testtest

The Judgement Free Guide to Empty Chamber Carry (and how to fix it)

I don't know what to think about his article. I've always carried an empty chamber when I carry concealed. I feel very comfortable with my weapon, I've been shooting for over 40 years, so it's not a confidence issue, I'm not sure what it is. In a life or death situation, it may be the difference between the two, I get that completely. I guess I'm relying on my situational awareness to give me that extra second I need to chamber a round. I have a toddler also who doesn't touch my handguns but just having him around makes me paranoid. I'm a firm believer in Murphy's Law even with complete confidence in my weapon and my capability to use it, but it's always in the back of mind, what if? I guess at the end of the day, I just don't want any more variables than are necessary between carrying concealed and an accidental discharge. I know, I know, the chances of that happening with modern striker fired handguns are remote, but the paranoia is still there.

I have always carried a round in the chamber, even at home theres a round in the chamber, no kids here, my brother leaves his empty, I guess you should do what ever you feel comfortable doing.
Exactly. I also have always carried with a round chambered and gun loaded at all times. No young children living with or visiting us.
All that being said you need to do what makes you comfortable at all times.

I don't know what to think about his article. I've always carried an empty chamber when I carry concealed. I feel very comfortable with my weapon, I've been shooting for over 40 years, so it's not a confidence issue, I'm not sure what it is. In a life or death situation, it may be the difference between the two, I get that completely. I guess I'm relying on my situational awareness to give me that extra second I need to chamber a round. I have a toddler also who doesn't touch my handguns but just having him around makes me paranoid. I'm a firm believer in Murphy's Law even with complete confidence in my weapon and my capability to use it, but it's always in the back of mind, what if? I guess at the end of the day, I just don't want any more variables than are necessary between carrying concealed and an accidental discharge. I know, I know, the chances of that happening with modern striker fired handguns are remote, but the paranoia is still there.
I hear you brother. Having a new grandchild made me rethink carrying with one in the chamber, and for a while I did just that. All the while I was thinking that this is not the way you train, so why now? Finally, I came to the realization that if something did happen I might revert to my training and forget the chamber was empty. That made me go back to my original carry method. Now and always I will be ready when the occasion arises. I am comforted that I carry a very safe firearm in the XD-S Mod.2 in 9mm.

Agreed, One needs to carry the way "THEY" feel most comfortable.

I hear you brother. Having a new grandchild made me rethink carrying with one in the chamber, and for a while I did just that. All the while I was thinking that this is not the way you train, so why now? Finally, I came to the realization that if something did happen I might revert to my training and forget the chamber was empty. That made me go back to my original carry method. Now and always I will be ready when the occasion arises. I am comforted that I carry a very safe firearm in the XD-S Mod.2 in 9mm.
That's a very nice firearm and I'm hoping to maybe get to that mentality eventually. An empty chamber doesn't do a helluva lot of good in the adrenaline fueled moment of a gun battle.

If you want to build faith/confidence, carry for a week with a dummy round chambered.

When you get home, point the gun in a safe direction and pull the trigger.

"Click", means it never fired accidentally during the day.

No click, and it indicates there would have been an A/D at some point during your day.

Also, I (a bachelor) have two locations for my gun. Ever.

1 - loaded, in my holster, on my hip
2 - loaded, in my holster, in my gun safe.

It never gets put down, it never gets left anywhere, it never goes anywhere other than those two places (except in the firing lane at the range, that is).

I have always carried a round in the chamber, even at home there‘s a round in the chamber, no kids here, my brother leaves his empty, I guess you should do what ever you feel comfortable doing.
You will be surprised how amazingly fast you can chamber a round drawing from a holster. I practice non stop.
I carry empty chamber.
i have a round chambered before the firearm is even up past my belly. as it clears the holster, my other hand already has the slide and its in motion
Now, in a scenario when the attacker is at arms length, i will be at a disadvantage, but I will get a round chambered and shoot him in the family jewels as the round is chambered 😉

You will be surprised how amazingly fast you can chamber a round drawing from a holster. I practice non stop.
I carry empty chamber.
i have a round chambered before the firearm is even up past my belly. as it clears the holster, my other hand already has the slide and its in motion
Now, in a scenario when the attacker is at arms length, i will be at a disadvantage, but I will get a round chambered and shoot him in the family jewels as the round is chambered 😉
Same here, I've practiced where I can chamber a round pretty quickly and I've also practiced being very stealthy about it. I know it still costs time, but it's minimal.

That's a very nice firearm and I'm hoping to maybe get to that mentality eventually. An empty chamber doesn't do a helluva lot of good in the adrenaline fueled moment of a gun battle.
Thanks. Only you can decide what's good for you based on your comfort level. I have a close family member that carries with an empty chamber and I fully support their decision to do so.

To be honest, I just can’t see why you would carry with an empty chamber, with today’s modern polymer guns it’s perfectly safe to carry a round in the chamber, but, like I stated earlier, you do what you feel comfortable doing, me I’m old school, cocked & locked.
1590018391043.gif

To be honest, I just can’t see why you would carry with an empty chamber, with today’s modern polymer guns it’s perfectly safe to carry a round in the chamber, but, like I stated earlier, you do what you feel comfortable doing, me I’m old school, cocked & locked.
I always carried my 1911 cocked & locked, but when I switched to a polymer it seemed less safe without a manual safety. It took a while to get used to.

Back