testtest

Surviving the Knockout Game

Timely, as the wife and I just watched an episode of "Blue Bloods" last night (from season 4) that was about this very topic. Certainly being aware of your environment, versus having your face buried in a phone, are key ways to avoid these type of attacks. And avoiding areas of known problems is also important, when possible.

Living overseas as Americans, I taught my family these same things. I described it as OPSEC (operations security), and told them to always be aware of their surroundings. This was decades before I heard of the color codes of awareness discussed in EDC circles.

Timely, as the wife and I just watched an episode of "Blue Bloods" last night (from season 4) that was about this very topic. Certainly being aware of your environment, versus having your face buried in a phone, are key ways to avoid these type of attacks. And avoiding areas of known problems is also important, when possible.
Agree. Never have your face buried in the phone if you are in an area with people. Takes only one to do harm to you. I see folks run into stuff all the time walking with head in phone. Easy targets.

i had a group of young men come towards me in a downtown metro area while walking between accounts. They were all staring at me. Made eye contact and put my hand on my hip above my CC. They promptly moved the other way. Told the police about them and an officer engaged them in conversation to make them aware of their known presence . The group got in a parked car and left .
Always be aware of whats going on

Also called "Street smarts" in many places. Lot to it, sometimes like reading "books" - you feel, see signs if know what looking for. Depends on areas traveling too. Cities usually different than country settings. One can be as rough as the other. Can be somewhat different in different areas or regions of same type places with avoiding, dealing with manipulation. Foresight, experience helps, isn't cure all.

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled Surviving the Knockout Game and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/surviving-the-knockout-game/.

Something recently happened to me. As a legal concealed carry citizen it observe proper etiquette and never carry while drinking or in public areas with alcohol involved. I feel I was targeted for that but unfortunately even being armed would not have prevented the situation.

This was going on in NYC when I lived there. After leaving my Krav Maga class one night at about 9:00pm, 3 teenage punks walking toward me set off my "radar" when one of them pointed at me and whispered something to one of the others. I knew they were up to something even though I was watching them closely. Sure enough, the one who was whispered to took a swing at me. I blocked his punch, broke his arm at the elbow, and rammed him into a brick wall face first. I looked at the other 2 who were backing away and said, "Who's next?", when 2 other guys from my class came running up, having seen the attack. I told them, "You guys can practice on these 2". The other punks turned and ran, leaving their screaming cohort on the ground behind. This happened in a "good neighborhood" but I always had my head on swivel with "radar" on automatically when I lived there and still do today even though we now live in the country in another state. Always be aware and stay safe!

Edit for spelling and punctuation.

Last edited:
Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled Surviving the Knockout Game and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/surviving-the-knockout-game/.

When younger I taught and coached in a minority school in Houston. One afternoon while I waited for my baseball team to arrive for practice a group of four young "toughs" lead by "Buzzard", (appropriately named), showed up. Buzzard announced, "we are going to whip your big, white ass." I removed a bat from the equipment bag and said, "you first Buzzard". An attitude and a baseball bat changed their minds. "Aw man, we only kidding." After that I always went to the field with the team.

Last edited:
When younger I taught and coached in a minority school in Houston. One afternoon while I waited for my baseball team to arrive for practice a group of four young "toughs" lead by "Buzzard", (appropriately named.) walked up. Buzzard announced, "we are going to whip your big, white ass." I took a bat from the equipment bag and said "you first Buzzard". A baseball bat changed their minds. "Aw man, we only kidding." After that I always went to the field with the team.

When younger I taught and coached in a minority school in Houston. One afternoon while I waited for my baseball team to arrive for practice a group of four young "toughs" lead by "Buzzard", (appropriately named), showed up. Buzzard announced, "we are going to whip your big, white ass." I removed a bat from the equipment bag and said, "you first Buzzard". An attitude and a baseball bat changed their minds. "Aw man, we only kidding." After that I always went to the field with the team.

This was going on in NYC when I lived there. After leaving my Krav Maga class one night at about 9:00pm, 3 teenage punks walking toward me set off my "radar" when one of them pointed at me and whispered something to one of the others. I knew they were up to something even though I was watching them closely. Sure enough, the one who was whispered to took a swing at me. I blocked his punch, broke his arm at the elbow, and rammed him into a brick wall face first. I looked at the other 2 who were backing away and said, "Who's next?", when 2 other guys from my class came running up, having seen the attack. I told them, "You guys can practice on these 2". The other punks turned and ran, leaving their screaming cohort on the ground behind. This happened in a "good neighborhood" but I always had my head on swivel with "radar" on automatically when I lived there and still do today even though we now live in the country in another state. Always be aware and stay safe!

Edit for spelling and punctuation.

First of all, well done.

One of my NYC stories happen not too long after 9/11. I was on the A train from what is lovingly call "Up State Manhattan down to the West Village. It becomes an express line after a certain stop, so I decided to "rest my eyes." At Columbus Circle, I opened my eyes, partially, as many people get on at that stop. Sure enough, some knuckle head got on the car I was in and, as the train rolled out of the station, he announced, "Ladies and Gentlemen, this is a stick up."

By the time I'd opened my eyes, my hand was on one of my...toys. I did a quick calculation about where this fool was, how far away he was, how many other fools were with him, and what I could or couldn't do when the fecal matter clashed with the oscillating blades.

The next second, Knucklehead said, "Just kidding, y'all. We're here to perform for you."

Everyone in the car exhaled at the same time and I saw, out of the corner of my eyes, many hands coming out of their coats/pocket/bags as mine was doing the same thing. I locked eyes with a man next to me. He said, "those fools were lucky."

"Yep," I said.

A lady across from me - who had drawn her hand from her purse - mentioned how stupid that kid was to say something like that, especially after 9/11. I agreed.

What made me smile, inwardly, was how many people were on high alert in that subway car. We definitely need more like them in the world.

Back