testtest

Tips For Comfortable Carry

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
There are a number of ways to immediately improve your overall comfort level when carrying for a full 8-10 hour day. Let’s take a closer look at some tips for comfortable carry.

Tips For Comfortable Carry

1645848456285.png

For long day active carries (in the public domain) with same set up, I use a OWB holster with either a Hellcat or Shield Plus, and a Versa Carry double stitched leather belt. The holster can be Kydex, Leather, or Hybrid and typically an A Shirt covered by a loose print shirt. An IWB with same set up when spending more time indoors with people.
I will carry a Commander 1911 on some of the above-mentioned scenarios and always a full sized 1911 when out in the country (deer lease fishing etc.). A knife is always clipped in my pocket.

Best advice I tell people is carry what you need and use but not much more. You use a flashlight. Or reasonably need one carry one, you need a large capacity pistol and magazines or feel like you could, carry one. The list goes on, comfort can be a balance between needs, perceived needs, and wants.

I have stumbled my way out of pitch black on two occasions. And I perform early morning inspections. Now I carry a flashlight and spare battery. I carry a aaa olight I3t with two settings bright and dim, and a spare lithium aaa. It's the brightest tiny light i found with a teasonable low also. I do not carry "tactical pen" my sak midnight manager has a pen on it.

I am comfortable carrying a jframe in my home area and work area. Never seen roaming gangs of thugs. When I go to Detroit or Flint I carry something larger and even a new York reload in my hip pocket.

I am a big believer in knives, I carry two one available for each hand. A Spyderco Cricket in my watch pocket and Microtech UCX85 in my left front pocket.

Comfort in my mind takes trial and error, and balance.

Last edited:
Hi,

The most comfortable modification I've made to my carry rig is the addition of a Dark Star Gear muzzle pad. On my AIWB kydex holster the pad protects my soft spots and actually pushes the handle closer to my abdomen for better concealment.

Here's my rig. I tried some felt pads. They helped but the kydex would still pinch.

AM-JKLV-UtVXk-ZRqmlkrdEL-uTDE1ZbWPwAs7SSaw13a5hprYTyVxZZoaWIRGRQHpeUQ8wc4Uubw7SyE-8pVya_CWIC89V0N15JR7KCTqWnd7bsoMGlLpNm0_ei77P0ZqVffG_F3ibbYhedc5W4G2LrkqKM5Q=w1236-h927-no

I'm using the silver teardrop shaped pad, not the flat foam.

AM-JKLXfay7QXtpgw97dlRCgvXk4Y6LXAM0LW7V-SsaO-KJR-zW_-Eizdw_2t-B49SLly7Hs1YUB-FoxmwlB-vcnIaHvE_fiZwMYS8rIOPYeYEGOcR_Z1JoGfYCmFPbGgmL341gX6zKaSFogGZiL5MRVkLNhyQ=w1236-h927-no

AM-JKLW_y6P4INObjF0Nt0VCVxqodLXN5_Vq4En9SkCay0kMdR7-uv4NZA3Ko1oXwi2FVwssObBKAa7_VWfOJkf73mF1l1hmqHcG-Lvyd81qYaZVbGzXC7FZqM8p0AgjYlD_9zzAvTBbq0tJH1mV-wSoOWxxvw=w1236-h927-no

The addition of a DCC clip ( https://discreetcarryconcepts.com/Monoblock-Gear-Clip™-1-5-*Sterile-No-Logo*-p212569605 ) my rig is secure, stable, and comfortable for all-day wear.

AM-JKLXcwPYoB494PcxCyP6Jb9n2auNgpcbMpHlB98Qsz9uybft0PQyjzPKI9piUDUziyIuwrODI6qmAwfEXUMrITjCwXP6IkdQTAliI7EUtYBPrgcAbBxtxJwE2wCF12gAuiYnczVgq4LbQLSCY2LP9a2kVNw=w864-h927-no

I've got a DCC clip on my horizontal mag carrier too. It rides outside my belt, under my shirt, and rarely prints.

AM-JKLWLNerJgG0Tb6l_OEMfo-zqdCeGXPWQ0Mobf9cYXS29qQ05kFbB1UN9GkZr9VfSbVR039c56VBuShjS_-j3rG2k-m1abhHEkeB8Fx3NTYBgRVOzB5vKVcHSBAnZqcml5DGvyWn7xOnsha-vKpybQNVUsA=w1236-h927-no

I have my friend @TSiWRX to thank for alerting me to these accessories. They work well for me.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

I use a "Clinger Cushion" on the body side of the one IWB holster I own. Only use it at certain times like if a tucked shirt is required. I'm typically an OWB kind of guy, and most often real leather. (y)(y)(y)

I did IWB when I was younger but as time went on it got to be uncomfortable and my hip started to burn when I did it. So I switched to OWB.

I'm lucky enough to live in a high altitude temperate climate so I can always get away with a cover shirt.

With the exception of the water bottle this is what I carry daily on my person

This holster is very similar to my OWB leather holsters from "Blackhills" leather. I think the mod# of mine is BH 21 P. I have 3 of them, each for a different pistol. All mine are left handed though, and clearanced as necessary for my RDS.

If you're like Night Rider and I and have a few years on us that makes the IWB holsters not as comfortable as 'used to be', then look into "Blackhills" leather and ask for Rudy. He'll do you right and at the right price.

Full disclosure: I have absolutely no financial interest in "Blackhills" leather, directly nor indirectly. I just appreciate good quality and value when I see it. (y)(y)(y)

This holster is very similar to my OWB leather holsters from "Blackhills" leather. I think the mod# of mine is BH 21 P. I have 3 of them, each for a different pistol. All mine are left handed though, and clearanced as necessary for my RDS.

If you're like Night Rider and I and have a few years on us that makes the IWB holsters not as comfortable as 'used to be', then look into "Blackhills" leather and ask for Rudy. He'll do you right and at the right price.

Full disclosure: I have absolutely no financial interest in "Blackhills" leather, directly nor indirectly. I just appreciate good quality and value when I see it. (y)(y)(y)
Have used Rudy's leather for years, it's top notch.

Best advice I tell people is carry what you need and use but not much more. You use a flashlight. Or reasonably need one carry one, you need a large capacity pistol and magazines or feel like you could, carry one. The list goes on, comfort can be a balance between needs, perceived needs, and wants.

I have stumbled my way out of pitch black on two occasions. And I perform early morning inspections. Now I carry a flashlight and spare battery. I carry a aaa olight I3t with two settings bright and dim, and a spare lithium aaa. It's the brightest tiny light i found with a teasonable low also. I do not carry "tactical pen" my sak midnight manager has a pen on it.

I am comfortable carrying a jframe in my home area and work area. Never seen roaming gangs of thugs. When I go to Detroit or Flint I carry something larger and even a new York reload in my hip pocket.

I am a big believer in knives, I carry two one available for each hand. A Spyderco Cricket in my watch pocket and Microtech UCX85 in my left front pocket.

Comfort in my mind takes trial and error, and balance.
After the military I left the cities and logged for awhile then ran a ranch in the Idaho mountains. When I returned to the city I became a deputy sheriff, and in all my jobs I carried a fixed blade along with with 2 folders, a small folder so people don't panic when you open a box then a work folder which is a OKC XM-1 which is tough and heavy. My fixed blades are all under 4in and my favorite is a Forseti steel which can be on strong side or week side and it is tough enough to handle many jobs including wet work. I have been ask why so small and I tell I don't make big fires, I make survival fires and if its your last stand your going to be CQ and big blades are for movies IMO as my teacher taught me for three yrs B4 he passed. Yes I carry a lot and shoulder bags are my choice and I need to be ready as I have another job. I am sole caretaker for my wife who is on oxygen 24/7 so I have to get home or what ever.

I've got several Hanks belts, Extreme, Harness Leather and Bison belts.
I've not been able to find a better, stouter 100% leather belt.
Love them.
About 18yrs ago I bought a Aker gun belt and last year I bought a new one, it was not wore out but it showed its age and the load it carried for those many years. I tried some others during that period but for me the others fell short so that is what I will stay with plus there oter items are very good. For a Holster for a fulls size XD 45 my custom IWB from Nelson leather just keeps runen and gunen for my big boy but getting to my 1911s Bang Bang Leather made for me and is called Shadow. I do hope I can find a affordable shoulder holster as my Jackass rig only lasted 8yrs but back when it only cost me $60 but thats the old days and yes they were better than these last days.

Back