testtest

The 4-L Rule: Self-Defense Flashlight Techniques

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member

Here are some top self-defense flashlight techniques for using a handheld light in conjunction with a pistol.

The 4-L Rule: Self-Defense Flashlight Techniques

Self-Defense-Flashlight-Harries.jpg

I know this topic comes up a lot. All I have to go by is my experience. I work as a security guard for 15 years, mostly at night.

I carried good lights but the only time ever actually needed my flashlight was for utility tasks.

I worked at a FedEx shipping hub for 3 years. The first year FedEx was there so there were trucks parked all along the fence. I used my light to look underneath the trucks.

The only thing close to a "Tactical" application for a flashlight that I ever had was approaching unfamiliar vehicles on client property after dark. That, and pissing off the Hookers turning car tricks outside the fence.

Even the very few times that I had to clear a building I never went into one where there wasn't sufficient ambient light for me to see what I was doing.

I think I've discussed this here before but the only person that I'm aware of who has actually compiled a detailed list of Citizen involved shootings was Tom Givens. The most important statistic that I want to pull out of this is it of his 66 shootings the overwhelming majority occurred during the hours of Darkness. He defined "Darkness" as 6:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m.

The Following is quoted from a post that Tom Givens made on Glocktalk several years ago.

"Parking lots in this country are not dark, with rare exceptions. Commercial locations, especially, tend to be very well lighted. I have seen my sights better on a convenience store parking lot at 3:00am than on an overcast day at 3:00pm."

during the entire 15 years that I was working as a security guard I cannot point to a single instance where I would have been better off with a Weapon Mounted light or that I felt like I needed a handheld light for a "tactical" application.

the only exception to that is one night I was walking around the perimeter of an electrical substation. It was it's the only one in town that I am aware of that is surrounded by a concrete wall. It's also the only one in town that I'm aware of that the perimeter lights weren't enough to light up the patrol path.

So anyway, the way I did my rounds at that particular substation was I'd walk so far down the wall, turn on my flashlight and scan around me, turn it off and move. One time when I did that I got to my stopping place and I turned on my light and there was a drunk walking through the field next to the substation and I lit him up.

He wasn't on company property he was none of my concern all he was doing was stumbling through that field trying to get home. I apologize and I think he cussed me out but that was the end of it.

So that incident taught me the value of a good light but I still can't think of another time that I actually needed one

Last edited:
I practice the Harries method most and I prefer a light in the 150 to 300 lumens range. My current bedside and jacket light is a Streamlight protac dual fuel. My EDC pocket light is a an Olight 03t aaa light which throws a 180 lumens using.an Energizer lithium, I carry a spare battery in my pocket too.

I find lights over about 300 lumens to create too much reflection off vegetation and light colored walls with my very light sensitive eyes.

I only use weapon mounted lights on my Ar's. Handguns "No". Reason for this is 32 yrs as a Police Officer and yrs of martial arts training and with my experience and training I like the idea of having an impact weapon out as well as my handgun when searching someplace or somewhere just for the mere fact that a situation can change really really quickly and my handgun is a last resort. I'd rather smack someone than use deadly force if I have a choice. Just my two cents...

I practice the Harries method most and I prefer a light in the 150 to 300 lumens range. My current bedside and jacket light is a Streamlight protac dual fuel. My EDC pocket light is a an Olight 03t aaa light which throws a 180 lumens using.an Energizer lithium, I carry a spare battery in my pocket too.

I find lights over about 300 lumens to create too much reflection off vegetation and light colored walls with my very light sensitive eyes.
I taught a number of techniques for tactical use of the flashlight to hundreds of officers. We ended with night fire on a blacked out range, which by the way requires some extraordinary safety protocols. Although multiple techniques were taught, students naturally gravitaed to the Harries and FBI techniques. At CQB range, the light is on the support shoulder or tight next to the shooter's head on the support hand side.

The light should be capable of continuous on/off, and have a momentary on/off switch, it should have a retention, breakaway lanyard for the wrist, and have flat spots on the bezel so it will stay put if you drop it. Surefire lights fit the bill. I dislike strobes on a tactical light, I saw those dang things activate unintentionally often and disorient the shooter. Simple is good.

Back