testtest

This Is How You Would Lose a Gunfight

Hard to know what ammo to put grocery money towards. More practice or self defense rounds. If my 2 mags of self defense were ever used I can't imagine the situation-what is everyone thinking to buy?
If you’ve verified your carry ammo works in your pistol, and is what you consider accurate and controllable…there’s no reason to shoot it more than once a year.

I would recommend replacing the round you chamber after 4-5 chamberings; the bullet can (rarely, but it can happen) get pushed back into the case, which would cause a spike in pressure and possibly damage your pistol (and you, worst case scenario), and the primer can also get deadened from multiple chamberings.

Personally—I’ve often carried JHP’s in the magazine I have in the pistol, and FMJ in the spare(s). Nothing wrong with that at all.

If you’ve verified your carry ammo works in your pistol, and is what you consider accurate and controllable…there’s no reason to shoot it more than once a year.

I would recommend replacing the round you chamber after 4-5 chamberings; the bullet can (rarely, but it can happen) get pushed back into the case, which would cause a spike in pressure and possibly damage your pistol (and you, worst case scenario), and the primer can also get deadened from multiple chamberings.

Personally—I’ve often carried JHP’s in the magazine I have in the pistol, and FMJ in the spare(s). Nothing wrong with that at all.
The only time I have to re-chamber a round is when I take a carry gun to the range. I will either empty the mag and put the 1st round last or just leave it in the gun and put the range mag in and shoot, then replace the chambered round with a new one after I clean the gun and load it for carry.

The only time I have to re-chamber a round is when I take a carry gun to the range. I will either empty the mag and put the 1st round last or just leave it in the gun and put the range mag in and shoot, then replace the chambered round with a new one after I clean the gun and load it for carry.
I have a personal rule…that is, if I’m not carrying it, the chamber is empty; you can’t just pick it up and make it go bang by pressing the trigger.

I kinda cheat with revolvers, where I just open the cylinder, while leaving the rounds in.

Works for me…and having to swap a few rounds out is, for me, not a big deal.

YMMV.

Hard to know what ammo to put grocery money towards. More practice or self defense rounds. If my 2 mags of self defense were ever used I can't imagine the situation-what is everyone thinking to buy?
I guess it depends on your financial situation. I mean if it's really grocery money I would buy groceries. Otherwise I would save up $250 and buy 1000 rounds of ball ammo ( FMJ). Then next time you have some money buy a couple boxes of self defense ammo. Keep alternating like that and next thing you know you'll have 21 ammo cans full stashed behind the bureau in your spare bedroom.

By the way. This is better than half price and shipping is a flat $12.50. Normally you're gonna pay $25 or better for a box of 20, here you're getting 50 for $28.50. And they have it in 124, 124+P and 147.

I have a personal rule…that is, if I’m not carrying it, the chamber is empty; you can’t just pick it up and make it go bang by pressing the trigger.

I kinda cheat with revolvers, where I just open the cylinder, while leaving the rounds in.

Works for me…and having to swap a few rounds out is, for me, not a big deal.

YMMV.
I keep the guns in my rotation fully loaded. In a safe.

I just check for visible setback. If I don't see any, then I re-chamber it.

And I save all setback bullets and then shoot them off at some point. I can't remember the last time I had one of those setbacks not feed and fire properly.

I just check for visible setback. If I don't see any, then I re-chamber it.

And I save all setback bullets and then shoot them off at some point. I can't remember the last time I had one of those setbacks not feed and fire properly.

Pretty much the same; I’ve had one very obvious setback (see below), never had a dud.

Still, why roll the dice. Ammo is cheap.
I've only ever found one that was questionable and I also fired it safely. It was a .40 Speer Gold Dot.

I had a 200gr+P .45 Gold Dot set back once…and it was pretty severe. Didn’t fire it.

I've talked about this before. Several years ago my wife decided that we were going to have an ammunition budget. I don't even know what it is but she puts a certain amount in a specific envelope marked ammunition every month. When she finds a good price on ammunition she buys as much as she can reasonably afford.

Very good article here. The author is a guy named Dr Gary Roberts. He's got to tells the FBI what kind of ammunition to get.

He is also recognized as an expert in this field by several other people who are well known and recognized as experts in the fields of training and self-defense

What length blade is recommended and what about the design with a finger grip in it? Unsure what to get-serrated,curved-smooth? Have been looking at sites suggested here. Gerber Remix, Karabit,Kershaw,etc. Thanks.

Frank, thanks-you are an inspiration. I will get busy with knife-learning. It seem it's either knife or gun as unable to shoot 1 handed? Talking Texas, I read about a man -Jack? who shot a person who broke into his church, killed 2 before Jack killed him-took over 9 months for him to be cleared from 1st degree murder. Was a story on Law Shield. The gun climate is bad all over. As Bassbob said-mileage may vary. Defending yourself has no yardstick . My fav t-shirt says "Assuming I'm just an old lady was your 1st mistake" With everyone so helpful I can mean that. You are all great.
😁 My wife and her mother both have that t-shirt (her mom is 87!)

Fun shirt, another one I wear says "I won't be remembered as a woman who kept her mouth shut" and "Well behaved women seldom make history" Family geneology papers includes a receipt for a great-great? grandfather selling Annie Oakley her 1st gun. My cousin just called and found a link on Ancestory for a probable family link to her-Annie Oakley. Guess I'm a late bloomer. Thanks for the ammo tips. Started an envelope for ammo fund. Blessings.

Fun shirt, another one I wear says "I won't be remembered as a woman who kept her mouth shut" and "Well behaved women seldom make history" Family geneology papers includes a receipt for a great-great? grandfather selling Annie Oakley her 1st gun. My cousin just called and found a link on Ancestory for a probable family link to her-Annie Oakley. Guess I'm a late bloomer. Thanks for the ammo tips. Started an envelope for ammo fund. Blessings.
Just a thought, but maybe instead of derailing This Thread completely you could start your own?

Back