testtest

THE EDC KNIFE

Honorman

Elite
I’m pretty sure everyone on this forum carries some type of firearm, but what about the EDC knife. If so, do you carry it for more less of a utility tool or to you have formal knife fighting training. Is your knife a folder or a fixed blade. When I began my duties in Special Operations our team received training in knife fighting as a matter of courses that were required. I thought I was well versed in this area until an opportunity came up that I took full advantage of. My partner and I were invited to go to Camp Pendleton to train with Force Recon Marines with an instructor who was known for being involved in numerous knife take downs. This individual was part of an unit that operated in very remote areas and their job was to hunt terrorist’s who were involved in ethnic cleansing operations and were wiping out entire villages. What was taught was so violent it was like unlike no other knife fighting class I ever took. Straight up sentry removal with stealth movement. I know what you might be thinking. Why was this necessary when these individuals were well armed. Many times this unit would engage the enemy which had more numbers than them so perimeter guards ETC. Had to to be removed without firing a shot even with suppressed weapons until it was advantageous to go into full direct action. This class focused not only on techniques of dispatching the bad guys but more importantly the approach to the target was paramount. You can imagine if detected how things could go down hill real fast. This instructor would move like a ghost until the point of contact. This class really opened my eyes into the world of knives and the violence of action that is required. I found huge respect for those who knives and just how deadly one can be when well trained. Now I should point out that in the missions I was involved in it would be extremely rare for me to deploy this kind of action. None the the less, this training is something I continue to train in for those”just in case situations”. I provided this information to you to ask just how much importance to you place on your training if you carry a knife. Do you give the same attention to knife training that you do your firearm. I think it is assumed that most people would just go to their gun to take care of the threat. Is this the correct mindset? What if you were unable to deploy your weapon, but had access to your knife. Would you know what to do, and how to properly deploy it. If you use a folder, would you be able to get the blade into battery quick enough VS a fixed blade that can be deployed once drawn. Based on this class ,I carried two different Strider brand full size fixed blades for duty and off duty I preferred to carry a smaller fixed blade because it’s faster to deploy and stronger than folding knives. Another thing to keep in mind that if you encounter someone with a knife who has training don’t think for moment that just because you have a gun you have nothing to worry about. What I learned in this class was mind blowing so take nothing for granted my friends. Let me know your thoughts on the topic.

I carry a fixed blade Gerber Shrike on duty in an ankle holster and a CRKT folder in my shirt pocket on duty. Off duty I carry a CRKT folder in a pants pocket. Years ago I saw a video and spoke to the State Trooper who had his cruiser run off the road and end up in a river his arm was broken and he had a pocket knife and was able to cut his seatbelt away and get out of the submerging car. So I use my knives as tools but I also train for almost 30 years now in the martial arts and we always train to use and defend against knives. Very enlightening what a trained skilled person can do with a knife.

I’m pretty sure everyone on this forum carries some type of firearm, but what about the EDC knife. If so, do you carry it for more less of a utility tool or to you have formal knife fighting training. Is your knife a folder or a fixed blade.
It depends on the season and where I'm going & what I'm doing, so my EDC varies.

It varies between fixed & folders, and sometimes both.

Last edited:
For urban carry. The cold steel "Black Talon" is my "stay away from me " knife. Serrated & razor sharp. I believe one cut on an arm.Even with a heavy coat. Will pretty much remove the arm, In the wilderness. The cold steel OSS comes in handy. Along with a few other tactical knives.

I must admit that after seeing some of you guys show pictures of your EDC smorgasbords, I haven't got the desire to carry that much shnitzel. 2 knives, 2 spare mags, 2 tactical lights, tactical pen tool (the thingamajig you use for stabbing and/or breaking a window), combined with my wallet, holster and pistol, second ankle-holster and backup pistol, cell phone, pen (a real one for writing), keys & fob, business card sleeve, pocket-size spiral notepad and miscellaneous jingling change makes my head spin. Does Duluth make EXTRA cargo pants? With leather suspenders for the extra 15 lbs of stuff? I already have enuf plumber-butt. Hearing my wife bitch when I bend over to grab a 12-pack of diet coke at the Piggly-Wiggly makes me think other women don't like that view any better....😲

Knife fighting.:unsure:

Okay, specialized training like Honorman is describing aside, anyone who believes they can be trained to win knife fights against other opponents armed with knives with any degree of reliability believes in a fairy tale.

I'm not taking about surprising a guard from behind, I'm talking about squaring off with a bad guy armed with a knife in any other realistic situation anyone here on this board could find themselves in. I'm also not talking about training to minimize damage. Because I don't care what SPECOPS group you trained with, there WILL be damage and it very well could be fatal regardless of your training.

Of course we have had this discussion here before and you really don't have to take my word for it.

As far as EDC, I have multiple and what I am carrying depends on what I am doing and what job I expect my knife to be doing.

20220621_135504.jpg

One of these three is my usual EDC. The one on the bottom more often than not.

I've not ever been in a situation where a knife would have worked better than OC.

For urban carry. The cold steel "Black Talon" is my "stay away from me " knife. Serrated & razor sharp. I believe one cut on an arm.Even with a heavy coat. Will pretty much remove the arm, In the wilderness. The cold steel OSS comes in handy. Along with a few other tactical knives.
I looked up that black talon and it is wicked. Yes it would definitely do the job!!!!!

Going to get this out of the way…..
4575C2BA-37B0-45AC-9124-36CEE8CA958B.jpeg

We all remember that movie.

Now I don’t carry a blade all the time but I do have two, one is a fixed and one is a folding. As @Bassbob mentioned I’d rather not get into a physical altercation so I rely on my situational awareness to avoid up close encounters.

FB_IMG_1668014299602.jpg

I bought one of these in the early '80s at a hardware store. Basic Western Cutlery hunting knife. My mother found it and threw it away. It wasn't even carrying it but she didn't think I should have it. If I didn't know how hard they were to find today and what it was worth I never would have let her do that

Back