testtest

The Guide to Ham Radio: Introduction & Frequently Asked Questions - Parts 1-5

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
Ham (aka “amateur radio”) refers to the collection of radio frequencies and bands that allow licensed individuals to transmit, receive, and communicate with others. It also refers to the transceivers. This is the hardware that operators use to broadcast and receive. Lastly, it refers to the user itself. Most amateur radio operators call themselves “Hams.”

The Guide to Ham Radio: Introduction & Frequently Asked Questions

the-ham-radio-guide-part-1-intro-and-faq-660x555.jpg

I did look at the mobile “hand held” version and put pulling the trigger on hold for now, still may try one in the future. Confused about power ratings and usability when traveling.
Licensed amateur here for going on 40 years. Be aware that most battery powered handhelds are limited to 5 watts although Technician class licensees are allowed up to 1500 watts depending on operating frequency, which requires an amplifier, an antenna that would handle it, and is way more power than you'd ever want or need. The mobile tri-band (2 meters, 70 cm, 6 meters) in my car (10, 20, or 50 watts) is rarely set to more than 10 watts depending on location. I'd use 5 watts around my home area if the mobile radio had that setting as that's enough to access the repeaters in my area. You can find more in depth info on ARRL's website. Here's the link: https://arrl.org

Caution! This hobby is expensive, addictive, and can drain your bank account faster than firearms! :)

Edit to add link.

Last edited:
Licensed amateur here for going on 40 years. Be aware that most battery powered handhelds are limited to 5 watts although Technician class licensees are allowed up to 1500 watts depending on operating frequency, which requires an amplifier, an antenna that would handle it, and is way more power than you'd ever want or need. The mobile tri-band (2 meters, 70 cm, 6 meters) in my car (10, 20, or 50 watts) is rarely set to more than 10 watts depending on location. I'd use 5 watts around my home area if the mobile radio had that setting as that's enough to access the repeaters in my area. You can find more in depth info on ARRL's website. Here's the link: https://arrl.org

Caution! This hobby is expensive, addictive, and can drain your bank account faster than firearms! :)

Edit to add link.
Very expensive and addictive, but a great hobby, most HF rigs can go into the thousands, where I live now I am kind of limited to a handheld, no outside antenna allowed, been looking for a good 2-meter indoor for my mobile radio.

Very expensive and addictive, but a great hobby, most HF rigs can go into the thousands, where I live now I am kind of limited to a handheld, no outside antenna allowed, been looking for a good 2-meter indoor for my mobile radio.
All very true but as with all hobbies, there are shortcuts. Hamfests are a great place to start. With the help of an experienced amateur, you can get a nice used rig covering 80-10 meters for around $500. A simple dipole antenna can top it off. Estate sales are another good source ham equipment. If you insist on new, you can get a Yaesu FT-991A that covers 160 meters through 70 cm for around $1300.

My first 2-meter base was a used Kenwood TS-711A all mode, got it from an estate sale, great radio, used it for years, but yea, hamfests are great, just like a gun show but for radio guys….lol. This is where the get my gear at, good prices and fast delivery

If you have an attic, you can probably put it up there but it will cost you some range but you don't want to have it on a lower floor due to RF exposure. I've also seen American Flagpole antennas which you might be able to get away with.

If you have an attic, you can probably put it up there but it will cost you some range but you don't want to have it on a lower floor due to RF exposure. I've also seen American Flagpole antennas which you might be able to get away with.
No attic here, and since we went this townhouse, no outside period.......I'll find something one day....hopefully

No attic here, and since we went this townhouse, no outside period.......I'll find something one day....hopefully
There are a ton of "apartment antennas" out there that you can buy or build. The higher up your apartment is the more options you have. As Lock n' Load said, you will lose some performance but it is better that nothing. Apartment dwelling Hams have it a little better than those of 50 years ago because most apartments provide TV by cable or internet thus reducing the chance of television interference (TVI) with your neighbors.

I've seen numerous types of stealth projects online. Maybe one of them will work for you. You might also get a 15" antenna for your handheld which could give you enough strength to hit a few more repeaters reliably. I have a 15" Diamond antenna for my handheld which lets me get to most of the local repeaters when inside or lounging on my patio. Sorry to hear about the restrictions.

Do you have any links I could visit?
Google 2 meter stealth antenna projects. The video that looks like a climbing vine is interesting but I would use the Comet window pass thru for even more stealth. As you'll see, this just looks like an ordinary plant. The title page on the video says 20 meter but you'll see he's hooked up to a 2 meter handheld. It's the first one on the list. Here's a link: antenna projects

Last edited:
Thanks, will check it out, appreciate it
Here's a direct link to the one I was talking about but I'd use the Comet CTC-50M window pass thru instead as it allows locking the window for more stealth:

Edit to add window pass thru

Last edited:
Here's a direct link to the one I was talking about but I'd use the Comet CTC-50M window pass thru instead as it allows locking the window for more stealth:

Edit to add window pass thru
Saw those, I just need an indoor 2-meter antenna, where we live I can’t have any outside or anything hanging out window. With my handheld I am limited to just one repeater and nobody talks on it, dead air 90% of the time

Saw those, I just need an indoor 2-meter antenna, where we live I can’t have any outside or anything hanging out window. With my handheld I am limited to just one repeater and nobody talks on it, dead air 90% of the time.

A 15" antenna for your handheld might get you enough gain to possibly hit some other nearby repeaters. I replaced the small factory dummy load rubber ducky on mine and it reaches out to about 7 miles from inside the house. Here's a link to the one I'm using and they make a 8" to 52" telescoping 2 meter RH205 for the hand held (BNC connection) as well: https://www.diamondantenna.net/rh77ca.html
Edit to add more info

Last edited:
A 15" antenna for your handheld might get you enough gain to possibly hit some other nearby repeaters. I replaced the small factory dummy load rubber ducky on mine and it reaches out to about 7 miles from inside the house. Here's a link to the one I'm using and they make a 8" to 52" telescoping 2 meter RH205 for the hand held (BNC connection) as well: https://www.diamondantenna.net/rh77ca.html
Edit to add more info
Cool, thanks, I can hit the one repeater, but it’s only 3 miles from me, only one I got that’s local, that’s why I want to set up my mobile with a indoor antenna of some kind.

Edit to add link.
Thanks for the added information, I did purchase two Baofeng UV-9G handheld units that right now are sitting on a shelf in my gun closet until I finish my winch project on my truck although when are truck projects ever complete right?
I also want to be legal and will be getting my GMRS license before using them.
As far as what I’ll be using them for is mainly when my lady and I go camping and cell coverage is limited.
I understand the cost of all hobbies and going down that rabbit hole was why I’ve spent the last two years researching this.

Back