testtest

Taurus 856 Defender 3” 38 +P

Philmo11

Master Class
Let me first say, in general, I don't care for snubbies. Don’t much care for Taurus. I hate air weights. The shortest barrel revolver I owned before this is 5.5”. It’s relatively rare to see a full stainless frame in a compact revolver these days.

I saw this one cheap online. Picked it up shipped for around $320. Brought it home yesterday. Today, I shot it for the first time.

Before I get into it, the last 38 compact I shot, the neighbor gal brought it out to my range the day she got it. Was a little light weight Charter Arms. I warned her about how snappy it would be but you know girls and colors… had to have that colored frame… *sigh*. Anyway, I grabbed a box of factory 38 spl (was non existent on store shelves at the time) and brought it out for her. In the first 4 cylinders, it recoiled so hard, 2 rounds jumped crimp.

I shoot some of the hottest 500 magnum rounds known to man for fun and one jumped crimp on me. My wife shot it and used the word “hate” to describe it.

So, there it is, that’s the last time I shot a compact 38, until today.

I have a Taurus Model 44 I polished up. My poor man’s 629. Not poor, just ain’t spending $1200+ on one. It’s gritty, sights had to be adjusted way right to get on target. Needless to say, I didn’t have high hopes for this 856.

I also picked up a S&W 686 yesterday, so I had both new guns to compare. I expected the trigger to be heavier than the S&W. I actually thought it was until I picked up the Smith and tested them side by side. There was no difference in trigger weight. Trigger was just as smooth on the 856 as the 686.

I loaded up 6rds, walked out to the front porch and emptied it. I was very surprised at how pleasant it was to shoot. That same neighbor gal happened to be there at the house when I did that. I came back in, loaded another cylinder and handed it to her. She stepped out and emptied it. “Wow, that was nice!” She said. I agreed, that extra weight made a world of difference.

75780230-3D27-45F8-A376-1BD0E085BBC5.jpeg

It ain’t real pretty but the finish is good and uniform. The orange front sight is a nice touch. If you’re in the market for a compact carry revolver, don’t overlook this little gem. It’s surprisingly heavy for its compact footprint at a little over 23oz, but that extra weight makes all the difference shooting it and staying on target.

Last edited:
I've had fairly extensive experience with 4 different Taurus pistols. 2 Blued 8.38" model .44s ( one of which I posted a picture of the other day) and 2 blued 357s. Never had a problem with any of them or the sights. And my son in law not long ago came across a SS hammerless .357 snubbie and other than having to take it apart and thoroughly clean it because it was nearly locked up with crud, it has been just fine he says.

I also have had a little experience with a couple different Taurus semi autos. A G2c and a G3c. Both of them are pieces of crap. One of my jarhead buddies is a notorious cheap bastard and even after I had to do a bunch of work to his G2c so it would run, he went out and bought a G3c. Also a piece of crap. Skinny plastic RSA, magazines are garbage, just a half a click from a Hi-Point in my opinion.

So justifiably or not, based on my experience I have concluded that Taurus revolvers ( at least the older ones) are ok and Taurus semi autos are junk. That's not to say i haven't heard of people having problems with the revolvers and also heard from people ( here) that like their semi autos.

That said, I wouldn't go out of my way these days to buy either of them.

I've had fairly extensive experience with 4 different Taurus pistols. 2 Blued 8.38" model .44s ( one of which I posted a picture of the other day) and 2 blued 357s. Never had a problem with any of them or the sights. And my son in law not long ago came across a SS hammerless .357 snubbie and other than having to take it apart and thoroughly clean it because it was nearly locked up with crud, it has been just fine he says.

I also have had a little experience with a couple different Taurus semi autos. A G2c and a G3c. Both of them are pieces of crap. One of my jarhead buddies is a notorious cheap bastard and even after I had to do a bunch of work to his G2c so it would run, he went out and bought a G3c. Also a piece of crap. Skinny plastic RSA, magazines are garbage, just a half a click from a Hi-Point in my opinion.

So justifiably or not, based on my experience I have concluded that Taurus revolvers ( at least the older ones) are ok and Taurus semi autos are junk. That's not to say i haven't heard of people having problems with the revolvers and also heard from people ( here) that like their semi autos.

That said, I wouldn't go out of my way these days to buy either of them.
The sight adjustment on that Model 44.
E204C2E8-ED7C-43A2-8D1C-2CF774B0E7AB.jpeg

That’s how far it had to go to hit the center of the target.

I looked close at these little 3 inchers a while back and they looked nice, I like 3 inch revolvers. My edc right now is a 3 inch Model 60 Smith.

I have had decent luck with Taurus revolvers, no experience with thier pistols. I have an early 80s 66 which is my wife's favorite handgun period.

I looked close at these little 3 inchers a while back and they looked nice, I like 3 inch revolvers. My edc right now is a 3 inch Model 60 Smith.

I have had decent luck with Taurus revolvers, no experience with thier pistols. I have an early 80s 66 which is my wife's favorite handgun period.
Their poly pistols are pretty rough. Save your money and buy a Springfield.

Back