testtest

The Battle Rifle’s Future is 6.5mm (6.8mm)....

Not according to Hornady and the 6mm ARC.

Nor is the 6mm ARC since it is a development for the commercial civilian market by Hornady.

The 6mm ARC is not in the US Army's 6.8mm Next Generation Squad Weapons (NGSW) competition. The US Army has specified a 6.8mm diameter bullet (US Army developed) in a cartridge of each of the three competitors design.

The Army’s Next-Generation Squad Weapon Is a Big Hit With SOCOM

One of these rifles will become the Army's next-generation weapon of choice

Three Companies Vie to Make Next-Gen Squad Weapon

Hornady may be a subcontractor to one of the three due to their expertise.

But, SOCOM is testing the 6.5 ARC, as they do with many new developments. Note: G&A exaggerated a bit when they said the US Military adopts it, when it was actually..." While Hornady has been extremely secretive about who adopted the cartridge, they can say that it is a “notable Department of Defense (DOD) entity.” Entity = SOCOM.

U.S. Military Adopts Hornady's New Cartridge: 6mm ARC

SOCOM tests/uses a lot of non-standardized kit that tickles their fancy.

Needless to say the 6mm ARC is a nice cartridge.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification. I guess it's just another attempt at selling uppers with "magic" cartridges. I'm an old timer who will stick with what works - 7.62X51.

Thanks for the clarification. I guess it's just another attempt at selling uppers with "magic" cartridges. I'm an old timer who will stick with what works - 7.62X51.

No worries. I've almost lost count of all the various cartridges that the marketplace has developed for the AR platform. Some come & go.

Back