testtest

The Complimentary Shooter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I interact if somebody approaches me however I generally keep to myself. I find the people at my gun club/range tend to be more chatty even if I don’t know them and I’m fine with that. I do tend to quietly compare my skills with the people next to me.

Generally I keep to my self at commercial ranges. Unless I see someone genuinely trying but not quite getting it. When I go out to doors to public spaces and shooting areas I try to talk to those nearby, to get a feel for the situation. This has been an asset on several occasions. Its always good to have an idea of whether another shooter will "have your back."

On particular time I was chatting with a gentleman and his grand son. When another party showed up. This guy starts walking toward my gear then abruptly turned his head when he noticed my shooting partner still in the car. He then turned and went back to his vehicle. Gramps and I look at each other and exchange the 'its time to roll out look.' By the time I get back to my pad gramps is rolling out. About this time a little rice burner comes off the road sideways in a powerslide. I get my gear loaded and start to pull out. It at this time that I notice gramps waiting for me at the entrance.

Always take a buddy in public spaces. If you can't let someone know where you are and when you intend to be back. Get an idea of who is around and ask if they mind, the response should give you a good idea of who you are talking to and their state of mind.Most importantly keep your head on a swivel.

Indoors it's the feeling I get from my neighbor, outdoors not really due to the berms and size of the bays. I will differ in one aspect though which is safety (99% of time indoor), my first action would be to casually point out the safety issue. If that doesn't work I will call or stop the RO to let them know of the infractions. The majority of people that approach me I find are not intrusive but polite and looking for suggestions or making an acquaintance for later and I try to follow that example.
It would be very hard on me if something would happen to them or someone else and I hadn't done or said something.

I sometimes chat with people at the range if I feel someone is interested in what I'm doing or if they have a gun I'm interested in I may ask about it. If someone seems short and not interested I won't proceed to engage them in conversation. I've met a lot of cool people at the club I belonged to.

My club range is also open to the public. Safety issues I promptly report to RSO.
Many times I will be asked for assistance and do my best to help. Since my time
at the lane is not measured I don't have to hurry.
I wear electronic ears which allow me to hear conversation without a problem.
When I have one of the granddaughters (20-25) with me there does become a
great interest in what we are shooting..... :ROFLMAO:

I did tell a couple of girls next to me at the range not to be pointing their Taurus Judge in directions toward other folks. I tried to be diplomatic, but it was making me nervous. :) They were having fun with their new Judge, though. You could easily tell they didn't really know what they were doing, but they were having fun anyway.

I did tell a couple of girls next to me at the range not to be pointing their Taurus Judge in directions toward other folks. I tried to be diplomatic, but it was making me nervous. :) They were having fun with their new Judge, though. You could easily tell they didn't really know what they were doing, but they were having fun anyway.
That's when I have the RSO come in and explain firearm safety/etiquette. Then he may advise them to ask me
if they have a question, or he'll ask me to assist them for a few minutes. Which I don't mind doing. Have assisted
many. I don't mind and it is fun seeing newbie's improving. Must be all that college instruction that I did!!.

Our range is a membership-only facility, and out in the country. I live 4 miles from town, in a semi-rural area, and the range is 13 miles further out from me. Every member has the combination to the gate lock, and it's a self-serve, first-come, first serve, outdoor facility, with 7 benches/lanes for pistol or rifle. No RO/SO present (except for scheduled werkend competitions, which I don't do).

If other shooter(s) are there I will nod to them and briefly speak. At first I will keep a non-chalant eye on them initially, just to see if they're going to be safe. Talking about keeping your head on a swivel, a majority of the times I'm there alone, and I keep my electronic earpro volume turned-up. I can hear a vehicle coming up the gravel road entrance, which is to the shooting area's rear. I used to not do it, but now carry a pistol holstered on my hip, instead of just laying it on the bench. You never know who will show up out in that remote area.

Ok so for me no one other then me or my lady handles my firearms. That’s just the way I am.
I have seen to many guns accidentally dropped.
Second is I don’t hold or shoot another person’s firearm as I don’t know how they take care of there weapons.
As far as talking to other shooters at the range I will if I feel they are approachable if not I will keep to myself.
I will compliment if possible but never suggest a solution to an obvious issue.
the last time I went to an outdoor range a young man maybe in his late twenties showed up with who I believe was his girlfriend and I believe her mother. He was showing them how to shoot. He was absolutely horrible and couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn at 5 feet. He was also showing his girlfriend his way of holding the gun which I could tell she struggled with although she hit the target. I was packing up to leave but while the guy was shooting I complimented the girlfriend and talked briefly with her about holding the gun another way. I was there long enough to see her shoot again and hold the gun like I talked to her about, she did great. The guy was so flustered he went to load the gun again and dropped it.
Time to go I said.

I used to not do it, but now carry a pistol holstered on my hip, instead of just laying it on the bench. You never know who will show up out in that remote area.
I have always done this. I would always tell my friends when they would comment, who wants to be the only fella with an empty gun at the range when everyone else is loaded.

Sometimes I'm at the range to actually get something accomplished and some days I'm there to just have some fun. When I'm there to work, I try to concentrate on that and don't chat much because it's taking up time that I need to shoot, take notes, and evaluate what I'm working on. If I'm there to play then I have no problem chatting and having a good time as long as it's not disturbing anyone else. This past Saturday I had a new rifle out but it was raining so it was just me and the RO, who I knew from some matches and other range trips. He'd been spotting for me for a while so I let him have a go for a magazine.

I have always done this. I would always tell my friends when they would comment, who wants to be the only fella with an empty gun at the range when everyone else is loaded.
At the range I always have a loaded gun on my hip. Not supposed to and I’ve seen the RO approach someone on it. He stopped me one day and told me he knows I carry but respects the way I carry out my business so he won’t bother me on it.

I make good with as many of the RO's that I can and some of them really are good friends. I see it as a wise thing to do because if they know I'm not a douche then it gives me a little more freedom of movement to shoot and develop skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back