testtest

The Facts About New York’s Ammunition Law

The author can't comprehend the actions of the northeastern legislatures because he is used to dealing with people who are basically honest. That is not the situation in NY, NJ, MD, MA, or several other blue states. Will is correct in saying that ammo purchase records are virtually useless for crime solving but that doesn't matter, utility is not the objective, harassment is. That said, I do know of one case, and only one case, where this info did help in solving the murder of a state trooper. Now, would we have developed that lead anyway? We probably would have but no one can say for sure. Are we justified in starting all that harassment again? Of course not! But we will do it anyway!

i can "see" the logging of ammo purchases to end up being used for taxes. either a brand new seperate ammo tax, or an increase in the current sales tax, for the ammo. current sales tax here is 7%.

this logging can also be used for tracking purposes, like the more we buy, the more dangerous we are to ourselves, neighbors, etc.

You don’t? I thought you had to go through a background check to buy ammo in California?
The existing gun, magazine, ammo, and feature bans in California have been shot down by SCOTUS. Article VI within the US Constitution does not permit States to supersede the Second Amendment. Article VI also does not permit legislation thats not in good standing with it: being Supreme Law. California regulations violate Article VI which consequently violates most of citizen's constitutional rights. Arms features, ammo, and magazines are all covered under the Second Amendment. Liability should also provide a constitutional exemption for firearms manufacturers: due to providing access to a Second Amendment right. The liability would fall on the individual citizen for their actions. So we can see California and a number of states are in violation of Article VI. The SCOTUS needs to solidify and affirm these truths and strike down unreasonable regulations in all states not in good standing. SCOTUS already struck down mag and feature bans, supported access to ammo, and the arms themselves. SCOTUS also solidified that central registries in relation to arms is unconstitutional. I really do not understand why certain states are trampling the US Constitution? Maybe they should petition to be separated from the USA?

Connecticut did this same thing years ago. From what my ex-wife tells me is near impossible to get enough ammunition to train let alone have for anything else and she works for the local police department.

Here in Kalifornia, 'instant' background checks on EVERY ammo purchase has resulted in:

- Fewer places sell ammo because of the additional overhead (computers, time, people).
- Those who do sell ammo and have ammo to sell that you want, have long lines waiting for the very few persons allocated to 'selling ammo' (doing checks/paperwork).
- This is usually the larger stores because the smaller ones won't be bothered. Two local 'sporting goods stores' stopped selling when the checks went into effect.
- This is extremely worse because of limited ammo supplies.
- This in turn forces people to buy as much ammo as they can in one shot... if you're going to stand in line, might was well.
- This in turn forces sellers to do one of two things:
- put limits on amount per customer per visit
- or sell bulk only

It's clearly designed to make it miserable and it's only pissing people off and having unintended consequences.

Last edited:
You show your drivers license the whole process takes 1 min or 2
Where Jav? The minimum time I've seen in the best places is 15 minutes to complete a minimal transaction in CA. In places who actually have ammunition selection, lines are so long, and limited number of 'checkers' results in 45 min wait in line THEN 10-15 min for the paperwork. Hell it takes 5 minutes for them to scan your license, ask their 'where you born' questions, and wait for the approval. This is AFTER you get their attention, and IF you get someone who actually has a pulse, your license scans, and the approval goes through without glitch due to mis-typed names. Then print a form for every type of ammo purchased, and they sign, then you sign a separate form for every type.

Last edited:
Here in Kalifornia, 'instant' background checks on EVERY ammo purchase has resulted in:

- Fewer places sell ammo because of the additional overhead (computers, time, people).
- Those who do sell ammo have long lines waiting for the very few persons allocated to 'selling ammo' (doing checks/paperwork).
- This is is extremely worse because of limited ammo supplies.
- This in turn forces people to buy as much ammo as they can in one shot... if you're going to stand in line, might was well.
- This in turn forces sellers to do one of two things:
- put limits on amount per customer per visit
- or sell bulk only

It's clearly designed to make it miserable and it's only pissing people off and having unintended consequences.
My suggestion would be to get out of California and find some place in America to live.

The article failed to mention that currently the ammo background check law will not go in to effect until September 1st, 2023 as per the NY State website. https://gunsafety.ny.gov/ammunition-registration

Is there any background check now required for purchasers of ammunition?

Not yet. The law provides that background check requirements imposed on all retail sellers of ammunition are scheduled to take effect on September 13, 2023.

They actually passed this requirement with Cuomo's "Safe Act" in 2013, but it was never implemented because of how it was written it required the State Police to develop their own background check system and this wasn't possible for them to do without significant funding. However I believe that the way the new law is written that this will take effect this time because it requires stores that sell ammo to register with the State Police and use a standard NICs background check.

The only sliver of good news is that if the Republican Candidate for Governor, Lee Zeldin is elected, (A+ NRA grade), he could put a stop to this. But it won't be easy for him to win in a state that is overwhelmingly registered as Democrats.

I wish the article would have directly motivated people to get and vote in order to hopefully prevent any further 2nd Amendment infringements in New York.

Where Jav? The minimum time I've seen in the best places is 15 minutes to complete a minimal transaction in CA. In places who actually have ammunition selection, lines are so long, and limited number of 'checkers' results in 45 min wait in line THEN 10-15 min for the paperwork. Hell it takes 5 minutes for them to scan your license, ask their 'where you born' questions, and wait for the approval. This is AFTER you get their attention, and IF you get someone who actually has a pulse, your license scans, and the approval goes through without glitch due to mis-typed names. Then print a form for every type of ammo purchased, and they sign, then you sign a separate form for every type.
Where do you buy your ammo I am a big bass pro guy 2 min tops unless you are a bad guy come on they ask you two questions where you born and phone number that it you done

My suggestion would be to get out of California and find some place in America to live.
Keystone, younz in PA? Thats where I came from. May be comin back soon. But if younz catch the Newyawk, may be the same there purdy soon. BTW, I'm from da Igglz side too.

Last edited:
Where do you buy your ammo I am a big bass pro guy 2 min tops unless you are a bad guy come on they ask you two questions where you born and phone number that it you done
This falderah I explained is at Sportsm*n W*h*se

Keystone, younz in PA? Thats where I came from. May be comin back soon. But if younz catch the Newyawk, may be the same there purdy soon. BTW, I'm from da Igglz side too.
This is what you need to do order on line pay it and pick up free in store sportsman warehouse or bass pro . I have better luck with bass pro the lines are not long I am retired so I go in the morning week only

I live in ohio friend from chicago came down and absolutely could not believe he could buy 1000s of rounds without i d or any type of form. I look at him shook my head and said politely u need to move out of that state

Back