testtest

Terminator begins

San Francisco need to focus on the quality of life. Using robots as police is nothing more than padding the coffers of pols and a alternate defunding police measure. The liability and the decision to shoot/don’t shoot will still fall on the operator (PD) and not the politician, the manufacturer (in non-civil cases).

Not sure how a robot would disarm a man (known or unknown) with just a hammer at 2am in a house up on a steep hill.

Stupid idea and another reason why California went from +$100b surplus to $25 deficit.

Dallas PD used a bomb disposal robot loaded with explosives to neutralize a killer who had just murdered 5 police officers. I recall a case in St Petersburg where they used an excavator to tear the roof off a house where a thug shot several deputy marshals from the attic, at least one deputy was killed as I recall. Sometimes extreme circumstances require extreme measures. But the more extreme the measures the greater the controls must be.

1669325938595.gif

Need I say more………..

Dallas PD used a bomb disposal robot loaded with explosives to neutralize a killer who had just murdered 5 police officers. I recall a case in St Petersburg where they used an excavator to tear the roof off a house where a thug shot several deputy marshals from the attic, at least one deputy was killed as I recall. Sometimes extreme circumstances require extreme measures. But the more extreme the measures the greater the controls must be.
If the loss of human lives to PD is great and controls are in place such as PD and Civilian leadership give authorization, I say use the robot to smoke the perp

Sometimes, sure but that's the key: not often.

I think if this happens it will escalate to the point we have drone police (like UAV pilots) and pushed to become the norm.

Sometimes, sure but that's the key: not often.

I think if this happens it will escalate to the point we have drone police (like UAV pilots) and pushed to become the norm.
Been saying this to friends for some time now. I used to have doubts about big brother being able to convince enough active mil and le personnel to pull the trigger on civilians in a large-scale display of power that cements the totalitarians' control once and for all. But I came to realize that our very NON-benevolent political overlords would be all-too-happy to roll-out "assassin drones" commanded only by AI. Whereas many humans have empathy and a conscience, with AI doing whatever its master(s) program/command it to do... well that conveniently removes the human variable in the equation. Despite the very steep and slippery Orwellian slope that we've been sliding down at high speed lately, there will still NO DOUBT be many who think my assessment to be nothing more than paranoia and fear-mongering. That's fine. There's little that the average person is going to be able to do to stop this dystopian world from fully developing over time. But at least I'll be awake and aware as it continues to come true. I guess that when you're a life-long, committed, spoiled and cluess child... ignorance is bliss. But I don't roll that way. This militarization of LE will continue, and it's NOT a healthy way for a (once-free) republic to function. Lest anyone think me anti-LE, that could not be further from the truth. I have three good current and retired LE friends, and many more acquaintances and former PD officer coworkers (my career was IT support for the local medium-sized PD, before retiring two years ago). I live in a red state, so most of them aren't the same kind of cops as many blue state cops. I still support LE on the whole. But I have been uneasy to say the least as we've gone further along this road of militarizing LE. Having AI directing machines without conscience... yeah, that's not cool AT ALL.

They started with drones for surveillance in the military and ended up with strike drones. We already have some surveillance drones being used by police, it's just a matter of time ...

It's how you implement something unpopular and controversial, 1 step at a time.

Back