testtest

The newest addition… Mini-14

mikep

Professional
9E6830D7-CEC6-4EF8-A7C7-6B8BB03063E2.jpeg

A few months ago I picked up a used Mini-14 for not too much money ($435). I got it as a plinker and something to tinker around with…. It had a pencil barrel that i put a strut on and i was going to play around with the gas bushings etc… Well, second day out with it it blew up using some reman ammo (no more reman for me). Nobody was hurt, which was priority #1, but the mini was a goner.
The ammo company ponied up the money for a replacement Mini-14 that Ruger provided at a discount (close to 40% off msrp). After a few months of emails, phone calls and shipping guns back and forth i got a brand new Mini-14.
I put a TRS-25 on it (the irons are not so great) and will shoot it tomorrow. Not sure if i want to upgrade the iron sights, stick with a red dot or put scope on it.
I’m pretty excited. My other rifles are .22’s. ARs don’t do it for me and the classic look and action of the mini were appealing to me. So we’ll see how it shoots tomorrow.

I had a SS Ranch rifle once that I foolishly sold. I hope you hold on to yours. The newer ones are suppose to be more accurate than the older ones. Looking forward to a range report.
I read a lot about the improvements but the mini seems to be unable to shake the stigma. We’ll see how it goes. I am aware that it won’t be a tack driver but i’m okay with that.

I’m diggin’ the Mini-14. I put about 100 rounds total of Hornady 55 grain and Freedom Munitions 62 grain .223 range ammo. Nothing special. It ran great without a hiccup.
The target below is from the end of my session. All shots were fired off-hand in 5-rounds groups onto a 12x18 BP IPSC practice target. The circled group was at 25 yds. The remaining 15 were shot at 40 yds. All groups can be covered by my hand and all but 4 are outside of the “a” box and i’m happy with that. Sharpie pen is for scale.
It is not a tack driver even from a bench but i have my .22 target rifles for that kind if shooting.
Overall i’m happy and with practice i will tighten these groups up. This is a plinker/zombie gun (if needed) and will be shot off hand. Damn, it was fun to shoot.
Have a great weekend.

819DF9D8-D9B8-49FE-8E54-FAF4C1283B83.jpeg

Ruger says precision rifling makes it extremely accurate. I assume this is 5.56 not 300BLK ?

I think I'd put a scope on it, but not the one you have on it. Spend $150 and get a Vortex or something decent.

Ruger says precision rifling makes it extremely accurate. I assume this is 5.56 not 300BLK ?

I think I'd put a scope on it, but not the one you have on it. Spend $150 and get a Vortex or something decent.
This is chambered in 5.56. I’ve been shooting .223 though, since that is what i had.
I read somewhere Ruger claims 2 MOA accuracy from the new Mini-14 models. I didn’t read that from a Ruger sponsored publication so that may be BS.
But whatever it is, with time I can tighten that group up even with the mystery scope i have on it. Although, an inexpensive Vortex or more current scope may be in cards. The trigger is still pretty stiff but certainly serviceable. I could also mess around with smaller diameter gas bushings, which seems to help for some people.
But i’m not sure i really need to do all that. I got it as range gun to poke holes in paper for the most part, and to have something with more oomf than a .22lr rifle, “just in case the invading hordes of zombies” come to town.

Back