testtest

The great boat lift of 9/11

BobM

Hellcat
A good heroic story of a rarely known event of the boat evacuation of many victims during World Trade Center 9/11 attack.
Was surprised in reading article. - Hadn't heard of the boat lift before. Thought it was a very good story of people getting together and helping each other during major tragedy.

Just finished watching "Come From Away" with the wifey on Apple TV+. Another touching story that redeems humanity on such a horrible day.

There's evil everywhere, but I'm often reminded that there's good people everywhere out there, too. Thanks for the reminder of another set of everyday heroes, @BobM .

I still lived in NYC on 9/11/01. I was walking down 6th Ave. when I saw the 2nd plane flying low over 5th Ave. just high enough to avoid the tops of the buildings. I didn't know what to think until I arrived at my destination where everyone was staring at a big screen TV in the lobby and I saw what was happening. I immediately thought about my best friend who owns a business near the Towers and called him to make sure he was okay. He was way ahead of me and already on his way to Port Authority Bus Terminal (walking through the smoke due to subway closed) to get home to his wife and kids in NJ. He didn't know that all bridges, tunnels, and railways had already been closed just like the subway. I told him he could stay with my wife and me but he was determined to go home and said he would walk over to the Hudson River to see if any of the ferries or water taxis were still running. He got on one (no charge) and called his wife to pick him up. It took her almost 3 hours for the 5 mile car trip to get to the dock where he got off the boat and they arrived home at about 11:00pm. I tried in vain to hail a taxi but wound up walking home (about 2 miles). I did stop in Times Square at the Army Recruiting Station and tried to enlist but when the recruiter asked my age I told him, he smiled and said I was too old! I told him, "I can still shoot, just give me a rifle and send me where those bastards are!" I lost a 2 friends that day (Port Authority PD), and one more years later who went down to help with the cleanup on his off duty hours (NYPD). The death toll is still ongoing. I, for one, will "Never Forget" along with most all Americans who give a damn about our country. Many young people today know little about it as it is not taught in many schools but "Defund The Police" and other baseless crap is. Sorry all, rant over, God Bless America! Great post Annihilator!

Edit to add last 3 sentences.

Last edited:
Sorry Bob! I mistakenly credited Annihilator for your post. It's 4:43am here and I've been up too long (8:00am)! I wanted to post about my best friend's ordeal but my brain is overloaded every 9/11. Most other days too according to my wife! :)

I still lived in NYC on 9/11/01. I was walking down 6th Ave. when I saw the 2nd plane flying low over 5th Ave. just high enough to avoid the tops of the buildings. I didn't know what to think until I arrived at my destination where everyone was staring at a big screen TV in the lobby and I saw what was happening. I immediately thought about my best friend who owns a business near the Towers and called him to make sure he was okay. He was way ahead of me and already on his way to Port Authority Bus Terminal (walking through the smoke due to subway closed) to get home to his wife and kids in NJ. He didn't know that all bridges, tunnels, and railways had already been closed just like the subway. I told him he could stay with my wife and me but he was determined to go home and said he would walk over to the Hudson River to see if any of the ferries or water taxis were still running. He got on one (no charge) and called his wife to pick him up. It took her almost 3 hours for the 5 mile car trip to get to the dock where he got off the boat and they arrived home at about 11:00pm. I tried in vain to hail a taxi but wound up walking home (about 2 miles). I did stop in Times Square at the Army Recruiting Station and tried to enlist but when the recruiter asked my age I told him, he smiled and said I was too old! I told him, "I can still shoot, just give me a rifle and send me where those bastards are!" I lost a 2 friends that day (Port Authority PD), and one more years later who went down to help with the cleanup on his off duty hours (NYPD). The death toll is still ongoing. I, for one, will "Never Forget" along with most all Americans who give a damn about our country. Many young people today know little about it as it is not taught in many schools but "Defund The Police" and other baseless crap is. Sorry all, rant over, God Bless America! Great post Annihilator!

Edit to add last 3 sentences.
Thanks Lock n' Load,
That's a memory you'll likely never forget of people known and experience there at the time.
Your personal account adds a lot to story.

Sorry Bob! I mistakenly credited Annihilator for your post. It's 4:43am here and I've been up too long (8:00am)! I wanted to post about my best friend's ordeal but my brain is overloaded every 9/11. Most other days too according to my wife! :)
Is ok on Anni confusion L n' L, stuff happens. No issue.
Long days help create many things? - Heard Martian adoption papers may be in the mail soon. - Am kidding. :)

Your comments and input above related to article was thought provoking and is irreplaceable. - Thanks for sharing your experience and personal touch, is very appreciated.

1631464407311.jpeg

Is ok on Anni confusion L n' L, stuff happens. No issue.
Long days help create many things? - Heard Martian adoption papers may be in the mail soon. - Am kidding. :)

Your comments and input above related to article was thought provoking and is irreplaceable. - Thanks for sharing your experience and personal touch, is very appreciated.
As for Martian adoption, I'll "Just Say No!" :)

A good heroic story of a rarely known event of the boat evacuation of many victims during World Trade Center 9/11 attack.
Was surprised in reading article. - Hadn't heard of the boat lift before. Thought it was a very good story of people getting together and helping each other during major tragedy.

Something I never knew about, thank you for sharing Bob. 😢

Something I never knew about, thank you for sharing Bob. 😢
Welcome Keystone,
After reading 20 years worth of news stories about many other things is hard to believe many people, including you and me and likely quite a few others, had not heard of the event. Am thinking it would've been better if more people had known a lot sooner. May have brightened many peoples moods and dispositions. Also reaffirms how good people can be when working together sometimes?

Back