testtest

The Life and Legacy of Jeff Cooper

Excellent article. I couldn't find a single sentence to disagree with.

Of course, it only scratches the surface of Jeff Cooper's wisdom and skill. For example, he's not recognized enough just for being an exceptionally gifted writer and storyteller.

I've read bout everything he wrote at least once. He wrote a lot about home defense, and the importance of having a rifle and how it should be setup. I've remembered several key points including " A handguns main purpose is to give you time to get to your rifle". We were lucky to have lived in a time of several great men, and are smarter having done so.
Just my 2 cents. Thank You.

I agree about Col. Cooper and his influence and legacy. I was first exposed to his writings in the latter half of the 70s (76 -77). Just having got my first handgun and interested in a LEO career, I started applying his techniques and philosophy as much as I could being largely self trained. At that time, our local PD used the Municipal range I joined, and soon found myself shooting against LEOs in small competitions. They were a little upset that this snot nosed kid could shoot circles around most of them using Cooper's techniques. It did though form a bond with Officers I've remained good friends with for over 40 years.
Sadly, because of Affirmative Action, and the rampant Nepotism/Cronyism in the Civil Service Board, a career as a LEO was a dream unfulfilled in spite of Top Scores on the Testing. Thus I was very pleased when SCOTUS shut it down, even though it was much too late for me.
I wouldn't say others have changed Col. Cooper's techniques as much as modified and modernized them. Cooper was a devotee of the 1911, and at that time, our local PD allowed No Semi-Autos for duty. Locally, that wouldn't change until the early 90s. Cooper's Discipline though, could be applied to the Revolvers used at the time. I'm sure I'm not the only one who did such.
We owe a lot to Lt. Col Jeff Cooper. Much more than quote a few people realize or are aware of.

Thank you for a well written article. Definitely a Keeper.

I have been to Gunsite a number of times, first during a 3-day gun writers' familiarization weekend, and later for the basic 5-day Pistol course, plus several more writers'events. The level of instruction is without peer. I had been shooting since age 13, had competed on the post pistol team during my years in the Army, and was qualified as an NRA Instructor. Gunsite was a revelation, in terms of what I didn't know. It is a wonderful, exhausting, rewarding and eye-opening experience. I would, without reservation, recommend it for anyone at any level of experience who plans to carry a gun.

I have been to Gunsite a number of times, first during a 3-day gun writers' familiarization weekend, and later for the basic 5-day Pistol course, plus several more writers'events. The level of instruction is without peer. I had been shooting since age 13, had competed on the post pistol team during my years in the Army, and was qualified as an NRA Instructor. Gunsite was a revelation, in terms of what I didn't know. It is a wonderful, exhausting, rewarding and eye-opening experience. I would, without reservation, recommend it for anyone at any level of experience who plans to carry a gun.
Only problem is the spare 5 grand.

Yah, there's that. :oops:

Back in the late '80s, I tried to talk my gun-friendly boss (owner of the joint) into sending me to Gunsite, and going along himself. He was seriously considering it, but I couldn't quite get him to pull the trigger (pun intended).

I ended up going to Mas Ayoob's LFI, which was only about 4 states away (driveable), on my own dime. Even with all the collateral expenses (hotel, gas, meals, etc.) for myself and The Lovely Mrs. Snake, it was easily the best money I've ever spent.

I would have loved to have gone, still would. But unfortunately, I've never been in the financial position to go. Story of
Yep. Even when I was working and had a decent income, it was beyond my reach.

I would have loved to have gone, still would. But unfortunately, I've never been in the financial position to go. Story of

I’m sure it’s amazing and I’m sure Mas Ayoob’s stuff is great too. I’m not sure it’s worth what they charge, but I suppose it’s a matter of priorities. Those classes are clearly for people who make their living in armed security and/or people with a whole lot of expendable income. Kind of a shame they aren’t more committed to regular peons like us, but hey, we have other options. I found and befriended an instructor who has 40-ish years of experience as an instructor for both the Marine Corps and law enforcement and so far it’s worked out real well for me. I’ve probably spent 5 grand but that encompasses more hours of training than I can count. My instructor has taken courses at Gunsite or maybe whatever it used to be called before that too so I may be getting some trickle down mojo. 😊

Where did the "5 grand" figure come from? The basic Defensive Pistol course, which everyone takes, is $1,900 and change. Granted, that's not cheap, but what's your life and wellbeing worth?

Where did the "5 grand" figure come from? The basic Defensive Pistol course, which everyone takes, is $1,900 and change. Granted, that's not cheap, but what's your life and wellbeing worth?
Yeah, I'm not sure where the $5k is coming from. A full day of training with a decent instructor these days will run $300-$500 or more. A 5-day class at Gunsite is $1900, so pricing is inline with the industry norm, on a per-day basis.

I'm headed there for the Revolver Roundup this Fall.

Week off work, 2 grand
Hotel, food, airfare, ammo, class fee. That’s at least 5 grand.

What’s my life worth is a total BS comparison. My life is not in jeopardy because I don’t attend a basic pistol class at Gunsite. I have hundreds of hours of training and while I would love the opportunity to take a class at Gunsite I think it’s highly likely I have already surpassed the skill level of their basic pistol class. Certainly taking their class is not paramount to my being able to protect myself at any rate.

If I went it would definitely be a shotgun class.

Yeah, I'm not sure where the $5k is coming from. A full day of training with a decent instructor these days will run $300-$500 or more. A 5-day class at Gunsite is $1900, so pricing is inline with the industry norm, on a per-day basis.

I'm headed there for the Revolver Roundup this Fall.
Not going to address your estimation of what a training class costs or what your idea of a decent instructor is other than to say you’re wrong.

When you go to a football game or a hockey game or a concert do you only count the price of your ticket as an expense ? The rest is just magically funded ?

Not going to address your estimation of what a training class costs or what your idea of a decent instructor is other than to say you’re wrong.

When you go to a football game or a hockey game or a concert do you only count the price of your ticket as an expense ? The rest is just magically funded ?

With all due respect, Bob - wrong about what, exactly? The average price of a day of training? Then please enlighten me. I'd be curious whether I've been paying too much or too little. Do you consider Ernest Langdon a "decent" instructor? Bill Rapier?

As for your "football game" analogy, I'm obviously not addressing additional costs like travel, ammo, lodging, etc. - I thought that was pretty obvious. Those costs will vary quite a bit - I have no idea where you live or how far you have to travel, or whether you like Subway or Filet Mignon. I was merely talking about the actual cost of the course itself.

If you think that's so wildly inaccurate, I'm all ears. And I'm still curious where the "$5k" quote came from. Even if you're doing a $1900/week at Gunsite, you're suggesting you'd spend $3k on everything else?!?

Last edited:
With all due respect, Bob - wrong about what, exactly? The average price of a day of training? Then please enlighten me. I'd be curious whether I've been paying too much or too little. Do you consider Ernest Langdon a "decent" instructor? Bill Rapier?

As for your "football game" analogy, I'm obviously not addressing additional costs like travel, ammo, lodging, etc. - I thought that was pretty obvious. Those costs will vary quite a bit - I have no idea where you live or how far you have to travel, or whether you like Subway or Filet Mignon. I was merely talking about the actual cost of the course itself.

If you think that's so wildly inaccurate, I'm all ears. And I'm still curious where the "$5k" quote came from. Even if you're doing a $1900/week at Gunsite, you're suggesting you'd spend $3k on everything else?!?
I broke down what it would cost me to go. 2 grand minimum in lost wages alone brother. You guys are the ones questioning me here not the other way around. So 2k in lost wages, an airplane ticket round trip from STL to wherever Gunsite is, the 2k for the class, plus food, lodging, car rental and gas. So as I said, for me to take a week long class at Gunsite it would cost me about 5K. Not sure why you think I would lie.

As for the training classes yeah, those guys are great. Also expensive and again nowhere near me. The guy I train with was good enough to be an instructor for the marine corps and the St. Louis County police dept. for a total of 40 years, is a retired combat marine and teaches all the same stuff those guys do. Last class I took was $140.

I broke down what it would cost me to go. 2 grand minimum in lost wages alone brother. You guys are the ones questioning me here not the other way around. So 2k in lost wages, an airplane ticket round trip from STL to wherever Gunsite is, the 2k for the class, plus food, lodging, car rental and gas.

I think this is just a case of miscommunication, Bob. We are talking about different things. As I said above, I was only quoting the cost of the class itself. I couldn't possibly take into account what someone else's other related costs might be. All good.

I think this is just a case of miscommunication, Bob. We are talking about different things. As I said above, I was only quoting the cost of the class itself. I couldn't possibly take into account what someone else's other related costs might be. All good.
I understand that. But again, I didn’t question you about anything. You guys questioned me when I said I didn’t have the spare 5 grand.

Back