testtest

Taking up an old journey anew (LONG READ)

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate and to those who don't, hi!

I recently had a bit of a health scare, part of which is a long story, but I have type 2 diabetes (not new for me) but due to divorce and depression (a couple of years ago, I'm far better now) I ignored my routine control of it which was eating no carbs and eating clean and lifting weights HARD. I was training for a strongman meet and also a powerlifting meet. If you don't know what strongman is, YouTube WSM and enjoy.

Depression and stress came back and I quit taking care of myself and ate garbage and the exact opposite of how I was taking care of myself. I went to the VA to get a respiratory infection checked out and to get back in the VA health service. My next appointment was on my birthday (the 13th of this month) and they drew blood for tests and some other basic labs.

My new doctor called me the next day while I was at the grocery store and I had just put a candy bar into the shopping cart, and she told me my a1C was an 11.... When I was taking care of it before I was 6.2.

That's pretty scary to me, especially considering I just turned 35, so I decided it was time. No BS excuses. I immediately put the candy bar back, and grabbed a ton of salad kits and have been eating those every day with a chicken breast thrown in for protein.

Fiance and I were planning on signing up for a... "Gym". (If you like lifting weights you'll understand why I put quotes around gym because that gym was planet fitness).

We decided on something else and we found a fitness center that we think will be better (the YMCA) and I decided to get back to picking up iron again. I also made a goal, which is to compete in a sanctioned powerlifting meet.

I found a book today and I'm going to try the recommended.. recipe because it's more than a workout. Simply put: 20 barbell squats in one set, some other exercises, a whole lot of milk and clean food, and progressive overloading.

My journey starts this week.

For those curious about the book:

Screenshot_20231224-091010.png

i too am a type 2 diabetic, my A1C fluctuates, and hovers around the 6.9 to 7.4 range, and my doctor has told me that he is satisfied that the pills i take and the food intake are working..

but i am way older than you as well.

i "sneak" a king sized Snickers or Milky Way from time to time, hey...i'm old, how much longer am i gonna live anyways..??

take care of you, the best way you can, is all i can say, besides "good luck".

Got to take care of yourself! I am also a diabetic but I keep it under control. I am older than you so I do cheat every once in a while. In my mid 60's so I have lived most of my life. Now that you are aware of it I'm sure you will keep abreast of it. Have a happy and healthy Christmas.

It sounds like you’re doing the right things for yourself. I understand the “beast”(depression). Working the body is one of the best therapies.

All the best to you on your journey. Remember it’s one step at a time, and roll with it.
It's amazing what can be done with simple hard physical work. I don't get that in my day job so I need it in some other form which is pushing around a barbell.

People even get philosophical about them. An example:

aaad27e397bc178760db148f81eb0b6f.jpg

The ancient Greeks understood the benefits of exercise:
86db5c1cc876a36776068e8b1fb0d48fcdcc6152d4c204d9865ebbf03332e739_1-3547849523.jpg

The original source to that quote:

Back