testtest

they twisted my arm

Well after taking this thing apart to oil it up and get ready to fire, i can see it is very cheaply made. everything is plastic, the rails the slide rides on is plastic. about all the trigger components are plastic, the recoil rod is plastic. This thing wasn't much cheaper in price than one built better.

Will have to keep the rails oiled up good cause metal against plastic ain't gonna last long.

Is this Ruger's cheap model or have all of them went this way? and yes, the hi point has more metal than this one.lol now it may shoot fine, but it wouldn't hold up to much shooting. now no more than i will shoot it should be fine. but it's definitely not a gun you take to the range every day. and i dang sure wouldn't carry it as a CCW.

After taking it apart i would not buy one if i knew it was all plastic inside. but it is what it is and i own it now. lol
Well, I wasn't gonna say anything because I am too polite, but Ruger semi auto handguns are hot garbage.

Well after taking this thing apart to oil it up and get ready to fire, i can see it is very cheaply made. everything is plastic, the rails the slide rides on is plastic. about all the trigger components are plastic, the recoil rod is plastic. This thing wasn't much cheaper in price than one built better.

Will have to keep the rails oiled up good cause metal against plastic ain't gonna last long.

Is this Ruger's cheap model or have all of them went this way? and yes, the hi point has more metal than this one.lol now it may shoot fine, but it wouldn't hold up to much shooting. now no more than i will shoot it should be fine. but it's definitely not a gun you take to the range every day. and i dang sure wouldn't carry it as a CCW.

After taking it apart i would not buy one if i knew it was all plastic inside. but it is what it is and i own it now. lol
Well, sorry to hear that on a new gun.
Ruger may have made some fine rifles, but I have never known anyone that falls in love with their pistols.
I’m not suprised on the build material honestly
i don't have any Ruger polymer guns, but i do have a Ruger SR 1911, and love it.

frankly, when i see a polymer Ruger gun in a magazine or in the display case, i walk on by them, or flip the pages.

they just never impressed me, and after reading about @Belt Fed 's field strip, i'm glad i walk on by them.

however to be honest, i ain't heard too many bad things about them, either.

just not for me.

@Belt Fed , maybe greasing would be better than oil on the rails..??

I have had Ruger polymer pistol in the past, P95, and yes the rails were also all polymer, I had no issues with them, just wait till it gets broken in, if you take a full size XDm pistol down, you will also notice the rear rails are polymer, never had a issue there either, just keep it lubed but not over lubed and all will be fine.

Last edited:

Belt fed you will still have fun with it I am sure

Well, sorry to hear that on a new gun.
Ruger may have made some fine rifles, but I have never known anyone that falls in love with their pistols.
I’m not suprised on the build material honestly

I don't know anyone that has a Ruger pistol other than a revolver or their 1911. They make some quality bolt actions though.
Well, I wasn't gonna say anything because I am too polite, but Ruger semi auto handguns are hot garbage.
Hahaha i'm glad someone said it. I didn't want to be that guy. I hated even selling a Ruger pistol to anyone when I was selling firearms. But they are cheap and that appeals to people. I get it kind of, but you do get what you pay for.

I do have a few older ruger polymer pistols and they are not this cheaply made. the whole fire control unit is plastic

20230521_114034.jpg

Ruger's polymer is a fiberglass reinforced polymer, very tough and durable, lots of gun manufacturers have polymer RSA, it is what it is, seriously , before you get in an uproar, take it out and shoot it, they are nice pistols and realiable for the money, you didn't go wrong.

EDIT to add: like I mentioned tear down a Xdm full size, it also has polymer rear slide rails, there really isn't much stress on the rails, especially on a 9mm, now if it was a 10mm, I would say yea.

I like the Ruger Max 9. It has nice sights, optic plate, 2 mags and shoots fine. I bought a red dot for it that I haven't yet tried, but I did notice I can co-witness the sights. I don't quite understand the Ruger plastic pistol hate, but not everyone has the same taste in guns, women (men) or politics.
For me it's more the aesthetics and ergonomics. Kind of like Glock. They aren't comfortable in my hand, and I don't like the way they look. While I did state I do not know anyone who owns one personally, I did sell quite a bit of them, and not once did they ever come back for repairs or did the person have any complaints.

I had to get mine out and run some rounds through it to see what the deal is all about.
I can't say I disagree with you. But after seeing the price and several reviews, I'm glad to have one. Most of my carry guns are so expensive, they are not for 3rd party victims. The Ruger is more of a multi purpose carry.
Being a 1911 guy, I don't have a lot of respect for plastic guns, but I do have a few.
The Ruger seems to make competition with the g19 at half the price. I use only Lithium grease on all my plastic guns.
I just noticed my man, Hickok', has a video on the '9. It's saying something that he bought one too.

Sorry brother. That Ruger isn't even close to being competition for a G19. In fact it's so far away from a G19 that a G19 is just a little dot to it.

Also Hickok 45 has and likes a lot of guns I personally think are terrible. Like the DP12.

my local store is like that
they know exactly which buttons to push to make my wallet liberate itself of green stuff
inst life grand (y)
Yes sir. Last Saturday I paid off a Ruger 556 that I put on layaway a couple of weeks earlier. The salesman knows I'm a former Marine and like military type rifles.

The Ruger AR 556 has Magpul grip and hand guards. Once he put it in my hands I could not put it down.

The first time I walked in there I walked out with a used Beretta APX. I should have not gone back but they do have some nice AR's sometimes. They even had a CETME once.

I'm kind of glad I got the Ruger AR. It contrasts with my Ruger New Model Vaquero...:) But I am staying away from that store or at least try to...:)

That Security 9 is a nice handgun. Congratulations on the new purchase.

Back