testtest

The Badazz GIGN Unit

10mmLife

Staff member
Founding Member
Here's a cool video showing some of the special operations training that the French GIGN perform to be one of, if not the most experienced and successful anti-terror units in the world.

GIGN team members each carry a .357 Manhurin M73 revolver as a sidearm that they extensively train with to take on any unfortunate baddie that decides to take the room temperature challenge.

Last edited:
Here's a cool video showing some of the special operations training that the French GIGN perform to be one of, if not the most experienced and successful anti-terror units in the world.

The GIGN team members carry a .357 Manhurin M73 revolver as a sidearm that they extensively train with to take on any unfortunate baddie that decides to take the room temperature challenge.

They get lots of action unforetunately with all the terrorism going in in France. 😰
They need to be one of the best in the world

The French military is pooh-poohed a lot by the US (and UK) mil communities and vets. But the truth is that the frog special ops boys do know their stuff. They were early entrants to the modern game during the Algerian independence movement…
Their regular forces are pretty lame, but the important stuff gets handled by their pros, and the French Foreign Legion.

Final observation: I find it unsurprising that GIGN is not using the 9mm !

The French military is pooh-poohed a lot by the US (and UK) mil communities and vets. But the truth is that the frog special ops boys do know their stuff. They were early entrants to the modern game during the Algerian independence movement…
Their regular forces are pretty lame, but the important stuff gets handled by their pros, and the French Foreign Legion.

Final observation: I find it unsurprising that GIGN is not using the 9mm !
They do use 9mm; but for some ops, they prefer the .357…one reason is that revolvers work well when using a ballistic shield (slide can’t strike it in recoil and short stroke).

And a bit of them at work:

Unless #$%& has changed since my military days '79-'99 then all the pooh-poohing is good natured multinational ribbing. I've served a couple of tours with international troops and the Frencies ain't all that bad once you get past their accent lol. Historically speaking the pooh poohing is due to the fact that they allowed Germany to march right into Paris without firing a shot. That had everything to do with their leadership at the time and not with the capability of their military. Also historically speaking if it weren't for the help of the French in the War of Independence it is more than likely we would not have won that one.

Unless #$%& has changed since my military days '79-'99 then all the pooh-poohing is good natured multinational ribbing. I've served a couple of tours with international troops and the Frencies ain't all that bad once you get past their accent lol. Historically speaking the pooh poohing is due to the fact that they allowed Germany to march right into Paris without firing a shot. That had everything to do with their leadership at the time and not with the capability of their military. Also historically speaking if it weren't for the help of the French in the War of Independence it is more than likely we would not have won that one.
Saying “…they just let Germany march into Paris without firing a shot” is woefully ignorant of the actual events.

There was a massive failure in French high command, believing that the Maginot line would be sufficient, and that the Franco-British forces in the north would be able to stop any attacks through the Low Countries. The possibility that the Ardennes was actually penetrable by mechanized forces was never considered (also because the French had gotten their hands on the Von Schlieffen plan, and took it as gospel).

The French forces that were in the way of Guderian’s panzers? They fought, and hard….but, they were outnumbered, out maneuvered, and quickly cut off…leading to Dunkirk. French forces tried to hold on the Somme after that, and did so for two days in the face of a determined German assault, but were outmatched across the board.

You could also look up the exploits of the Free French units, as well as the French resistance…

All in all, anyone who thinks the French “just gave up” in WW2 really doesn’t know what they’re talking about.

Back