testtest

The first of many reloading questions….

michael.ed

Master Class
Founding Member
I’m starting to get the stuff for my Dillon 550. I saw some die’s on sale at Midway. You can get either a 3 die set or a 4 die set. Which do you suggest? Here are the links to both products I am interested in.

Thanks in advance!

Michael, I've been reloading since the early 70's. I started out with "Lee" tools and equipment, sometimes against friends better advice, and never have regretted it. "Lee" makes great tools at extremely inexpensive costs. I see you've already learned the "Lee" dies will work in your "Dillon" press, but you will find some things you'll need are "Dillon" proprietary, excellent equipment (and expensive). But for now, 'dance with the one ya' brung' and you won't be sorry.

Now, for your original question .......... by all means get the 4 die set. They are exactly the same first 3 dies including the carbide sizer as the 3 die set, but they also include as the 4th die a "Lee" factory crimp die. It not only provides a much better crimp, but will do a roll crimp as well as a taper crimp. At the same time it's providing the crimp you need, it will resize the case through a carbide ring to ensure that every cartridge will fit your gun, regardless of whether it was fired first from your gun, or if you picked it up off the ground at the range.

The 3 die set does any/all crimping by use of the bullet seating die. It will do the job, but not nearly as satisfactorily as the factory crimp die. It can and sometimes will actually crush a case while crimping if for instance you're trying to roll crimp a case using a bullet without a cannelure. It will work 95% plus of the time, maybe more, but will occasionally ruin a case.

If you're loading for example 9mm or any cartridge that head spaces on the case mouth, it doesn't take a lot of deformation to the case mouth to run into head spacing problems especially if the bullet does have a cannelure groove on it. Yeh, it can be done but for the difference in cost of the 4 die set over the 3 die set, go with the 4. If you're loading something that head spaces on the rim like a 38spl or .357mag, then a roll crimp, which is what the 3 die set does, is perfectly fine as Snake45 indicates.

And as an extra, most folks, especially competition shooters believe the taper crimp leads to somewhat more consistent and accurate ammo than a roll crimp. That's something only a factory crimp die and/or a collet die can get you, but every shooter has to decide for themselves. I'm basing that last statement on the fact that way back when I was shooting a lot of competition (1980's and 90's), my wife and I together was shooting sometimes as much as 15-18 thousand rounds per year around the SE and without question I found much better accuracy over all when using a taper crimp made with a FCD.

Hope that answers your question, and I'll add one last little tip. Always clean your cases well before using any sizing die whether carbide or not. Dirty cases will eventually scratch the inside of your die and from then on it will scratch up your cases whenever you load, and sometimes will actually cause a case to stick ..... hard!!! You do not need to lubricate any pistol case when using a carbide sizing die, but they must be clean.

Hope this helps. (y)(y)(y)

I like the 4 method best and so much easier. Setting up the seating depth and the crimp in 1 can be a pain? When you change bullet weights and types you can keep the crimp the same and only change the depth.

Absolutely nothing wrong with any "Dillon" tools and/or dies and especially if you're going to be loading in big lots. They are more expensive than some others, and some folks are not aware that most brands of dies will interchange from one brand of press to another.

For someone just starting out, and likely no more than he will be loading, I just felt "Dillon" stuff was a bit of overkill and tried to educate him that the most expensive is not always the best or even required. (y)(y)(y)

Last edited:
Absolutely nothing wrong with any "Dillon" tools and/or dies and especially if you're going to be loading in big lots. They are more expensive than some others, and some folks are not aware that most brands of dies will interchange from one brand of press to another.

For someone just starting out, and likely no more than he will be loading, I just felt "Dillon" stuff was a bit of overkill and tried to educate him that the most expensive is always the best or even required. (y)(y)(y)
My 338lm dies are the only that doesn't fit the 7/8" hole. I think they are 1 1/8, so I bought a lee cast breech lock. That sucker is heavy!

Yeh buddy, that cast press is all 'cast' iron. but works really great on those big ol' cartridges. And yeh, I agree with you on hand priming. I do on occasion prime on the press, but far more often off the press. I think you're right about the size of the threads being 1 1/4".

Relative to the hand prime tools, don't know if you're aware but "Lee" has recently introduced a new version of their tried and true hand priming tool. It's a pretty impressive improvement in preventing any multiple primers from accidentally sympathetic detonating of other primers in the hopper. Can't recall the new name right off, but it's supposedly such an improvement in safety, they don't even sell the old model nor any repair parts for the old one. In fact they don't even recommend any further use of the older model. Just a friendly FYI.

Yeh buddy, that cast press is all 'cast' iron. but works really great on those big ol' cartridges. And yeh, I agree with you on hand priming. I do on occasion prime on the press, but far more often off the press. I think you're right about the size of the threads being 1 1/4".

Relative to the hand prime tools, don't know if you're aware but "Lee" has recently introduced a new version of their tried and true hand priming tool. It's a pretty impressive improvement in preventing any multiple primers from accidentally sympathetic detonating of other primers in the hopper. Can't recall the new name right off, but it's supposedly such an improvement in safety, they don't even sell the old model nor any repair parts for the old one. In fact they don't even recommend any further use of the older model. Just a friendly FYI.
I do have the lee hand prime w/shell holders for according cartridges. I got too where I don't use the prime stage on the dillon, just remove the decap rod and size.

Well, after taking time to think it over a little, actually I prime on the press most of my handgun loads. I'm currently using an old 3 hole turret press, recently upgraded to a 4 hole turret for when I'm experimenting with new loads, and a recently acquired Breech lock Pro 4000 when I'm loading a bunch of old 'stand by's'. But I'm not loading nearly as many rounds as I used to, primarily because it's so danged hard to find components and I'm not shooting nearly as much as I used to either.

If I'm experimenting with new loads, I typically hand prime off the press with the "Lee" Auto Prime hand prime tool. The old one was called the "Lee" Auto Prime and I know I've primed at least a million rounds with it. But now they've come out with one very similar but with better protection against sympathetic detonation of some particular primers. I'm thinking it was the Federal brand that maybe was at issue.

I've never had a sympathetic detonation of any brand (knock on wood), but I typically use CCI primers. However, I have recently bought the new version called the "Lee" Auto Prime XR. I can't say for certain how much better it is since I'm still a long way from a 'million' rounds with it, but my old one had been a reliable old tool for a lot of years so I just decided to update it anyway.

I've also had an old 'O' frame Challenger press for all my long gun stuff and always primed them with the Auto Prime tool. But those were primarily hunting loads and not nearly as many as the hand gun loads. Down side of that old press is having to change dies for each round. I generally do batch loading on this press because of the need to change dies, but no more than I'm shooting anymore it's not a big deal. I'm considering updating to the new Challenger Breech lock press that uses the "Lee" Quick Change bushings. I think it'd be pretty slick to not have to reset dies each time by only a twist of the wrist to remove and replace the bushing. The die always stays in adjustment. We'll see.

Anyway, just wanted to get straight regarding the priming. Since you also favor off press priming, you might want to take a look. (y) (y)(y)

Oh and as an add, I de-prime on the press when I resize. I never found a need or reason to remove the de-capping pin except to clean the die.

If you're not using the de-cap rod, how are you removing the old primer? We're never too old to learn new tricks .... huh?

Oh and as an add, I de-prime on the press when I resize. I never found a need or reason to remove the de-capping pin except to clean the die.

If you're not using the de-cap rod, how are you removing the old primer? We're never too old to learn new tricks .... huh?
I decap on a universal decap that use a cartridge specific shell holder. I do this before I clean cases.

I’m starting to get the stuff for my Dillon 550. I saw some die’s on sale at Midway. You can get either a 3 die set or a 4 die set. Which do you suggest? Here are the links to both products I am interested in.

Thanks in advance!
Don't Dillons come with dies? When I have looked at those they come set up for the caliber you bought. Check that out before you start buying other stuff.

Don't Dillons come with dies? When I have looked at those they come set up for the caliber you bought. Check that out before you start buying other stuff.
The one I got is the 550b, which does not come with dies. I went to the Dillon site and used their list of what all I needed. Dies was one of the items.

Most "Dillon" stuff is proprietary as is parts and adds for most of their presses. All good stuff, but higher cost and sometimes more complicated than most beginners would need to invest IMHO. Dies are almost universal in fit and usefulness and the 550 is one of the few "Dillon" presses that are a little more versatile. (y)(y)(y)

Back