testtest

THE JOYS OF BALLISTOL

Smelly article on Ballistol CLP, while I don’t use/ like it, it is a very effective product

Upset stomach, is that the product from Germany? Spray in your mouth

Good stuff and safer than a lot of other stuff. I use it regularly.

Also, its very good when used for black powder firearms. Due to its alkaline character, Ballistol is ideal for cleaning and maintaining black powder firearms. The residues from black powder in chambers and bores are acidic. Ballistol neutralizes and dissolves them. This eliminates the need for aggressive solvents. "Moose Milk" is Black Powder cleaner consisting of 25% Ballistol & 75% water.

Windex with Vinegar is also great for cleaning.

Another great black powder product is Butch's Bore Shine Black Powder.

Ballistol CLP is my go to product. All of my firearms get a once over before going back into the safe. The only time I don't use it is when I'm using a rifle to hunt with. That smell can make a morning at your deer blind very lonely. Talyn, as for BP, I use the time-honored 1:1:1 mix of Isopropyl Alcohol, Hydrogen Peroxide, and Murphy's Oil Soap for quick in-the - field cleaning. However, I always remove the barrel and use caution as Hydrogen Peroxide is not good for wooden stocks.

Last edited:
For any oils/solvents with a bad smell (the otherwise excellent Clenzoil comes to mind), when I buy a new container of it I open it just enough to air out and set it securely on the back porch for a few hours. Let the pent-up odor dissipate.
After that, it’s never as strong when i next use it. But if still a bit strong, just do it again…
( note: only on dry days, no humidity )

Personally, Ballistol is my go-to. Hasn’t failed me yet.

I guess that's why there's no Hoppe's No. 9 aftershave on the market!
1710526493328.jpeg

Hi,

If I used Ballistol or Hoppe's I would have to clean my guns outside. Mrs. BassCliff thinks everything stinks. Although Ballistol does seem very convenient I'll stick with my normal hooch. That way I don't have to build a gun shed. Then again... ;)

Is it a bad idea to use different cleaning products on your firearms, or should you use the same product all the time?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Back