testtest

The Long and the Short of It: Ronin vs. EMP

Interesting article/video that features one of my wish-list guns - the Ronin. However, the Ronin I am eyeing comes in .45 ACP. While I'm sure the 9mm version has its benefits, I've got plenty of 9mm pistols and the allure of the 1911 (in my eyes) is strengthened by the idea of it being chambered in "the Lord's caliber." 🙏

I've shot one 1911 in my life and that was a Springfield A1 at a local range last year. Based on that positive experience (with a dirty range gun), I am really looking forward to welcoming a .45 ACP Ronin into my growing Springfield collection.

Cue the angelic chorus... 🙌

Interesting article/video that features one of my wish-list guns - the Ronin. However, the Ronin I am eyeing comes in .45 ACP. While I'm sure the 9mm version has its benefits, I've got plenty of 9mm pistols and the allure of the 1911 (in my eyes) is strengthened by the idea of it being chambered in "the Lord's caliber." 🙏

I've shot one 1911 in my life and that was a Springfield A1 at a local range last year. Based on that positive experience (with a dirty range gun), I am really looking forward to welcoming a .45 ACP Ronin into my growing Springfield collection.

Cue the angelic chorus... 🙌
I recently bought the ronin 45 caliber and haven't had the chance to shoot it yet.

I'd love to hear your experience when you have a chance to run it.
Since you have a new Ronin, I have some questions for you. I just picked up mine. The pistol is not clean. I am guessing they don't clean the pistol after test firing, but I'd like to know about yours. Also, the underside of the slide where it passes over the hammer in cycling has a three digit number sloppily engraved. Does your pistol have something like this? My Ronin is not equipped with the ILS. I noticed that when I looked for the key and couldn't find it. I don't mind not having the lock, in fact I'd rather not have it. Does yours have it? I plan to take mine out to shoot tomorrow, so I'll let you know how that turns out.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Since you have a new Ronin, I have some questions for you. I just picked up mine. The pistol is not clean. I am guessing they don't clean the pistol after test firing, but I'd like to know about yours. Also, the underside of the slide where it passes over the hammer in cycling has a three digit number sloppily engraved. Does your pistol have something like this? I plan to take mine out to shoot tomorrow, so I'll let you know how that turns out.

Thanks.
Typically they don’t clean after test firing, I was told the reason they don’t clean them is, this shows proof your gun was actually test fired, as for the numbers, my Springfield RO Operator has numbers in the same area, normal.

I had an EMP 4" then purchased the EMP CCC (great gun) and have been very pleased. I will carry my CCC on the days when a long sleeve or jacket work in S Texas but carry a baby plastic on my usual shorts/T-shirt day. I also shoot the CCC frequently at the range and never had a serious issue. While I am fond of the .45acp round a 1911 chambered in 9mm is pure glass.

Typically they don’t clean after test firing, I was told the reason they don’t clean them is, this shows proof your gun was actually test fired, as for the numbers, my Springfield RO Operator has numbers in the same area, normal.
I got out today for the break in of the pistol. First I should mention that I like the included magazine. It's smoother to load than the Kimber and Colt magazines I took along. I fired about 80 rounds, 60 were CCI Blazer 230Gr FMJ, and about 20 Remington High Velocity 185Gr JHP. While firing the Remington rounds I had two instances where the slide failed to return fully to battery by about 1/8 inch. I did notice in cleaning and reassembly that the rails on the slide and frame were not smooth. More use should deal with that issue, or I'll polish the rails. The pistol is accurate for a production 1911. It shoots about two inches left at 10 yards. I'll correct that the next time I take it out. Over all I like the pistol; it's a keeper. I hope I can find one in 10mm for a reasonable price.

Where are you finding either the EMP or the Ronin? I am unable to find one locally.
I was coming off an off road trip into Enterprise Utah and spied a local hardware store. I went in just because I like hardware stores, and the rural ones have more interesting things. There sat the Ronin in a small display case. The employee told me it had just come in, and I bought it.

I was coming off an off road trip into Enterprise Utah and spied a local hardware store. I went in just because I like hardware stores, and the rural ones have more interesting things. There sat the Ronin in a small display case. The employee told me it had just come in, and I bought it.
Isn't too surprising anymore. Shopping online may or may not be easier in some ways, but a "bird" in the hand....
For example, had been looking for a specific Wheeler screwdriver set. Many online sources seem to be out of stock or way overpriced, even the mfg. was out of stock and more expensive than many places. Stopped at a fairly local hardware store by chance on the way to somewhere else and there sat the same exact screwdriver set was looking for at less than advertised online prices seen. No shipping wait or S&H fee either. Made the day!

Nice review but I have yet to see the difference of the grip circumference and frobt to back. Those are the measure ments I want to see.
I haven't shot an EMP but I did get to handle one a while back. A 1911 is just about as big as it can be and still fit my hand, and even then I strongly prefer a flat mainspring housing. The smaller grip of the EMP felt a LOT better in my hand--in fact, it felt great. (I was interested in .45 GAP at the time, but that cartridge seems to be pretty much dead.)

Against that, of course, you have to weigh the need for all the nonstandard/proprietary parts that the smaller frame requires. I'm a big fan of standardization and commonality of parts.

Back