testtest

Surface rust

Rishathra

Alpha
I just noticed my edc has some light surface rust, I’m assuming from skin contact. I live in SW Florida so sweating is always an issue.
I’ve looked on line and of course found a bazillion ways to remove it, but what about prevention? How often should I perform preventative maintenance?
A little on the outside might be “understandable”, but it even got into my extractor, which is obviously not acceptable.

I live in Pennsylvania nowhere the humidity or heat you have down there but I got into the habit of at least once a month wiping down all of my weapons whether they have been used or not. I use SEAL 1 exclusively it does it all cleaning lubrication and protectant all in one. But I'm sure if you use any type of oil a wipe down every month should work out. As far as removing the light rust, like you have said there are many ways available and I for one never had that experience before so i guess I'm lucky in that respect but I'm sure other more experienced members here may have some ideas. Wishing you luck...

I just noticed my edc has some light surface rust, I’m assuming from skin contact. I live in SW Florida so sweating is always an issue.
I’ve looked on line and of course found a bazillion ways to remove it, but what about prevention? How often should I perform preventative maintenance?
A little on the outside might be “understandable”, but it even got into my extractor, which is obviously not acceptable.
What kind of oil are you using? You need an oil that neutralizes finger print acids for starters…..this is what I use right now, but most CLP’s should do the same

I have heard some good results with this also

Yes we have a monsoon in the summer that brings high humidity, but with some care with a decent oil, they'll be fine. I had two pistols in my garage in a cabinet, and I just checked them and they were fine. I also have several guns in my nightstand and they're good, too. After I clean them, I wipe them down with oil.
There are several oil tests you can find online that reports how they did with tough finish tests. If you have a pet oil, don't get your feelings hurt.
My safe has a golden rod to keep things dry and as I reported, not all of them are stored there.

Last edited:
I waxed my blued Makarov once a month with Birchwood Casey gun stock wax and used the same cloth to remove it every time without washing the cloth. When i took it off each night i then wiped it down with a Terry cloth rag to remove any moisture and wiped completely with the waxy cloth. After 20 years carry no rust.

Last edited:
Back