testtest

The Rimfire Report: The 3 Best 22LR Pocket Concealed Carry Options

Great article. I love plinking with 22 lr. I would consider carrying any of these guns in the right circumstance, but I hesitate because all three of these guns are offered in more effective calibers. I own an LCP II in 22 lr for practice (.380 acp is impossible to find in my area), but I pocket carry the LCP II in .380 acp. I love the 43c j-frame, but purchased the 351c in 22 Mag for jacket pocket carry (you could say the same for the 38 Special and 357 Mag options). Due to the fact that I can still find ammo for it on shelves, I've been flirting with the idea of picking up a Bobcat in .32 acp. I like all of these guns, but I just can't find a reason for me to carry them over the larger-caliber options.

Good article! I notice the .22 is getting a lot of attention these days. I wonder if the ammo shortage might have something to do with it.🙂

I picked up the LCP II 22LR the other day. Boy, compared to 9mm the ammo is cheap! However, for those of you like me, new to 22LR a few caveats (the funny thing is from about 10 years old until I left home at 17 I had a 22 pistol, 22 bolt action rifle and a 22 over 410). Things have changed in the world of 22LR in the last 50+ years. There are a confusing array of bullets all in 22 cal. They all don't work in a pistol designed for 22LR. There are various bullet weights and stated velocities. So far I have tested the following ammunition:
1. CCI Stinger 32Gr 1640fps - This works very well with no issues (jams, failure to feed, failure to eject, etc.) to date
2. CCI Std Velocity 40 Gr 1070fps - This works very well with no issues (jams, failure to feed, failure to eject, etc.) to date
3. CCI Copper-22 (Meateater) 21Gr 1850 fps - This ammo does not work well. It consistently jams, fails to feed, fails to eject, etc.). Don't waste your money. The gun doesn't like it.
4. Remington 22 Golden Bullet 40Gr 1255 fps - This ammo frequently fails to fully feed and requires pulling back the slide and letting it go to push the cartridge all the way in. I also had at least one failure to ignite/light primer strike.

Friday I will receive the following 22LR to test:
1. CCI MiniMag 40Gr 1255fps
2. Federal Gold Medal Target 40Gr
3 Federal GameShock Hoolow Point 31Gr

I will update this once I have a chance to test.

Get a box of CCI mini mag 36 gr. HP to try. No they won't open in that short BBL. , and niether will any other .22 HP but they shoot straight and I have never had an issue with them.

I picked up the LCP II 22LR the other day. Boy, compared to 9mm the ammo is cheap! However, for those of you like me, new to 22LR a few caveats (the funny thing is from about 10 years old until I left home at 17 I had a 22 pistol, 22 bolt action rifle and a 22 over 410). Things have changed in the world of 22LR in the last 50+ years. There are a confusing array of bullets all in 22 cal. They all don't work in a pistol designed for 22LR. There are various bullet weights and stated velocities. So far I have tested the following ammunition:
1. CCI Stinger 32Gr 1640fps - This works very well with no issues (jams, failure to feed, failure to eject, etc.) to date
2. CCI Std Velocity 40 Gr 1070fps - This works very well with no issues (jams, failure to feed, failure to eject, etc.) to date
3. CCI Copper-22 (Meateater) 21Gr 1850 fps - This ammo does not work well. It consistently jams, fails to feed, fails to eject, etc.). Don't waste your money. The gun doesn't like it.
4. Remington 22 Golden Bullet 40Gr 1255 fps - This ammo frequently fails to fully feed and requires pulling back the slide and letting it go to push the cartridge all the way in. I also had at least one failure to ignite/light primer strike.

Hey BarJohn - how do you like the LCP? I been thinking about getting one of those or the Glock 44 given 22LR is so much cheaper and I have been finding bricks for cheap.

I really like this little gun. So easy to conceal in a pocket holster and weighs nothing. 12oz loaded. It is quite accurate. I painted the front sight white which helps however, I would love to have a night front sight. I wish the factory offered it as an option even for more $$.

With standard velocity CCI there is almost no recoil. However, I find standard velocity CCI is not as accurate. The CCI Stinger ammo is very accurate. It has a little more recoil but nothing compared to a 9mm.

I tried the Crimson Trace Green laser with it today and I decided to send it back. The reason being, that the way the on-off switch is on the grip just doesn't work very well. First, I could not get it to stay on without a death grip and even then it would not stay steady on. Gripping the gun that tightly makes me less accurate and it requires too much concentration to get the laser working thus slowing down target acquisition and delivering poor results. Certainly not like a red dot and how it enhances accuracy. They need a better switch system. I don't want to have to fight my gun to get the sights to light up. It is too bad as it is small and compact and nice in every other way.

I really like this little gun. So easy to conceal in a pocket holster and weighs nothing. 12oz loaded. It is quite accurate. I painted the front sight white which helps however, I would love to have a night front sight. I wish the factory offered it as an option even for more $$.

With standard velocity CCI there is almost no recoil. However, I find standard velocity CCI is not as accurate. The CCI Stinger ammo is very accurate. It has a little more recoil but nothing compared to a 9mm.

I tried the Crimson Trace Green laser with it today and I decided to send it back. The reason being, that the way the on-off switch is on the grip just doesn't work very well. First, I could not get it to stay on without a death grip and even then it would not stay steady on. Gripping the gun that tightly makes me less accurate and it requires too much concentration to get the laser working thus slowing down target acquisition and delivering poor results. Certainly not like a red dot and how it enhances accuracy. They need a better switch system. I don't want to have to fight my gun to get the sights to light up. It is too bad as it is small and compact and nice in every other way.

Good to hear. I am going to go shoot it at the range soon. I was able to find a few bricks the other day at my LGS and figured what the heck.

Thank you for the feedback. Always good to hear real world thoughts on this stuff. i think my phone is heavier than 12 oz...

I don't have tight groups down yet but that is because I have been spoiled with red dot sights and the sights on the LCP II 22LR are just not that good. Added to that is my lack of experience using iron sights and I am not sure what the proper sight picture should be with this gun.

I don't have an LCP, but I do have a Ruger SR22. So much fun to shoot, but don't run the cheap ammo through them, like any rimfire they will miss fire from time to time. I'll shoot cheaper ammo like Golden bullets just for fun and eject miss fire without a problem, for all other times it stays loaded with Stingers.

I have taken my LCP II 22LR to the range/land several times, and am anxious to hear your results for other ammo. Mine runs well with the CCI Mini Mag 40 gr and Federal American Eagle 38 gr. CPHP. It runs fairly well with Winchester White Box CPHP and Remington Thunderbolt, but had a few failures to feed with each. It absolutely hates Federal Auto Match 40 gr. Bulk ammo.

Back