testtest

The Ultimate Nightstand Gun?

Annihilator

Emissary
Founding Member
Good read on the best nightstand gun, there pick is the 1911, which is a great pick, but for me I rather have a revolver, but that’s just me.

Good read on the best nightstand gun, there pick is the 1911, which is a great pick, but for me I rather have a revolver, but that’s just me.

While that’s definitely a great choice, I’m with you, @Annihilator —I prefer a wheelgun.
BC01BFE9-392E-4F92-93C2-C203249434B5.jpeg

(Not mine, but set up very similarly)

Agree with Ani and Hans, good article but I prefer a revolver. I like commonality so my wife's customized 637 with light and laser grip along with two speed loaders of .38s in her side table along with a Streamlight. My side has a model 60 with two speedloaders of the same. 38s along with an identical streamlight dual fuel light.

Never really considered 17 to be a magic number or requisite for any firearm i use. If I knew of a 17 round revolver I might use it in the nightstand but I don't. I prefer a revolver to a pistol for such use.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one.

Not a magic number, I just needed to pick something. I could have picked any number from 15 to 19 or so. To me you want as many rounds as you can get, without any negative side effects. I don't see any reason to go smaller than a G17, so no reason to hold fewer rounds either. Unless you prefer .45, then you could drop the number to around 12-14.

Not a magic number, I just needed to pick something. I could have picked any number from 15 to 19 or so. To me you want as many rounds as you can get, without any negative side effects. I don't see any reason to go smaller than a G17, so no reason to hold fewer rounds either. Unless you prefer .45, then you could drop the number to around 12-14.

First, I want a revolver, as mentioned it is considered a very last line of defense. if I am in bed and the person has somehow gotten to me while I am still in bed. I want something that will go bang if the muzzle is jammed against them, not potentially go out of battery and do nothing. And it needs to operate from the first second with only one hand.

Second I am not home 100 percent of the time. My wife is not good with a pistol for various reasons but is extremely good with a revolver. I want her to be able to grab either side weapon and use it reasonably well.

And yes the first thing you will think is oh no one will ever get that far in my home without me knowing. Well ot happens more than we care to admit. Make mine a revolver.

Last edited:
First, I want a revolver, as mentioned it is considered a very last line of defense. if I am in bed and the person has somehow gotten to me while I am still in bed. I want something that will go bang if the muzzle is jammed against them, not potentially go out of battery and do nothing.

Second I am not home 100 percent of the time. My wife is not good with a pistol for various reasons but is extremely good with a revolver. I want her to be able to grab either side weapon and use it reasonably well.

Make mine a revolver.

These are reasons not to have more.

Lots of good ideas and opinions in this thread. The important thing is to thoroughly and realistically evaluate YOUR particular situation and come up with what works best for YOU.

Personally, I like the 1911 and the M1 Carbine for home defense duty--for MY particular situation, of course. (I have ARs and 12-ga pumps if the stuff REALLY hits the fan.)

Back