testtest

The 44-40's "High Velocity" Little Brother, but I prefer standard loads!!!

You would not believe the grief I have received over the years by loading the 44-40 "hot" as did Winchester factory loads for the Winchester 92' and Marlin 1894 types. This is nothing new, been around for many years....especially since the 1930's.

History

"We first see these new improved performance cartridges in Winchester’s Catalog #70 dated March 1903. Cartridges were head stamped .44 W.C.F. W.H.V. ’M92. Velocity with a 200 gr. metal patched bullet was cataloged at 1,500 f.p.s. in a 24” barrel. Instructions in Winchester’s cataloged and on the cartridge boxes indicated they were not for use in ’73 Winchesters or handguns. Velocity was increased to 1,570 f.p.s. in 1910.

U.M.C. brought out their .44-40 high velocity cartridge shortly after Winchester did. Cartridges were head stamped U.M.C. .44-40 H.V. to distinguish them from the U.M.C. .44-40 head stamp used on the standard cartridge. Cataloged velocity from the start was 1,570 f.p.s. with a 200 gr. bullet. PETERS used the .44-40 H.V. designation."
~John Kort

Cartridge Examples

During my years search, I have acquired several H.V. examples. Although the powder charges vary, the same "Sharpshooter" powder was used from 1903 till the end, 1938... 35 YEARS!!!!!! (DO NOT CONFUSE SHARPSHOOTER WITH TRAIL BOSS, TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT POWDERS)

The first example would be a "Draw Set" I acquired dated 1903. This cartridge contained 20.8gr of Sharpshooter smokeless powder.
see details here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...cnEM1lv6tCWBJsCOB8vLIDOIg/edit#gid=1905899731

With the few examples I have, the powder charges slowly decreased over the years and by late (1929 to 1941), the powder charge has been documented as low as 13.9gr. (see above link)

I have not uncovered any data that would indicate why the cartridge was cataloged as a "Low Pressure" High Velocity cartridge. The only changes I can see from years past (22,000cup) and increase from 1,500fps to 1,570 would be the "improved" Staynless primers. Unfortunately I was not able to acquire enough to be tested with the Pressuretrace II system.

• 1903-1919 started the High Velocity offerings @ 1,500fps for the Winchester Model 92'. 1917/1918 data shows 18,000 cup to 20,000 cup "Service Pressures"
  • 1920-1941 finished the saga with High Velocity "High Pressure" loads at 1,570fps @ 22,000cup. Although the WHV was reported seen as late as 1945, I believe the last published offering was 1938.

147716567_1725601724287070_9000408018494383786_n.jpg
164891439_480080883027765_8324421010584667460_n.jpg

Sharpe once wrote in his 1937 hand-loading manual...

" The 44-40 is capable of excellent performance when loaded properly for handgun use. If, however, one endeavors to combine loading for both handgun and rifle in this caliber, he is destined to meet with only mediocre success. As in all other dual-purpose cartridges, the factory loads are only a compromise at best. Smokeless-powder loading for handguns requires a much more rapid-burning type than loading for rifle use, as the short barrel must burn all the powder if satisfactory results are to be achieved. In addition, rifle cartridges can be loaded to a pressure of about 30,000 pounds in this caliber, whereas the same load in a revolver would be more or less disastrous." Thus the reason for modern mediocre factory loads using pistol powders."

Did any English scholars out there notice the content that this was written? Although I am no scholar, this is written in a way that leads one to believe he is explaining that the 44-40 rifle loading has always been the lead role during that time-frame and that people were having issues with loading the revolvers, 100% reverse than is done today. Today, it is the revolver that is the lead role with pistol powders and the rifle loads that have mediocre success.

That wording meant that the rifle was king with rifle smokeless powders and the revolver needed help. Revolvers needed to use the new formulas of fast burning pistol powders to re-achieve their black powder performance. Lets change the wording of Sharpe and see how it will look with todays powder and loading standards.

Hypothetically...

" The 44-40 rifle is capable of excellent performance when loaded properly for rifle use. If, however, one endeavors to combine loading for both handgun and rifle in this caliber, he is destined to meet with only mediocre success. As in all other dual-purpose cartridges, the factory loads are only a compromise at best. Smokeless-powder loading for rifles requires a bit slower-burning type powder than the faster-burning loading required for revolver use, as the longer barrel allows more time for the slower burning rifle powders to burn enough powder if satisfactory lower chamber pressure results
and original 1,300fps or greater velocities are to be achieved. In addition, revolver cartridges can be loaded to a pressure of only about 11,000 psi in this caliber, whereas the same load in a rifle can be more or less favorably closer to 18,000 ps
i for strong action rifles."

I do load my (normal pressure) rifle powder cartridges in my revolvers but like Sharpe explained, velocity is compromised and results are notably slower than when using pistol powders. By the same token, using pistol powders in rifles creates less velocities at greater pressures than when using the appropriate rifle powders..

Sharpe goes on to continue and explains that a wide range of bullets are available but one must slug his barrel and measure the slug carefully.

Replicating such H.V. loads can be fun but require a complete understanding of what one could do vs should do...and with what firearms.

Lyman's 49th reloading manual lists such H.V. load data, only to be used in Group 2 rifles like the Winchester 92 and Marlin 94 types.

Lyman lists nineteen rifles chambered for the 44-40 of which Nine are suitable for H.V. Loads.

"Group 2" (Strong Actions)
Winchester Model 1892 (& replicas)
Marlin Model 1889
Marlin Model 1894
Remington Keene Bolt Action
Remington Model 14 1/2 pump action
Winchester Single Shot rifles
Remington No 1 Rolling Block single shot
Remington "Baby Carbine" single shot
Stevens Model 44 1/2 single shot

The best powder I have used for these loads is IMR-4227.
see Smokeless Powder Transition Years here:

I used the Marlin "Cowboy" for shots to hit golfballs out to 265 yards. I also used a Magnum framed SA revolver for shots at 100 yards. of which both videos are on youtube.

These loads are not very pleasant to shoot and I much prefer shooting my Uberti Winchester 73' with standard 1,350fps loads out to 200 yards , which can be seen in the below video

Last edited:
Back