testtest

The Threat You Missed — Are You Prepared?

new gun owners who may or may not have sought training. Some have even argued it should be mandatory.
I struggle with this. I definitely want everyone to have some instruction and training. I did not object to required training for CCW. I will keep my CCW even though it may no longer be required.

I struggle with this. I definitely want everyone to have some instruction and training. I did not object to required training for CCW. I will keep my CCW even though it may no longer be required.
I surely recommend everyone gets themselves trained. I don’t however think giving the government another way to infringe on people’s 2A rights is a good idea. If you ask me the 1st amendment is as dangerous as the second and no one is requiring training to exercise that one.

What I’ve concluded is, if someone is going to own a gun and/or carry a gun, they would be foolish not to get the proper training in using the gun and be familiar with the laws surrounding gun ownership/carry where they live. I just don’t think it should be mandatory. That’s especially true with Constitutional Carry. However, if one wants a CCW, then they will have to abide with the rules to get one, which includes training.

I, myself, got training for a CCWin Wyoming, where I live, now, as well as in Massachusetts where I lived for a year. Both trainings were beneficial, to the point that I decided not to have a gun there, nor get a CCW, because I’d have to give away my first norm’s first born to get that CCW. And since I was only gonna be there for a year, my time and energy wasn’t worth the effort.

Hi,

Just for grins and giggles, here's another article along the same lines, "Warding Off An Intruder". It's got a lot of common sense reminders when dealing with a suspected intruder, use a stern voice, get training so you will be effective, don't hesitate, follow through, but don't pursue if the intruder flees, etc.

Thanks for the discussion guys!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Hi,

Just for grins and giggles, here's another article along the same lines, "Warding Off An Intruder". It's got a lot of common sense reminders when dealing with a suspected intruder, use a stern voice, get training so you will be effective, don't hesitate, follow through, but don't pursue if the intruder flees, etc.

BassCliff
I firmly believe that when I was faced with either being robbed or had my truck stolen or worse I was ready to defend myself and being able to have my gun that day and draw down on those two men made a difference I remember also screaming at them to
“Make a better decision today”
I did that for two reasons, I wanted anyone around to notice something was going on, I also wanted those two guys to know that I was ready to defend myself at all cost.

Great article BassCliff thanks for sharing.

Hi,

BassCliff

The article makes a lot of good points. I think all of them are relevant OUTSIDE your home. Inside my home I don't think I will be yelling anything. I won't be shooting anyone in the back either.

Hi,

The article makes a lot of good points. I think all of them are relevant OUTSIDE your home. Inside my home I don't think I will be yelling anything. I won't be shooting anyone in the back either.

Very good. Just be sure your target is an actual intruder and not a family member making noise in the middle of the night. Perhaps you live alone and don't have to worry about a situation like that. 😉

BassCliff

Hi,

Very good. Just be sure your target is an actual intruder and not a family member making noise in the middle of the night. Perhaps you live alone and don't have to worry about a situation like that. 😉

BassCliff

My wife who sleeps next to me and wouldn't have a reason to force entry and whom I would notice if she wasn't right there next to me. Only one other person with a key and that's my kid and she knows way better than to let herself into the house in the middle of the night. Even growing up she knew better than to try to sneak in or out.

Then there's the low level, ground level lighting that allows me to see very well in the darkness, but which will not help anyone unfamiliar with the layout, especially if they haven't had time to adjust to the dark.

Besides, I would also never shoot at anything I couldn't positively identify.

Hi,

I firmly believe that when I was faced with either being robbed or had my truck stolen or worse I was ready to defend myself and being able to have my gun that day and draw down on those two men made a difference I remember also screaming at them to
“Make a better decision today”
I did that for two reasons, I wanted anyone around to notice something was going on, I also wanted those two guys to know that I was ready to defend myself at all cost.

Great article BassCliff thanks for sharing.

I'm glad your situation worked out well. That's scary **** but you took control.

Although society is changing, I still think the majority bad guys are looking for easy targets, they are opportunists, not looking for a fight. Show them you are willing to ruin their day and most will beat feet.

However, there seems to be an increasing number of evil people in the world that just want to do harm without concern for their own well being. These zombies are truly frightening. Be prepared to defend yourself in an instant because these crazy possessed creeps have no problem wreaking senseless havoc.

BassCliff

However, there seems to be an increasing number of evil people in the world that just want to do harm without concern for their own well being. These zombies are truly frightening. Be prepared to defend yourself in an instant because these crazy possessed creeps have no problem wreaking senseless havoc.

BassCliff

These are the folks you meet on the streets in North St. Louis. I worked there for 9 years. Dove into holes and behind stuff more times than I can count. I got shot at twice in the last year I worked up there. Digging holes in the street to repair and maintain gas lines while wearing a level 3A vest and carrying a .45. Sucks bad in the summer time.

Constant situational awareness goes a long way. Even these street thugs aren't real eager to get too close when they see you watching them with your hand in your jacket.

On the bright side it's how I met the cop who's classes I regularly take. I'll be heading to one here in about an hour in fact.

Hi,

My wife who sleeps next to me and wouldn't have a reason to force entry and whom I would notice if she wasn't right there next to me. Only one other person with a key and that's my kid and she knows way better than to let herself into the house in the middle of the night. Even growing up she knew better than to try to sneak in or out.

Then there's the low level, ground level lighting that allows me to see very well in the darkness, but which will not help anyone unfamiliar with the layout, especially if they haven't had time to adjust to the dark.

Besides, I would also never shoot at anything I couldn't positively identify.

Seems you have your situation well thought out. I'll need to make a new plan once Mrs. BassCliff and I move into our new house. We will have visiting granddaughters who may have to get up in the middle of the night.

BassCliff

Hi,

These are the folks you meet on the streets in North St. Louis. I worked there for 9 years. Dove into holes and behind stuff more times than I can count. I got shot at twice in the last year I worked up there. Digging holes in the street to repair and maintain gas lines while wearing a level 3A vest and carrying a .45. Sucks bad in the summer time.

Constant situational awareness goes a long way. Even these street thugs aren't real eager to get too close when they see you watching them with your hand in your jacket.

On the bright side it's how I met the cop who's classes I regularly take. I'll be heading to one here in about an hour in fact.

Oh! My! Goodness! :oops:

I've been taking training sessions twice a month for the last six months taught by a salty old former combat marine and retired LEO. You talk about eye-opening stuff, this guy has seen it all and lived through it. I'm sure your coach has too. Great stuff. I think it's the kind of training everybody needs. Good on you.

BassCliff

Hi,

Oh! My! Goodness! :oops:

I've been taking training sessions twice a month for the last six months taught by a salty old former combat marine and retired LEO. You talk about eye-opening stuff, this guy has seen it all and lived through it. I'm sure your coach has too. Great stuff. I think it's the kind of training everybody needs. Good on you.

BassCliff

Yep. He's a 20 year combat marine veteran and USMC marksman instructor and has been LEO ( now a police captain) for the last 19 years in one of the worst neighborhoods in N. St. Louis.

Hi,

Seems you have your situation well thought out. I'll need to make a new plan once Mrs. BassCliff and I move into our new house. We will have visiting granddaughters who may have to get up in the middle of the night.

BassCliff
Kids in the house definitely requires a plan. Mine changed when my daughter moved out.

For one, if possible keep the room the grandkids are in behind you. That is not in between you and the most likely places you would have to shoot while making your stand. Also be sure to invest in all the things that buy you time before an intruder can gain access, that way you can hopefully have time to get all your family members in a safe room with you. Cameras, lights, dogs, high quality security locks, space, etc..

I've read a few posts about "practicing Situational Awareness", I don't know that Situational Awareness is something you can "practice". I don't think it's something you do it's something you either have or you don't.

I honestly don't know if you can teach somebody situational awareness any other way than by putting them in a position where they have to pay attention to what's going on around them or they're going to have to suffer actual consequences.

I learned situational awareness by working in an environment where situational awareness is a critical skill. It's been my experience that getting caught by surprise once or twice will really teach you to pay close attention to your surroundings.

I've read a few posts about "practicing Situational Awareness", I don't know that Situational Awareness is something you can "practice". I don't think it's something you do it's something you either have or you don't.

I honestly don't know if you can teach somebody situational awareness any other way than by putting them in a position where they have to pay attention to what's going on around them or they're going to have to suffer actual consequences.

I learned situational awareness by working in an environment where situational awareness is a critical skill. It's been my experience that getting caught by surprise once or twice will really teach you to pay close attention to your surroundings.
Agree
I learned it flying airplanes.

Good articles, Mike and BassCliff. Thanks for the links.

We are definitely living in an unprecedented and strange time. Keep a watchful eye out and practice with your firearms whenever you can.

Kids in the house definitely requires a plan. Mine changed when my daughter moved out.

For one, if possible keep the room the grandkids are in behind you. That is not in between you and the most likely places you would have to shoot while making your stand. Also be sure to invest in all the things that buy you time before an intruder can gain access, that way you can hopefully have time to get all your family members in a safe room with you. Cameras, lights, dogs, high quality security locks, space, etc..
My daughter and son are also trained to shoot. Hogs on the run and are very proficient shooters.
Adds another layer of home defense if I cannot “gather folks up” on an instant intrusion.
They have a locked safe near their rooms that can be accessed if 💩 goes to hell in a handbasket. Or if I’m not home

Agree
I learned it flying airplanes.

This is totally off topic but I read an excellent biography of the Red Baron that commented on what excellent situational awareness he had.

What the author used as an example was that all of the pilots under him talked about how they'd be in the middle of a multi plane dog fight and afterwards when they were back at base he would critique his Pilots "You did this wrong. You could have done this better. This was really good."

And they all said that even in the middle of a battle he was paying attention to what they were doing because that was his job.

Back