testtest

Thinking of a longarm

I'm really partial to a super precise bolt-action myself, but a Scout or a SOCOM M1A is also a great way to go. Alternatively, I have a Remlin 1895 guide gun. I have no complaints. A shorty .45-70 is an absolute monster and there are not problems with hitting my mark at any reasonable range. It's not a long-range rifle and was never intended to be. If you want that go get a quality .30-06 or .300 Win Mag.

The first Marlins after Remington bought & moved the factory had issues. Haven't heard of any issues with the new Marlins after Ruger bought the Co. and re-started production.

Go with a .357 lever-action if you live in a non-free state.
That's right it was Remington who bought them and had problems.

Thanks for the input guys. Lots of good experience. Right now as I sit here scrolling thru the internet, I am thinking M1 carbine paratrooper is in the lead, I do love those little things. Never had the para version and that would be fun.

Last edited:
I'm really partial to a super precise bolt-action myself, but a Scout or a SOCOM M1A is also a great way to go. Alternatively, I have a Remlin 1895 guide gun. I have no complaints. A shorty .45-70 is an absolute monster and there are not problems with hitting my mark at any reasonable range. It's not a long-range rifle and was never intended to be. If you want that go get a quality .30-06 or .300 Win Mag.
I am thinking something light and fun right now. But an 06 is definitely down the road, I want another Garand. Probably best not to wait too long, they are getting harder to find in nice shape. M1A might scratch that itch too...

For god sakes don't get the Kel-Tec. It might be an ok gun ( I doubt it but..) but not compared to some of your other options.

FWIW, I was never into the whole AR thing either. It just seemed to me that if I was going to have a SHTF weapon that wasn't full auto it should be a shotgun. Nevertheless, the scamdemic and the ensuing public panic and price gouging convinced me that I probably ought to get one just to have it. That was August of 2020. I bought an out of the box 16" carbine from Adams Arms for $800. I have since built two more. A 10.5" and a 16" .223 Wylde. While none of them are really my weapon of choice, I do think they have a role to serve in the overall big picture. Their primary draw for me though is they are just fun to shoot.

In my opinion, guys like us who buy, shoot, train and collect firearms should own at least one.

That said, I would listen to Hans here. The HK or the Steyr is the way forward.

Around 2008 Ruger started making the Mini-14 with a tapered bull barrel to remedy the barrel whip they were known for prior to that time period. I have a 580 series Mini-14 and it's just as accurate as any AR I own or have shot out to 300yds.

The Century Uzi's have had a history of problems with broken firing pins and stove pipe issues. A CZ Scorpion beats even the original UZi hands down especially for the price a Scorpion can be had either in pistol or carbine options.
I can’t help as a kid watching the “A-Team” ‘80s TV show to get out of my mind on a Mini-14.
They fired thousands of rounds an episode and didnt hit squat.
Funny as it sounds that prejudgement held thru me when using some buddies guns, and I never took a liking to them

Back