testtest

The 21 Foot Rule: What Does It Really Mean

I had a conceal carry instructor slap a rubber pistol out of my hand 5/5 times from 21’ when he made the first fast move at me before i could move my shirt, unholster the rubber pistol and do a “full arm extension” mock shoot. This was for a basic conceal carry class.
His aim was to teach us to:
- practice for close in hip / other close body draw shoot.
- there may not be in the real world a chance get into a stance and do a proper pistol technique like standing in the range bay.
- never underestimate how fast things can change

i was not allowed to draw until he took his first aggressive move.
Very eye opening !!!

If I were in court after a defensive shooting I wouldn’t refer to the Tueller study at all. I’d simply say I was being pursued aggressively and was in fear for my life. If they’re going to try to hang me on the 21’ I’m going to make them bring it up and prove the assailant was at a distance far enough away not to be a threat. Which would be nearly impossible.

I had a conceal carry instructor slap a rubber pistol out of my hand 5/5 times from 21’ when he made the first fast move at me before i could move my shirt, unholster the rubber pistol and do a “full arm extension” mock shoot. This was for a basic conceal carry class.
- there may not be in the real world a chance get into a stance and do a proper pistol technique like standing in the range bay.

Very eye opening !!!
This says a lot about situational awareness that has been discussed multiple times. Now I’m not saying that there are some situations that happen in seconds but training and being focused on what you may be walking into says so much.

Another factor to consider is if the attacker is visibly armed or does he suddenly produce a weapon and starts rushing towards you. Using that surprise element the attacker can cover most of that 21' before you even have time to react.

I would check with your local PD and find out what their current policy is concerning confronting a suspect armed with a knife or club and use that as your basic guideline. My department had/has a 50' rule.

Very eye opening !!!
That would increase the stress factor by about 10

Very eye opening !!!
Why fully extend your arms in the first place at cq? If someone is teaching that it would be idiotic! 1 reason I hip fire!

Why fully extend your arms in the first place at cq? If someone is teaching that it would be idiotic! 1 reason I hip fire!
He was proving a point to brand new conceal carriers that you have to learn to shoot close in sometimes.

case in point
Slap the gun away is an eye opener as most folks always shoot from a range bay in a normal stance

Last edited:
I was a victim of an unprovoked stabbing, and I can testify that those 21 feet can be covered very quickly by an agitated individual that means you harm. All I had time to do was to brace for impact as I was unarmed. Note. I was cornered and escape was not an option. I much older now, and my reflexes aren't what they used to be. I know now that my situational awareness is key to identifying potential threats in hopes of avoiding a confrontation.

Last edited:
I was a victim of an unprovoked stabbing, and I can testify that those 21 feet can be covered very quickly by an agitated individual that means you harm. All I had time to do was to brace for impact as I was unarmed. Note. I was cornered and escape was not an option. I much older now, and my reflexes aren't what they used to be. I know now that my situational awareness is key to identifying potential threats in hopes of avoiding a confrontation.
David so glad your ok!!!
It is a given that things can go from good to stressful to bad and then to “oh crap” very quickly, you can have someone just being agitated by his/her surroundings then snap and they are attacking someone. Is that or will that be you??
Are you alone? Family, friends with you?
Do you have an exit??
Weather conditions? Snow, rain, night time? Lights in your favor?
Stuck in traffic? Walking the dog?
I’m sure you got my point so I won’t go on.
Two words (Situational Awareness)
Never heard of the 21 foot scenario
But it’s paramount to know/see everything around you and plan accordingly. Try not to walk into trouble when you can ahead of time easily walk away.

Another reason my EDC has a laser that turns itself on the instant I draw. No sight picture required. Wherever the gun is (hip, chest, around the corner of a piece of furniture I'm hiding behind), I simply place the laser dot on target and pull the trigger. If I have the opportunity to get the gun up for a traditional sight picture, great. But we all know, we don't always get that chance.

Something else to consider... even if you are able to get off a shot(s), the person coming at you may not go down. (immediately anyway). They are moving, you are moving and under stress. It probably wont be a shot(s) you were hoping for. You might be going hand to hand for a bit. I had an instructor tell us to train for that scenario regardless.

Something else to consider... even if you are able to get off a shot(s), the person coming at you may not go down. (immediately anyway). They are moving, you are moving and under stress. It probably wont be a shot(s) you were hoping for. You might be going hand to hand for a bit. I had an instructor tell us to train for that scenario regardless.

Not to start the whole 9mm versus .45 ACP debate again, but in my opinion having between 8 and 14 rounds of .45 at your disposal will most likely stop a charging assailant, assuming your situational awareness allowed you time to get a few shots off and assuming your point shooting training did it’s job and you were able to hit anything other than appendages.

Back