testtest

The .40

Do you want Springfield to make a XDm Elite .40?

• Yes I'd buy an XDm Elite .40

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • I'm not ready for another awesome gun.

Votes: 7 38.9%

• Total voters
Picked up my EMP 40 as planned. Took a few pics as requested.
As shipped, slide open, slide closed, compared to Kimber Master Carry Pro 45 ACP

Can’t wait to shoot this side by side

Slide is as stiff as expected in a new carry piece. Honestly, I’m just glad I could rack it. It took every bit of strength I had to rack the Kimber when new. I bought the Kimber 4 years ago on Feb 21st, and it racks about equal to the EMP 40. Thus, I expect the Springfield EMP to loosen up over time.

Attachments

• 4563B0E9-03CC-4EC7-BF81-CCF44D60E6D9.jpeg
    4563B0E9-03CC-4EC7-BF81-CCF44D60E6D9.jpeg
    311.3 KB · Views: 203
  • 33AAFCDB-13D3-4509-BB2E-8E32F534F468.jpeg
    33AAFCDB-13D3-4509-BB2E-8E32F534F468.jpeg
    280.4 KB · Views: 202
  • AA8CB3E2-0C88-495C-98B3-55356C844562.jpeg
    AA8CB3E2-0C88-495C-98B3-55356C844562.jpeg
    259.8 KB · Views: 208
  • FF396D7C-62C5-4902-8EFD-5B0FDC26A805.jpeg
    FF396D7C-62C5-4902-8EFD-5B0FDC26A805.jpeg
    244.8 KB · Views: 204
Picked up my EMP 40 as planned. Took a few pics as requested.
As shipped, slide open, slide closed, compared to Kimber Master Carry Pro 45 ACP

Can’t wait to shoot this side by side

Slide is as stiff as expected in a new carry piece. Honestly, I’m just glad I could rack it. It took every bit of strength I had to rack the Kimber when new. I bought the Kimber 4 years ago on Feb 21st, and it racks about equal to the EMP 40. Thus, I expect the Springfield EMP to loosen up over time.
Super nice!👌 Thanks for the pics. It will be tight to rack it as Springfield Armory makes their 1911's with tight tolerances. I like the bi-tone on it too. I'm glad you got a hard shell case 😉
I bought a TRP in .45 ACP and received it in a cardboard box that had my 1911 in a small bag. Wish they would go back to sending out the hardshell cases to everyone when you buy a firearm.
Kuddos to you markr6754 for keeping the .40 alive...lol

Took it out tonight. Had a window of opportunity and I grabbed it.

Shot 24 rounds (3 full magazines each) of Winchester, Maxx-Tech, Fiocchi, and Herter’s. All FMJ FP, ranging from 165gr to 180gr. Pretty decent shooting from some run-of-the-mill ammo. Only one issue...the very first round of Maxx-Tech went “click”. Cocked the hammer, and everything went bang from there. No ejection issues, all locked open on last round.

I brought along my Beretta PX4 Storm, but I only fired new loads, all 155gr Berry’s CPFP. I‘ve been trying out Universal and finally realized it doesn’t drop well, so I hand trickled every round. Not apples to apples comparison, due to the factory versus hand-loads, jacketed versus plated, but I could tell that I do not care for the soft, mushy trigger of the Beretta. On the other hand, the EMP is crisp, fast reset, and probably runs about 5 lbs. I couldn’t imagine it much more than that. I don’t have a trigger gauge, but I shoot 1911s just for that sweet trigger.

The ambi safety is easy to reach, extra long, and doesn’t get in the way at all. I don’t really need an ambi safety, but surprisingly, I could reach it from the “wrong” side to release it.

However, the magazine release is not to my liking. It’s new, and I had on gloves (sailing gloves, not shooting gloves), but I had to change my grip quite a bit to release it. The spring also seems a bit stiff. That may be on purpose, but it’ll take some getting used to.

All in all, very pleased with my first outing. I purposely shot 24 rounds of each ammo so I could do a repeat session after a full take down and cleaning. I took it down before going to the range, shooting it, as it were, right out of the box. Now I’ll clean and lube it and send another 24 rounds down range, saving the last 2 from each box to shoot out of the Beretta, just to see how the longer barrel feels.

So far, the easy conclusion is...I see a lot of fun in my future. In addition, I think I like Universal...and that’s a good thing since I have more than enough.

Took it out tonight. Had a window of opportunity and I grabbed it.

Shot 24 rounds (3 full magazines each) of Winchester, Maxx-Tech, Fiocchi, and Herter’s. All FMJ FP, ranging from 165gr to 180gr. Pretty decent shooting from some run-of-the-mill ammo. Only one issue...the very first round of Maxx-Tech went “click”. Cocked the hammer, and everything went bang from there. No ejection issues, all locked open on last round.

I brought along my Beretta PX4 Storm, but I only fired new loads, all 155gr Berry’s CPFP. I‘ve been trying out Universal and finally realized it doesn’t drop well, so I hand trickled every round. Not apples to apples comparison, due to the factory versus hand-loads, jacketed versus plated, but I could tell that I do not care for the soft, mushy trigger of the Beretta. On the other hand, the EMP is crisp, fast reset, and probably runs about 5 lbs. I couldn’t imagine it much more than that. I don’t have a trigger gauge, but I shoot 1911s just for that sweet trigger.

The ambi safety is easy to reach, extra long, and doesn’t get in the way at all. I don’t really need an ambi safety, but surprisingly, I could reach it from the “wrong” side to release it.

However, the magazine release is not to my liking. It’s new, and I had on gloves (sailing gloves, not shooting gloves), but I had to change my grip quite a bit to release it. The spring also seems a bit stiff. That may be on purpose, but it’ll take some getting used to.

All in all, very pleased with my first outing. I purposely shot 24 rounds of each ammo so I could do a repeat session after a full take down and cleaning. I took it down before going to the range, shooting it, as it were, right out of the box. Now I’ll clean and lube it and send another 24 rounds down range, saving the last 2 from each box to shoot out of the Beretta, just to see how the longer barrel feels.

So far, the easy conclusion is...I see a lot of fun in my future. In addition, I think I like Universal...and that’s a good thing since I have more than enough.
Thanks for the update and range report👍 Glad it ran straight out of the box!

So I checked the brass from the factory ammo I shot on Monday night. Recap...this was a NIB EMP 3” 40 S&W. I successfully fired 96 rounds, though taking 97 trigger pulls to do it. Only one failure to fire. However, that may have just been luck. Throughout the 4 ammo brands there were multiple light primer strikes. In some of them I marvel that the primer even went off, they are that lightly marked. I’m considering the possibility that each of these brands used Federal primers, solely based on primer color.

Does anyone know which primers would be found in:
Winchester USA Ready 165 gr FMJ
Herter’s Target 180 gr FMJ
Maxx-Tech by GH Ammunition 180gr FMJ
Fiocchi 170gr FMJTC

Three are made or loaded in the USA, the Maxx-Tech came from Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Looking for ideas before I get too comfy with this pistol.

Back