE they get in office .

Back