testtest

THE BEST QUOTE EVER

I agree with Col. Cooper on 99.999% of just about everything.
My dear old Dad who I always called "Pappy" would be 119 years old this July, he was a life long cowboy. The real kind and he had a witty saying for just about everything but one of my favorites was when he would see some somebody dressed or acting strange (he wouldn't believe things now) he would look at me and grin and say "The things you see when you don't have a gun." Sorry but I thought I'd share that little bit of 'What Pappy used to say.'

I agree with Col. Cooper on 99.999% of just about everything.
My dear old Dad who I always called "Pappy" would be 119 years old this July, he was a life long cowboy. The real kind and he had a witty saying for just about everything but one of my favorites was when he would see some somebody dressed or acting strange (he wouldn't believe things now) he would look at me and grin and say "The things you see when you don't have a gun." Sorry but I thought I'd share that little bit of 'What Pappy used to say.'
i know, at my age, many times, i wish we didn't have laws or rules on shooting someone...lol

my late dad used to say, "you watch, the way things are going, it's going to be like the cowboy days, and everyone is going to have a gun"...

basically, he was right, many people do carry guns these days............however, both the thugs and honest people

i know, at my age, many times, i wish we didn't have laws or rules on shooting someone...lol

my late dad used to say, "you watch, the way things are going, it's going to be like the cowboy days, and everyone is going to have a gun"...

basically, he was right, many people do carry guns these days............however, both the thugs and honest people
I'm pretty sure the baddies had guns then too.
Oh I bet the world would get a lot more polite if everyone was packing!

I grew up working in my dad's mechanic shop in a small town near the Texas/Mexico border. There were several bars within a block from my dad's shop. Every Friday and Saturday night there were fights. My dad used those fights as teaching moments from the safety of the mechanic garage.

When I was about 7 or 8 I saw a fight on Friday afternoon while our shop was open that resulted in a guy getting stabbed several times. I'll never forget it.

My dad was a peaceful man, but he knew violence from growing up in Mexico and then moving to the US as a teenager. I only saw him fight once (over somebody disrespecting my mom) he hit the guy so hard and so fast, the guy's head bounced off a wall and he crumpled to the floor.

I feel extremely blessed to have been adopted by him(and his family) because he was humble but he knew a lot of stuff about life. Eventually I figured that he was smart in many ways and started listening to him. His brothers and cousins were just as street smart, so I tried to learn from them...:)

There's an old Spanish proverb that I still keep in my head to this day, "Cada cabeza es un mundo."(Every head is a world.). Be aware and respectful of the different "worlds" around you and your chances of survival will increase...:)

I'm pretty sure the baddies had guns then too.
Oh I bet the world would get a lot more polite if everyone was packing!
but, should it take everyone "packing" to be polite to one another..???

i blame a lot of the problems on the borders being open to anyone, from anywhere.

back in my grand dad's day, he had to have a sponsor to come to America, he had to have a job, and housing, in which back then, you DID NOT get onto Welfare, off the boat.....

LOOOOOOONG POST WARNING

I'm basing what I'm about to say on these six books.
20230318_100758.jpg

Tombstone and Dodge City by Tom Clavin, The Outlaw Trail by Charles Kelly, Billy the Kid: The Endless Ride by Michael Wallis They Died With There Boots On (A biography of John Wesley Hardin) By Thomas Ripley
20230318_101835.jpg

And The Cattlemen by Mari Sandoz.

The bottom line is The old west was corrupt as hell. It was basically run by organized crime.

You know how in the old western movies it's always the big Rancher against the small Homesteader? That was essentially true. The big Ranchers held on to their beef monopolies by force. There was a guy in western Nebraska named Print Olive who grew his herd by simply accusing any smaller Rancher of theft of cattle, confiscating their herd and killing them if they resisted. He did that for years with very little resistance before he finally pissed somebody off in a saloon and the guy shot him in the back.

The Johnson County War was really interesting. According to the book The Outlaw Trail the Johnson County war was honest ranchers cleaning out Rustlers. According to The Cattlemen it was big ranchers wiping out smaller Ranchers and confiscating their herds. There were also a couple of instances where the smaller Rancher resisted and the bigger Rancher just showed up at their home with overwhelming numbers and hung everybody in the family including the kids.

There really weren't any civil rights in the Old West. Most of the court systems in the judges were openly corrupt. The Earp Brothers were pimps ( that's where that scene in the movie Tombstone come from in which Ike Clanton calls Virgil and Wyatt pimps) and most of their "wives" (including Josephine Marcus) were prostitutes.

There was also quite a bit of gun control in the Old West (Tombstone City Ordinance Number 9. When Wyatt Earp and Bat Masterson were the Marshall and Sheriff of Dodge City people (Drovers) were forbidden to carry firearms north of the Deadline.

The Colt Peacemaker, the gun that won the West, cost about a month's pay back then. Very few people (relatively) carried them.

Almost every time in those six bucks that I read about a gunfight in the Old West it was an ambush and a whole bunch of those guys got shot in the back.

According to sheriff Johnny Behan the clintons and the MC Lowry's had their hands up and were surrendering when the Earps started shooting. I I don't know if I believe that because it makes sense to me if that was true Wyatt would have capped Ike.

So I said all that to say that in my opinion as the police step back from enforcing the law. You're not going to see a bunch of armed citizens stepping up to the plate. You're going to see what you're seeing right now in Seattle and Portland and in downtown Los Angeles and San Francisco. The gangs and the mobs are going to run the towns.

during the lockdowns I saw a bunch of people open carrying in Colorado Springs.

I believe that most of them saw the world going to hell around them and they were part of that big surge of people buying guns and they didn't have a concealed handgun permit so they just carried their guns openly.

What I'm also seeing is every couple days somebody gets shot and it's usually criminal shooting other criminals or drive by as or things like that.

I'm not seeing a lot of good upstanding citizens defending themselves with their handguns.

So, this post is already a book and I'm sorry for that so I'm going to stop it right here.

I just wanted to comment on the idea that it's going to be like the old west and everybody's going to be packing heat and we're going to clean up the town. Cuz that ain't happening.

Last edited:
Back