testtest

Thanksgiving hunt selections

Sld1959

Hellcat
Been kicking around on what to take hunting for deer this year over Thanksgiving week.

My normal selection is real easy, a handgun. Where I like to hunt the shooting is close range, within 20 yards normally. So that choice is easy, this year will be the 1980s Taurus 66 357 6 inch.

A rifle has always been a debate for me, but this year I decided to take one. I think it kind of appropriate to sit in dad's old blind where he has sat in court for the past twenty years or so over a valley he always called "the oaks".

So that presents a long range challenge which he watched over with his 760 Remington in 30/06. He gave that to a nephew. So, I chose the Savage in 243 which I bought in case the 06 got to be too much for dad, he could use the 243. Seems appropriate it's hunting baptism is in dads valley.

20211120_110431.jpg

I will be hunting Thanksgiving with 280 AI my son built for me on Mauser 98 action. Used it this last week to take a 10 point buck. One shot at 102 yards. Did not have to track it as it fell dead where it was shot. Have much bigger bucks on game cam and one buck tag left.

Only problem will be if I get another buck, is that son who flew in from Alaska to hunt with me flew home this morning. Luuckily he took an 8 point with 18 1/2 inch spread and 14 inches off its head.

Attachments

• IMG_20211119_192942.jpg
    IMG_20211119_192942.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 116
  • 0_-1089416352792902036.jpg
    0_-1089416352792902036.jpg
    358.5 KB · Views: 110
I will be hunting Thanksgiving with 280 AI my son built for me on Mauser 98 action. Used it this last week to take a 10 point buck. One shot at 102 yards. Did not have to track it as it fell dead where it was shot. Have much bigger bucks on game cam and one buck tag left.

Only problem will be if I get another buck, is that son who flew in from Alaska to hunt with me flew home this morning. Luuckily he took an 8 point with 18 1/2 inch spread and 14 inches off its head.

Nice, very nice and good shooting!
Glad you got to spend time with your son too.

Very nice indeed

Well congrats to all, and just to pass on some more good news ............. My 'yard' son in N Dakota texted me last night with news of his oldest daughter who I held in my arms when she was 4 days old (now 16) getting her first ever White tailed deer yesterday. She's been hunting with him on and off for the past couple years and finally got one. A pretty big, and healthy doe, a real prize for her ...... and for him. She was really thrilled....... and so was he !!!! .... So was I. :):):)

Well congrats to all, and just to pass on some more good news ............. My 'yard' son in N Dakota texted me last night with news of his oldest daughter who I held in my arms when she was 4 days old (now 16) getting her first ever White tailed deer yesterday. She's been hunting with him on and off for the past couple years and finally got one. A pretty big, and healthy doe, a real prize for her ...... and for him. She was really thrilled....... and so was he !!!! .... So was I. :):):)
Congratulations, it's great seeing the younger generation carrying on the tradition.

Back