testtest

The 5.56 myth.

Very informative Video.

1582311913703.jpeg

Bet this Westinghouse Phased Plasma Rifle in 40 Watt Range would tear up that wall.........😂

Last edited:
Good informative vid. There's are some of my observations and things that have to be put into context/thought about.

General observations
  1. The gel behind each barrier is you.
  2. The guy said if they don't have the voids filled/reinforced and as shown they can break down due to lateral penetrating force. So standard concrete block construction should have internal and external (brick sheathing).
  3. Brick is extruded/molded then baked vs. poured concrete block. Both have high compressive strength. Because they're baked red bricks have a higher surface hardness, thus they are a form of armor.
  4. Layering of either exterior materials, and/or interior conditions will influence the potential for over-penetration that was demonstrated.
  5. When & where I grew up red brick exteriors were common on homes. Not anymore. Basically, in almost every place I've lived since its been exterior walls of stud/siding/dry wall construction. However, some parts of the country may still commonly use brick for homes.
  6. If you have the big $$ to build a custom house a reinforced exterior may pay off.
  7. On the side & not in the video a metal roof is very useful in areas prone to wildfires.
Vid results

Unless you have a very sturdy exterior/interior construction you're vulnerable inside your house from external & internal threats.
  1. The exterior stud/siding/dry wall construction, most common in modern stick-built homes, were all easily penetrated by all weapons to various degrees.
  2. The interior stud/drywall/surface finish, most common in modern stick-built homes, were all easily penetrated, one way or another.
  3. Throw in the vulnerability of windows (unless they're special) there's no protection there also.
Again, the gel behind each barrier is you.

Therefore, if you're a defender you should take into consideration how vulnerable you are when using interior walls/doors as cover.
  1. In planning how you would defend yourself/family inside the house evaluate where strong points may be to provide you greater protection to defend from.
a. Furniture/a safe may be helpful in providing a layered defense.​
b. Minimize exposure to hostile fire using angles that benefit you vs. an intruder.​
c. Use distraction/deterrence methods to advantage.​

2. And plan on how you may exfil from from your home if needed/possible.​

Take home message - Your home may not be your castle.

My .02

PS - One observation is the 9mm & 5.56 used were all hard ball. It would have been interesting to see hollow point/soft point ammo to see any penetration differences.

Last edited:
It's title is such because some believe that the 5.56 has some crazy penetration power that will penetrate your walls and through your neighbors wall too. Absolutely not true. Therefore it's a myth.

Well standard 5.56 fmj did penetrate every wall except the brick & block exterior walls. The only 5.56 that wouldn't would be frangible.

Not all homes have brick & block exterior walls so one must be aware of their immediate surroundings.

So maybe less of a myth depending on the test.

Good vid with what they used anyhow.

Last edited:
Well 5.56 did penetrate every wall except the brick & block exterior walls.

The only 5.56 that wouldn't would be frangible.

Not all homes have brick & block exterior walls so one must be aware of their immediate surroundings.
Where I live we all have brick homes. And no, the 5.56 did not penetrate all the way through the wall. It went through the first part of the brick and tumbled around and stayed in the brick. Never existed into the drywall. Most rounds will penetrate basic drywall. but not through interior wall and brick exterior wall. So... the 5.56 will absolutely not go through my house and into my neighbors house. Myth busted.

Not only that of brick homes, I seriously doubt a 5.56 round would have the energy to penetrate a wood or vinyl sided home and travel through a neighbor's walls too. Once the 5.56 round hits it's target it will begin to deform, slow down, and tumble. Not worried one bit about over penetration and going into a neighbor's house.

Where I live we all have brick homes. And no, the 5.56 did not penetrate all the way through the wall. It went through the first part of the brick and tumbled around and stayed in the brick. Never existed into the drywall. Most rounds will penetrate basic drywall. but not through interior wall and brick exterior wall. So... the 5.56 will absolutely not go through my house and into my neighbors house. Myth busted.

Not everyone lives in a brick house. And I didn't say in either of my posts (above) that the 5.56 penetrated the brick/block walls. The test proved that. So I didn't say a 5.56 rd would go through that type of house.

Last edited:
Not only that of brick homes, I seriously doubt a 5.56 round would have the energy to penetrate a wood or vinyl sided home and travel through a neighbor's walls too. Once the 5.56 round hits it's target it will begin to deform, slow down, and tumble. Not worried one bit about over penetration and going into a neighbor's house.

And the tests showed the 5.56 rd drilling right through the non-brick/block exterior/interior walls until it hit the ballistic gel (a whole different material) where it tumbled like it was designed to. The 5.56 rd was stable until it went into the gel and the penetration profile shows it didn't tumble until it penetrated the gel a certain distance.

If a 5.56 rd was shot from a house interior out its easy to say it would exit and hit a neighbors house if the houses were non-brick/block constructed.

So in your situation you're correct, but everyone doesn't live in the same type of construction. So like I said not all homes have brick & block exterior walls so one must be aware of their immediate surroundings.

It's clear we all don't live in brick homes. Never once implied that. The 5.56 myth I posted clearly shows that it wont over penetrate in brick homes. But as I previously posted, I seriously doubt if it's fired indoors and missed it's target that it would penetrate into a neighbor's house that has a wood, or vinyl sided exterior. The video does not show the 5.56 being shot at walls that have these alternative exteriors.
As anyone should already take into consideration that you own every round you send down range. Yes, everyone should be aware of their surroundings. Didn't think that needed to be pointing out rather than just common sense. Here are some articles where an AR15 was used to defend homes and over penetration was never mentioned.
If you disagree with me that's OK. We all will have different opinions. And until I see a 5.56 round used in a home or mock home and then penetrate through another home or mock home across the street, or at a distance where most neighboring houses are located I feel confident the standard 5.56 55grain round will not be an issue.
Respectfully speaking.

Good informative vid. There's are some of my observations and things that have to be put into context/thought about.

General observations
  1. The gel behind each barrier is you.
  2. The guy said if they don't have the voids filled/reinforced and as shown they can break down due to lateral penetrating force. So standard concrete block construction should have internal and external (brick sheathing).
  3. Brick is extruded/molded then baked vs. poured concrete block. Both have high compressive strength. Because they're baked red bricks have a higher surface hardness, thus they are a form of armor.
  4. Layering of either exterior materials, and/or interior conditions will influence the potential for over-penetration that was demonstrated.
  5. When & where I grew up red brick exteriors were common on homes. Not anymore. Basically, in almost every place I've lived since its been exterior walls of stud/siding/dry wall construction. However, some parts of the country may still commonly use brick for homes.
  6. If you have the big $$ to build a custom house a reinforced exterior may pay off.
  7. On the side & not in the video a metal roof is very useful in areas prone to wildfires.
Vid results

Unless you have a very sturdy exterior/interior construction you're vulnerable inside your house from external & internal threats.
  1. The exterior stud/siding/dry wall construction, most common in modern stick-built homes, were all easily penetrated by all weapons to various degrees.
  2. The interior stud/drywall/surface finish, most common in modern stick-built homes, were all easily penetrated, one way or another.
  3. Throw in the vulnerability of windows (unless they're special) there's no protection there also.
Again, the gel behind each barrier is you.

Therefore, if you're a defender you should take into consideration how vulnerable you are when using interior walls/doors as cover.
  1. In planning how you would defend yourself/family inside the house evaluate where strong points may be to provide you greater protection to defend from.
a. Furniture/a safe may be helpful in providing a layered defense.​
b. Minimize exposure to hostile fire using angles that benefit you vs. an intruder.​
c. Use distraction/deterrence methods to advantage.​

2. And plan on how you may exfil from from your home if needed/possible.​

Take home message - Your home may not be your castle.

My .02

PS - One observation is the 9mm & 5.56 used were all hard ball. It would have been interesting to see hollow point/soft point ammo to see any penetration differences.
Great view on this thank you.

That is so bogus a test.... I have to laugh..... let's get serious here for a minute.
5.56 goes out one of your WINDOWs, cause you missed the bad guy.
Goes in the window of a neighbor's kids bedroom.

Or with the brick and stone construction are all your homes devoid of doors and windows?

Drive by down the street from me.... went in the window and through an interior wall
and stuck in the next room exterior wall. Right over the homeowner's (she was 80 something)
bed.
Don't know what it came out of as the shooter was never caught. But it was a .224 bullet. I was
there when it was extracted by LEO.

Can't help but wonder if folks have brick and mortar between the first floor ceiling and the
floor of their kids room upstairs should a confrontation become a bit wild......

Yes, windows are not the barrier that was included in the test. Probably because it's common sense that many bullets will penetrate and will go through a flat house window. I'm sure the video cast did not intend for it to be Monday morning quarterbacked as so many variables could take place. The case scenario of the different walls was just that. It wasn't intended to include windows as for the above mentioned reason I believe. But to merely give an idea of what the different rounds used do against different barrier walls.
Though since this test is laughable, it would be nice if you would provide us a video that is more concrete and a good test in your eyes. Would enjoy looking at the variable that you present that was left out of this video.

Yes, windows are not the barrier that was included in the test. Probably because it's common sense that many bullets will penetrate and will go through a flat house window. I'm sure the video cast did not intend for it to be Monday morning quarterbacked as so many variables could take place. The case scenario of the different walls was just that. It wasn't intended to include windows as for the above mentioned reason I believe. But to merely give an idea of what the different rounds used do against different barrier walls.
Though since this test is laughable, it would be nice if you would provide us a video that is more concrete and a good test in your eyes. Would enjoy looking at the variable that you present that was left out of this video.
Don't need to make one..... just look around the web.....

Yes this video you posted is not the same scenario. This video you posted is clearly an act of gang violence with a drive by with gangsters that don't know how to shoot just spraying and praying. Surely one of the randomly shot bullets made it into the house window from just outside the house. But absolutely not shot from a neighbor's house and entering this house while defending against an intruder. I would encourage you to please find the forum a video that shows a homeowner defending his home from the interior and having that calculated shot or shots go through his house and enter a neighboring dwelling. I doubt you will find one. If so and I am wrong, I would really like to see it.

Some how I don't see your point. 5.56 can go through 2 windows and kill some one. Most certainly doesn't have to be a gang banger. Quite possibly the Intruder shooting at you puts one out the window. Most homes do have several windows..... you want some kind of video more than I presented. I feel that the video more than supports my statement about windows being shot through.

Some how I don't see your point. 5.56 can go through 2 windows and kill some one. Most certainly doesn't have to be a gang banger. Quite possibly the Intruder shooting at you puts one out the window. Most homes do have several windows..... you want some kind of video more than I presented. I feel that the video more than supports my statement about windows being shot through.
Maybe you don't get my point because you keep on focusing on how bullets can go through windows. No one has disputed that. I can't understand why you made it a subject matter over a test done on makeshift walls to demonstrate penetration results from various rounds. It wasn't meant to include windows on purpose. It was a test done on walls.
Can't see where the video you posted supports anything other than gang members sprayin and praying from a moving vehicle hit a window and caused the damage. So my point is what I said earlier. You can't find a video or story where a home owner defending their home with an AR15 has over penetrated and shot through their own home and their neighbors. Part of defending your home should not just be owning a gun with ammo. But one should train on the weapon chosen as the home self defense weapon. Rounds being shot through a window towards a neighbor's house and entering one of their windows would just be unlikely. Especially when the target zone should be center mass. And close quarters like inside a home is hard to miss. Is what you are saying a possibility? Sure it is? But personally I don't see it being likely. See my post #11 where it's not my opinion but real life homeowners defended their homes with an AR15 and not anything you are saying was reported. Again, unlikely to happen.
And don't get me wrong I am in no way looking for an argument or trying to be disrespectful. We all have different opinions and won't always agree on everything. I am merely trying to keep open dialogue with you. I enjoy reading your posts and hope for healthy dialog in the future.

Back