testtest

Text from one of my CC companies at 6:30 AM today

Old_Me

Ronin
i got a text earlier this morning, in fact, at about 6:30 AM (Saturday March 4th) from one of my CC companies, asking me if i made a particular purchase on Amazon.

now i have used that particular card many times, as well as a couple of others.

i had a "default" card, then the other ones on stand-by.

i texted back..."NO", and then a response back to me was, "we will send you a new card, there is nothing else you have to do, but please check your statements, and contact us if you see anything you do not recall"

well, i did check, my statements, all is well.

but i also went to Amazon and removed my credit cards from my account.

thing is, there is really no way to know for sure, when where i used THAT card, that the information was taken from.

i never go to an online "store" that does not have the padlock in the address bar.

i go to "trusted" sites all the time.

other than not saving cc info on the sites we do business with on a regular basis with, what else do we do?

i do not want to use my debit card, in shear fear of my nack account being bled dry.

good thing "fraud alert" was working.........the only thing i can think of that set off the alert was the shipping address?? or maybe the 3 digit security number on the back of the card?

so i did some googling, and yes, and here is what i found, that can set of the fraud alert....

According to PCI (Payment Card Industry) standards, merchants may store your credit card number and expiration date, but they cannot store your CVV. So, while you may not like to enter the number for each online transaction, doing so is what provides that extra layer of security. Jan 11, 2023

i got a text earlier this morning, in fact, at about 6:30 AM (Saturday March 4th) from one of my CC companies, asking me if i made a particular purchase on Amazon.

now i have used that particular card many times, as well as a couple of others.

i had a "default" card, then the other ones on stand-by.

i texted back..."NO", and then a response back to me was, "we will send you a new card, there is nothing else you have to do, but please check your statements, and contact us if you see anything you do not recall"

well, i did check, my statements, all is well.

but i also went to Amazon and removed my credit cards from my account.

thing is, there is really no way to know for sure, when where i used THAT card, that the information was taken from.

i never go to an online "store" that does not have the padlock in the address bar.

i go to "trusted" sites all the time.

other than not saving cc info on the sites we do business with on a regular basis with, what else do we do?

i do not want to use my debit card, in shear fear of my nack account being bled dry.

good thing "fraud alert" was working.........the only thing i can think of that set off the alert was the shipping address?? or maybe the 3 digit security number on the back of the card?

so i did some googling, and yes, and here is what i found, that can set of the fraud alert....

According to PCI (Payment Card Industry) standards, merchants may store your credit card number and expiration date, but they cannot store your CVV. So, while you may not like to enter the number for each online transaction, doing so is what provides that extra layer of security. Jan 11, 2023
You sure the text wasn't a scam, I didn't think CC companies sent texts, only a letter if your account was in trouble

I've had a credit card number stolen twice after Amazon purchases. I don't worry about it too much with the protections afforded us from our credit card issuers, but I avoid Amazon at all costs. They can't possibly control the thousands of order processors that they hire. Also had my number(s) stolen from several other online retailers...it's a regular thing these days it seems.

My credit union calls, texts and e-mails me fraud alerts regarding the card they issue to me.

As a sidetone, I also receive fraudulent fraud alerts...gotta be careful with everything.

update:

i again checked my credit card account, from this morning.

all charges are my own, except what they blocked.

and i was indeed issued a new credit card with of course a new account number

I think this topic on CC fraud and electronic ‘smart‘device fraud was mentioned a few months ago here, but even so it’s such an ongoing problem with ID theft concerning credit cards and on-line shopping that we cannot leave our guard down.

Even as careful as I claim to be, never ever provide my CC to leave my hands, keep it tucked in an RF shielding cover, never give out my real phone number or email address…I got scammed, not once but twice this year, both at the beginning of the months of Jan and Feb. My suspicions are that I may find another scam coming this weekend.

Back in the first week of Jan, I received about 15-20 texts messages about purchases on my CC that exceeded the set limit. These texts are part of the banks Alert Notification feature. If you don’t have on set-up I suggest you do this for the lowest possible amount. Mine is now set at $20, previously $100, so I get a text for every purchase and an email too.
Immediately I called the CC and although most of the charges were denied, few had to be disputed because they went through. Somehow there are online retailers that can get around the CCV number? My CC (Mastercard), could not answer this. They just issued a credit and eventually found all these charges were fraudulent. They didn’t care too much at all or offered any help in solving the manner in which fraudsters got ahold of my CC#. They sent a new CC, 2 weeks later I back in business.

Oddly, first week of Feb, I get another text notice of CC charge for from a streaming music
service. Quickly called to avoid another barrage of fraud charges, they canceled the CC, issued another and another 2 weeks of waiting.

Of course, like many for ease of checkout, I use my CC for Amazon, PayPal too. A few utilities and a couple of retail subscriptions also had my CC on file, and only one online purchase was made in all of Jan. I tried to backtrack into seeing if these companies had somehow been hacked and my CC info was put out to the dark web.
The problem is these places like Amazon/PP don't answer phones on emails and don’t offer any resolution. I spent a lot of time thrying to do the right thing, more than any CC or retailer cared to do.
Needless to say, now that I’ve changed CC#’s, the Amazon and others do not have the new CC# on file. It takes an extra step now, but at least I’m a little safer by only giving the CC# at time of online order process.

Your ID is expendable to them. It’s up to you to straighten out, weed out the fraud and protect your credit. These companies merely dispose of complaints, issue credits, write off losses, and raise prices while scammers get rich and even avoid prosecution. For the record, there’s a very, very high dollar amount that has to be lost before any CC company will prosecute for fraud. It’s so prevalent that the dollar amounts they lose is so small, compared to them paying to send a representative to court everyday and judges letting the fraudster go, even with the $1000 theft limitations social-justice allowance.

My only thoughts are that either my device has malware or an online retailer had been hacked.

Bottom line - set your transaction limit low and get text notifications. Quit the E-Z checkout, Remember Me for Faster Check Out options. And don’t open email links even if they look legitimate, block all unsolicited email addresses and suspicious text numbers.

I think this topic on CC fraud and electronic ‘smart‘device fraud was mentioned a few months ago here, but even so it’s such an ongoing problem with ID theft concerning credit cards and on-line shopping that we cannot leave our guard down.

Even as careful as I claim to be, never ever provide my CC to leave my hands, keep it tucked in an RF shielding cover, never give out my real phone number or email address…I got scammed, not once but twice this year, both at the beginning of the months of Jan and Feb. My suspicions are that I may find another scam coming this weekend.

Back in the first week of Jan, I received about 15-20 texts messages about purchases on my CC that exceeded the set limit. These texts are part of the banks Alert Notification feature. If you don’t have on set-up I suggest you do this for the lowest possible amount. Mine is now set at $20, previously $100, so I get a text for every purchase and an email too.
Immediately I called the CC and although most of the charges were denied, few had to be disputed because they went through. Somehow there are online retailers that can get around the CCV number? My CC (Mastercard), could not answer this. They just issued a credit and eventually found all these charges were fraudulent. They didn’t care too much at all or offered any help in solving the manner in which fraudsters got ahold of my CC#. They sent a new CC, 2 weeks later I back in business.

Oddly, first week of Feb, I get another text notice of CC charge for from a streaming music
service. Quickly called to avoid another barrage of fraud charges, they canceled the CC, issued another and another 2 weeks of waiting.

Of course, like many for ease of checkout, I use my CC for Amazon, PayPal too. A few utilities and a couple of retail subscriptions also had my CC on file, and only one online purchase was made in all of Jan. I tried to backtrack into seeing if these companies had somehow been hacked and my CC info was put out to the dark web.
The problem is these places like Amazon/PP don't answer phones on emails and don’t offer any resolution. I spent a lot of time thrying to do the right thing, more than any CC or retailer cared to do.
Needless to say, now that I’ve changed CC#’s, the Amazon and others do not have the new CC# on file. It takes an extra step now, but at least I’m a little safer by only giving the CC# at time of online order process.

Your ID is expendable to them. It’s up to you to straighten out, weed out the fraud and protect your credit. These companies merely dispose of complaints, issue credits, write off losses, and raise prices while scammers get rich and even avoid prosecution. For the record, there’s a very, very high dollar amount that has to be lost before any CC company will prosecute for fraud. It’s so prevalent that the dollar amounts they lose is so small, compared to them paying to send a representative to court everyday and judges letting the fraudster go, even with the $1000 theft limitations social-justice allowance.

My only thoughts are that either my device has malware or an online retailer had been hacked.

Bottom line - set your transaction limit low and get text notifications. Quit the E-Z checkout, Remember Me for Faster Check Out options. And don’t open email links even if they look legitimate, block all unsolicited email addresses and suspicious text numbers.
i had received a letter from Wilson that they had been hacked......but i heard about it on one of my websites, either here or another.

that letter should have come to me sooner.

either way, i had called my cc company then, and got a new card.

i don't know if a retailer is saving that CVV number or not, they are not supposed to, according to the link i provided.

in any event, hacking, fraud and ID theft certainly will not stop, not now, not ever.

and yes, ALL my credit cards are in that RFID holder as well as my debit card.

just so much anyone of us can do.

I never did get any notifications of company hacks, but when I did my searches, it was noticed that PayPal had one a while back last year, they offered some free 1 year credit monitoring service. Essentially this can be done by by anyone with id fraud concerns simply notifying credit reporting agencies equifax, trans union, etc and put a ‘stop’ on new cc applications.
My records didn’t reveal any new credit cards issued to anyone using my name/address.

its in rotation again
this week we have received many texts and calls from "AMAZON" claiming we have a 1k billl due on a IPAD

hmmm
WE DONT have an amazon account. i report them as spam to verizon, but they change the number and in a few days its on again

we had 2 cards comprimised last year

and a good bit of people do not know that visa, BA, etc automatically send your new card info to places that you use as a CONVENIENCE to clients when you get a new card

freaking auto save and internet issues
anyway
most don't know the cc companies will automatically send your new card info to places that you have used.
so if a jackwagon gets your card and you cancel it and get a new number, new card etc you need to make sure your CC company opts you out of the auto repopulate your info to places you might have used your card

we got hit 2x by att because asss hat used the number he stole to start cell service and buy a freaking pricey iphone. so when visa cancelled the card, they also sent att the new info , which allowed jackwagon to have att rebill us for the following months service of this person.. my banks fraud finally told me of the OPT out option and most never know.

All the vendors usually have an option to save your card info to streamline check out. I always uncheck that box. Except yesterday I ordered some stuff from Midway and when I didn't have to put in my card info I knew I had left that box checked. It's not something you can just do once. Apparently every time you order they will put that pre-checked box on there and if you don't uncheck it they save the card info.

Some retailers save your info CC# and shipping for your convenience, but when you get a new CC#, it isn’t automatically changed over to those stores.
In my situation recently (Jan and Feb), I knew my monthly subscription orders weren’t shipped because the Saved cc was no longer valid, even my ammo order had the old CC#, so about 4 retailers needed to have the new updated info.
BUT for some reason, AT&T and Apple iCloud were automatically updated to the new CC #.
Seems that certain tech outfits have an inside track on getting your info automatically from the Bank.
For what it’s worth, it was my Mastercard that was compromised twice (so far) this year that was issued by Bank of America.
I’m a bit suspicious that the fraud was a inside job.
This sort of fraud was exposed few years ago when WellsFargo employees who had authorized access to customer info and created bogus accounts when they were pressured to increase product activity.

The unauthorized and unfettered bank employee access really opens the door to fraud.

Back