testtest

Test Fired?

Stingray

Alpha
Purchased my first hand gun, XD-E 4.5", a few weeks ago and finally got around to field stripping, cleaning and lubricating it for the first time. Since this was a new gun purchased, via a broker, from a gun shop I was surprised to find a small amount of black residue inside the gun slide and related areas. This has me wondering if the new gun I bought was fired before I received it.

Do you know, does Springfield test fire Every Gun before it is shipped or do they test fire a Sampling of the production lot?

If Springfield does not fire each and every gun I may have been sold a lightly used gun at new gun pricing. Bad!

Purchased my first hand gun, XD-E 4.5", a few weeks ago and finally got around to field stripping, cleaning and lubricating it for the first time. Since this was a new gun purchased, via a broker, from a gun shop I was surprised to find a small amount of black residue inside the gun slide and related areas. This has me wondering if the new gun I bought was fired before I received it.

Do you know, does Springfield test fire Every Gun before it is shipped or do they test fire a Sampling of the production lot?

If Springfield does not fire each and every gun I may have been sold a lightly used gun at new gun pricing. Bad!
I think most guns are test fired before leaving the mfg? Not sure if that's true? Seams like they would need to do function test.

My XDs and XDM .45's, bought years ago, came with the spent shell casing from what I was told was the test fire. My most recent Springfield Armory purchase was my Saint Victor pistol, in .308. I don't think I ever saw a spent shell casing with that one. My M1A was purchased during the late '80s, and I don't think that came with a spent casing.

When I worked for Marlin Firearms back in the late 90’s and early 2000’s and Mossberg from 2010-2015 every gun from each manufacturer was test shot before leaving the factory. Some guns were even shot with high pressure proofing rounds to test for structural reliability.

Most of the new guns I have ever purchased had some amount of carbon or residue inside. I do remember that many of them came with a spent casing, and some would even include a small target showing the distance at which they had been fired. I never put much thought into it, and just assumed that all of the guns were test-fired prior to leaving the factory.

They are test fired, 5 rounds I believe. They used to do the shell casing and/or target. I still see some that have the target but haven’t seen a casing in a while.
The casing was for states that require new purchasers to provide the state police with a spent case for tracking. I ‘think’ that got overturned in court, but don’t quote me.

They are test fired, 5 rounds I believe. They used to do the shell casing and/or target. I still see some that have the target but haven’t seen a casing in a while.
The casing was for states that require new purchasers to provide the state police with a spent case for tracking. I ‘think’ that got overturned in court, but don’t quote me.
Oh! I'm quoting you for sure, thanks!

Not sure on my XD-s - I personally fired a mag through it before I bought it, then did all my CCW quals with it prior to taking it home. My Hellcat did have marks on the barrel indicating it had been fired. I assume every firearm is test-fired at least once to ensure it works. Sort of like cars, motorcycles, ATVs, etc, all go through a PDI process (Pre Delivery Inspection) to make sure everything works. Would only make sense that firearms go through the same sort of process.

Never did get a casing or a target, though...that would be pretty cool to have.

Back