testtest

The S&W 686 Plus .357 Magnum: Still Relevant?

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
Smith & Wesson introduced their Model 686 in 1981 and billed it as the Distinguished Combat Magnum, and introduced the 7-shot "Plus" model in 1996.

The S&W 686 Plus .357 Magnum: Still Relevant?

1657502059044.png

Yes. I will say (as someone that started in LE with a Revolver and still like them).

Revolvers will always be relevant for self defense. In real civilian scenarios are not Hohn Wick scenes.

As for the 7 shot the only thing that kept me from getting the 686 plus was I have a bazillion Safariland Speedloaders for my 6 shot 686 and find moon clips with 38/357 are bit as stable as my 45 acp 625. Seems brass has to be just right for the 38/357 moons.

I've been wanting a 686 Plus for a while. If anyone owns one, and thinks it has become irrelevant, I'll happily make them an offer.
well, i got mine over a year ago, and even though i do shoot 357 from time to time, i'd rather shoot 38 specials, as that caliber is more easier on my hands.

but i cannot see any reason to sell mine. as for any "relevancy" to owning one?

i say why not? i say own as many revolvers as you want.

do we really need one of our guns to have any relevancy just to be in our collection(s) of range guns, safe queens or self defensive guns..??

it may not become a high dollar collectable revolver, but it sure do look purtty.......

so @wmg1299 sorry that i cannot sell you mine, or that you cannot find one, but someday, one will come along, and you'll be the first one to see it and buy it on the spot.

mine in 6" barrel

1657533098411.png

1657533144444.png

Yes. I will say (as someone that started in LE with a Revolver and still like them).

Revolvers will always be relevant for self defense. In real civilian scenarios are not Hohn Wick scenes.

As for the 7 shot the only thing that kept me from getting the 686 plus was I have a bazillion Safariland Speedloaders for my 6 shot 686 and find moon clips with 38/357 are bit as stable as my 45 acp 625. Seems brass has to be just right for the 38/357 moons.
Same here. I have a bucket full of 6 round speedloaders and a bunch of 6 shot S&W revolvers. When the plus 1 came out I felt it was a gimmick, what's the point? But it is a fine revolver, 6 or 7 rounds

Weird thing on these, my gunsmith who at one time was a S&W warranty repair station when S&W still had them, anyway he told me this model was the most likely one to be returned for warranty work due to being out of time more then other models he worked on.

Last edited:
My 2.75” 686+ is an absolute tack-driver with 125gr loads; it’s almost stupid easy to ring 6” gongs at 50 yards with it, and I’ve gone 4/7 at 100 yards on a 2/3 silhouette with it.

It’s a keeper, and a frequent carry companion in a Miami Classic shoulder holster on long drives.

Back